PDA

View Full Version : Uplay...

stylisticsagi
09-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Okay you already here me comming.

Be extremly carefull with how you are gonna emplement uplay.
Know that 90% of all negative reactions of 2070 are because of uplay...

U are ubisoft so off course you are gonna use uplay. But when we look at 1404 we see almost no problems sinds almost everything is run from your computer (apart from the acgievements and multiplayer).

It would be a tremendous shame if 1800 got bad revieuws or playability because uplay is ****ing things up.

AgmasGold
09-19-2017, 03:10 PM
I 100% agree with you. The problems I have had with Uplay in the past are so frustrating, and I've spent hours fiddling with Uplay to try and get a game to start.

KomodoC
09-27-2017, 09:36 AM
They should add a LAN option. It's the only way I'll play the game, I can't care less of playing online, I want to play with friends in the same room, without having to rely on internet connection.

It's either this, or I'll stick with Anno 1701 and 1404

AgmasGold
09-27-2017, 12:39 PM
You can (apparently) start Uplay in offline mode (https://support.ubi.com/en-US/faqs/000016033/How-Do-I-Run-the-Uplay-PC-Client-in-Offline-Mode-PC/). I can't remember if I tried it or not, but I think you could play 2205 offline, you just didn't have access to the online featues such as the player market.

PrimarchJarus
02-08-2018, 10:22 PM
I bought Anno 2070 on Steam and I see no reason to why I would need of the damn U(don't)play if I already have Steam installed in my PC! I want to be able to play my games in peace, both online and offline, without having to worry about missing features and/or DLCs that, -- for some obscure reason -- need my PC to be online on the damn U(don't)play! So please, let the players that use Steam or Origin to buy and play their games in peace, without the need of using your clearly inferior DRM platform.

alenjenny
02-09-2018, 07:23 AM
I was planning to start a topic about this already before I saw yours. This is a very serious issue and it seems that a lot of negative feedbacks from ANNO players are surrounding UPLAY, being directed at the poor usability, poor implementation and forced to use Uplay to play the game. I'm certain this greatly affects the game's sales, thus severely decreasing what the developers should be earning for making great games. Looking at all recent Ubisoft published games, I dont think Uplay is going anywhere and its forced implementation on all their published games is only going to get worse.

DEVELOPER, PLEASE HEAR THIS:

So, instead of doing away Uplay completely (which I'm absolutely sure Ubisoft will not agree), perhaps incorporate a feature that allows players to play in offline mode (but with full functionality of the games while in offline - e.g. achievements, global markets, voting, etc - except for multiplayer mode, which is understandable). At least this way, when Uplay server goes down (I've encountered this myself several times, which is extremely frustrating), we are still able to play our game in peace. and the game will be fairly judged and criticized by players worldwide, instead of being unfairly penalized just because of the failure of Uplay alone.....

iruet
02-09-2018, 07:42 PM
As far as I am aware, Uplay has an overall uptime of over 90%, which is pretty good... If they manage to improve that, I don't mind them using Uplay at all :)

And I have been told that most Uplay issues occure when they just updatet uplay... Less updates would help too :)
I prefer using Uplay, since it allows me to pay multiple games via one account

ruuti0
02-09-2018, 08:38 PM
I don't have anything against it if they integrate Anno 1800 to Uplay.

I have only once had login problem (few days for now) all these years, but if I can't play one game for few days its not end of life for me, I have plenty of other stuff to do too.

iruet
02-10-2018, 11:36 AM
I don't have anything against it if they integrate Anno 1800 to Uplay.

I have only once had login problem (few days for now) all these years, but if I can't play one game for few days its not end of life for me, I have plenty of other stuff to do too.

Agreed, Uplay has a better uptime than some other Ubi service ^^

AgmasGold
02-10-2018, 12:16 PM
I have nothing against Uplay either. I have had troubles with it the past, but you have to face that having DRM on a game, ensures more sales and hopefully allows for innovation and further development. Steam DRM has been proven to be very easy to break, to the point where some games will be cracked the same day they release on steam.

An offline mode is a must though, especially if its the Uplay service that is down, and people just want to play a single player game.

iruet
02-10-2018, 12:51 PM
An offline mode is a must though, especially if its the Uplay service that is down, and people just want to play a single player game.

It would be nice if the pc uplay client supports offline mode... Like when u click on it, u enter in offline mode, when u wanne go online, u select the "online mode"

ruuti0
02-10-2018, 02:07 PM
I have nothing against Uplay either. I have had troubles with it the past, but you have to face that having DRM on a game, ensures more sales and hopefully allows for innovation and further development. Steam DRM has been proven to be very easy to break, to the point where some games will be cracked the same day they release on steam.

Yeah I get your point about offline mode, but we don't know how deeply 1800 is integrated to Uplay technology. It could be that so many core features of 1800 are integrated to Uplay online mode that offline mode isn't possible.

AgmasGold
02-10-2018, 05:24 PM
That is the end goal I feel for a lot of games now from big publishers - make the online features compelling enough that people want to play online, and make people want to buy the game rather than pirate it and loose the online functionality. Unfortunately, that can come at a detriment to offline, single player games.

ruuti0
02-10-2018, 05:36 PM
That is the end goal I feel for a lot of games now from big publishers - make the online features compelling enough that people want to play online, and make people want to buy the game rather than pirate it and loose the online functionality. Unfortunately, that can come at a detriment to offline, single player games.

It is true, but it also work against pirating at some level. Sure some people will pirate it anyway, but if you want experience full glory of game: you need to get real version.
This way they make more money and I understand why they want to have it that way. And it is also better for us: more money and resources they have make next new Anno!

iruet
02-14-2018, 04:08 PM
It is true, but it also work against pirating at some level. Sure some people will pirate it anyway, but if you want experience full glory of game: you need to get real version.
This way they make more money and I understand why they want to have it that way. And it is also better for us: more money and resources they have make next new Anno!

Uplay is reliable enough... It has over 95% procent uptime....

Uplay shouldn't be the issue, next to that Uplay allows for easier access to the games with one account... Saves you the trouble of making one for each game (since most people would buy multiple games from one publisher)

Next to that the addition of something like Uplay allows for better legal registration (expecially with the new law coming in Europe this May), Ubi has to supply you what they did with your personal information, it safes loads of time if people have "just" one account... So it's both cheaper and more practically at that point...

And pirate? Yeah people always try to kill systems, that ain't something Ubi can prevent :(

WorldC
02-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Hmm...

In the 90s I didn't have any account for any game...
In 2018 I have Steam, Uplay, Origin etc etc

next to that Uplay allows for easier access to the games with one account.

Is a sales pitch... in practice it's less easy for the consumer.
- He has to manage multiple credentials
- He has to manage multiple software suites
- He has to back up more locations
- information is spread over multiple tools
- Global statistics are not possible.
- Friends, chat, clans, etc are fragmented and prevent easy introduction to friends "other games"
- Invoices are from multiple company's
- Parental setting need to be added multiple times
- etc etc

While I do think Uplay is working fine, and is no problem at all.. Since I play 2205 again, I have had 2 error messages "can not connect". But they where gone in about 5 minutes.

iruet
02-14-2018, 05:51 PM
While I do think Uplay is working fine, and is no problem at all.. Since I play 2205 again, I have had 2 error messages "can not connect". But they where gone in about 5 minutes.

In my experience that is usually the game server, not Uplay... cozz if Uplay is down, you see loads of requests for support over @twitter (http://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport)

WorldC
02-14-2018, 06:03 PM
In my experience that is usually the game server, not Uplay... cozz if Uplay is down, you see loads of requests for support over @twitter (http://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport)

Hmm... you could be right indeed. I'll pay some more attention next time.

ruuti0
02-14-2018, 06:26 PM
And pirate? Yeah people always try to kill systems, that ain't something Ubi can prevent :(

Ubisoft can't stop pirating, but they can stop pirates using certain features of the game that are integrated to Uplay and user accounts, which surely make many people buy the game, who want to experience competely experience what game can offer, people who otherwise would just pirated it.

That makes it good idea to integrate their games to Uplay = they get more money = better for all who love Anno series, because then they have more resources to develope our loved game and they most likely will make another sequel(s) in the future!

iruet
02-14-2018, 09:43 PM
That makes it good idea to integrate their games to Uplay = they get more money = better for all who love Anno series, because then they have more resources to develope our loved game and they most likely will make another sequel(s) in the future!

Or they use it for other less fun games :(

ruuti0
02-14-2018, 10:10 PM
Or they use it for other less fun games :(

What you mean with less fun games?