PDA

View Full Version : Pirates!

stylisticsagi
09-18-2017, 03:27 PM
So we have encountered diffrent types of pirates over the anno series.

And i am curious wich type of pirate behavior most of you guys like to see return in 1800.

In many games the pirates where run by a grumpy maniac who was extremly difficult to give a peacefull approach.
Because of this i really liked the behavior of the pirates in 1404 asking for protection money and then he even came trading with you.
Yet i also feeled that because of this he was to easy and to reliable.

Personally i think it would be nice to have more then one pirate character.

Perhaps a pirate like 1404 but perhaps another who would bother you with quests to keep a peace treaty instead of gold.
Perhaps adding a pirate faction who would attack you with acts of sabotage instead of attacking you on the sea and has his hideout somewhere in your city...
I also liked the original 1602 where pirates settled on island and built a base rather then starting with one.
The question should also be should the pirates be able to whipe them completly out or not? in 1404 this wasn't the case.

But i also know many players don't ply anno for it's military but more for it's economics and therefore if you really wan peace with the pirates you should be able to(apart from perhaps a few unpredictable occasions with a letter of marque or something...).

So what do you guys think and like to see in 1800 with pirates

ANN0nymity
09-18-2017, 06:04 PM
I like your idea of different types of pirates. Maybe like multiple different NPC's who have a totally different character and ways to act. Some that already have a base and others that will build there own base during the game like you said. And your idea of the pirate in your city is maybe a bit strange. Maybe if you would call them anarchists or something it would sound better. That they want to sabotage you and bomb some buildings or so.
Maybe if you add a parlement or something like that, you will have to keep a good position because they would start to revolt against you or your people would even want another ruler...
This is an idea of mine to add some more politics in the game. Some other ways to get control of a city, diplomacies,... This is to decrease the amount of slow war and "the person with the biggest fleet wins the game". (I do like the war system in ANNO 1404) Of course the game may not get too complicated. I just like different options to choose out. :D
But i really don't know if it would be better to add these politics into the game or not. :confused: A lot of players like just the creating part of ANNO, but I find war and other problems necessary to make it an ANNO game. War makes the difference between a similation and a game. I understand that you would like to be able to concentrate on the creation part so make these things optional.

My conclusion: Pirates are very inportant and definetly have to be there! :D
.... and war too ;)

banan1996.1996
09-18-2017, 08:25 PM
I definitely want to see pirates in Anno 1800. I didn't play two first Anno games so I don't know how pirates looked like there. I think that pirates should look more or less like in Anno 1404 and 2070. But I have some additional ideas. Here is my overall conception.

They should be aggressive, attacking and sinking our ships but also our warehouses and coastal storages stealing some valuable goods. We would be able to defend with our own warships in case of attacking ships or with our troops on land in case of attacking warehouses. They should also hijack our ships but maybe giving us some kind of ultimatum to pay with goods or money to get the ship back, we would have a few minutes to do this.

They should also demand money or some goods from time to time to maintain peace with them.

We should be able to ally with them by paying them a few times and then maybe doing a complicated chain quest for them. Another way would be to keep destroying their ships and showing them that we are more powerful like in Anno 1404.

We should be also able to defeat them completely like in Anno 2070 by destroying their entire base.

Of course their behavior and aggression would be changed by their difficulty settings, they would often attack and rarely offer peace agreement on hard and rarely attack and often offer peace on easy.

I mentioned that they would also demand goods not only money but of course only these goods which we can already produce on the current state of our city development.

SirDavidFirst
09-19-2017, 01:20 PM
I do like the idea of all sorts of pirates. But there are more kinds people in the 1800, like anarchism, nationalism, ant-monarchism and so on. If we are going down the history line, they all need to be in the mix, so we have police like in 2070 please.

stylisticsagi
09-19-2017, 02:03 PM
I just remebered the cool system in the original anno 1602 system.

However when they attacked you, you could raise the white flag (standard ability in 1602 of ships) and then the pirates came to your ship and stole al your goods and left your ship in peace.
This did not always work and then they attacked until the ship was destroyed. You could also give the pirates gold and the more you gave them, the less likely they where to attack you.

I also think that from the beginning it should be possible to bribe the pirates in deliberitly attacking an opponent.

AgmasGold
09-19-2017, 03:07 PM
Bribing pirates to attack an opponent sounds like a cool idea. It could come down to a bidding auction of some kind - if an opponent offers the pirates more than you, then obviously the pirates would follow their requests rather than yours.

stylisticsagi
11-18-2017, 04:11 PM
I remember a game called sins of a solar empire.
In wich there was a timer on wich pirates attacked and everyone could place bounty on eacht other and when the timer was depleted the pirates attacked the player with the highest bounty.
Perhaps a timer would not be in place in the world of anno but a simular bounty system would be nice. If an opponent is to bribe the pirates to attack you, you could bribe them even more to attack him instead of you. And off course the more the pirates get bribed the stronger they would become and the more traditionol protection money they would demand from you for not attacking you.

Olinater
11-20-2017, 12:41 PM
I really like the idea that you could pay pirates to attack the opponent. Maybe we could integrate it with a function that I really liked from 2070. In 2070 you were able to invest in Hector (once you were at peace) in the form of a 'shady deal'. This had no consequences on the map, but in 9/10 times you earned ridiculous amounts of money in the form of revenue (adding up to a positive balance) and a cash reward at the end of the period.
Maybe it could be possible to share the money of the loot the pirates made.

FHackner
11-20-2017, 02:47 PM
i really like the pirates in 1404 except for the fact that in a little bit of time they are easy to deal with by paying money.

stylisticsagi
11-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Yeah in 1404 they became "to easy" there should be a mix between 1404 and the attacking everything maniacs with no agenda.
Demanding money and Generally leave you alone would be better, but if all of the players are at peace with them they would once again go on attacking some ships or some kind.
Or perhaps a more unpredictible timer when the pirates are demanding bribes perhaps they would attack a ship and ask for a smaller sum to leave it alone.
Perhaps your crew could surrender and the pirates loot the cargo and leave the ship alone. Pirates who are bold enough to attack your harbours and settlements.
There are alot of options to make the pirates alot more interesting without having them to be an enemy wich can only be fought.
p.s. then again i really loved in 1404 that after a bribe pirates would trade with you.
And all of the games mostly had the option to attack another player however it always took ALOT of time to build op a relation bar of some kind before you could do so.
You should be able to have more interactions with pirates from the beginning on even if you are at war with them.

AgmasGold
11-21-2017, 10:01 AM
There could be something similar to what Thor Strindberg did in Anno 2070. He would randomly try to board some of your ships, even when at peace. Maybe a system like that, but with the pirates demanding extra gold to do so. Having a way to destroy/end conflict with pirates is also very important to me, as it gives another objective to strive towards.

ruuti0
12-13-2017, 06:21 PM
I loved pirates in all versions.. hopefully we get them back!

stylisticsagi
12-15-2017, 08:28 AM
There is absolutly no doubt pirates will come back especially in 1800!
The question here is how would you like their personality to be?
Diplomacy with them or not?
Predectible or not?
Perhaps entire new function systems for them?

If you compare the pirates in previous anno games the biggest diffrence was in 1404 where they could be a very reliable trade partner instead of an enemy, in all the other games pirates where just trigger happy maniancs wich had a lot of trouble to make some sort of peace with them and even then you got little game from them.
Personally i think 1404 they where to reliable but nonetheless i liked them more then just trigger happy maniacs where you could not make deals with them at all.

ruuti0
12-15-2017, 06:01 PM
There is absolutly no doubt pirates will come back especially in 1800!
The question here is how would you like their personality to be?
Diplomacy with them or not?
Predectible or not?
Perhaps entire new function systems for them?

If you compare the pirates in previous anno games the biggest diffrence was in 1404 where they could be a very reliable trade partner instead of an enemy, in all the other games pirates where just trigger happy maniancs wich had a lot of trouble to make some sort of peace with them and even then you got little game from them.
Personally i think 1404 they where to reliable but nonetheless i liked them more then just trigger happy maniacs where you could not make deals with them at all.

I agree that pirates got better in 1404, more realistic and that way more interesting NPC. More different options to interact with them = better, same goes for all other NPCs as well.

BitteWenden
12-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Arrr! I really liked the pirates in Anno 1404 too, and the options you had with them. Maybe something like that in 1800, but with a much bigger diplomatic drawback when working together with them.

stylisticsagi
12-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Yeah i think pirates should be the most choiuce bases party in the game with lots of advantages and disadvantages when working with or without them.
I think the system in 1404 is supper, but perhaps if everyone is at peace with the pirates it would be realistc that there numbers grow and they become mor epowerfull and more aggressive also in demending more money and more often, up to a point where anyone at a time would think going to war with these guys is cheaper then paying them protection money. And vice versa when they are small it is cheaper to go to peace with them and trade with them.

p.s. i see alot of option for your own population to treat you diffrently when you trade with the pirates.
In the whole workers vs elite theme the population might be even more difficult to handle when you trade with the pirates.