one week ago i bought silenthill3 & it won't work on my
Ge4MX.
But i downloaded the 3D analyze from:
http://www.tommti-systems.com and use this analyze and the
game run well.
now i want to know:
anyone use this analyze for POP4?
thanks!"

In reply to this. the game DOES run yes. and I loaded it up. You have to emulate the texture and shading settings...

However you can barely see anything... its all white theres a lil square in the bottom right where you can see the prince running around... its definately not palyable, not by a long shot.... i didnt try many combonations so maybe there is a way to emulate it better...

but... it DOES load the game but it is not playable.. I guess all it does is trick the game into thinking its a compatible card.....

Seriously... we shouldnt be yapping at the creators of the card, they may have marketed it wrong, but the developers of the game should have this in mind.. obviously there is thousands of ppl out there with a geforce card.. they are eliminating a lot of customers.....and this is unfair... why shoul di have to spend so much money ona new card to paly one game only to find out that in two months you guys come out with a new game that my card cant play....

SUCKS. If youre goingt o make such a fantastic looking game.. at least make it compatible... if it relies heavy on shading or watever.. make it an option to disable that and make it look like....i donno.. the thousands of other games that work fine with my card..... we may not see the prettiest possibility.. but at least we see a nice looking game that we can play...

WEAK....

guess our Geforce 4's are only good enuff to play that old sidescrolling POP game where i can never jump that big hole and I always fall on those spikes...

Bah.... Shame on you guys.. SHAMEEEEEEEEE

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 04:54 AM
"hi
I have a GeForce4 MX440 VGA card.
one week ago i bought silenthill3 & it won't work on my
Ge4MX.
But i downloaded the 3D analyze from:
http://www.tommti-systems.com and use this analyze and the
game run well.
now i want to know:
anyone use this analyze for POP4?
thanks!"

In reply to this. the game DOES run yes. and I loaded it up. You have to emulate the texture and shading settings...

However you can barely see anything... its all white theres a lil square in the bottom right where you can see the prince running around... its definately not palyable, not by a long shot.... i didnt try many combonations so maybe there is a way to emulate it better...

but... it DOES load the game but it is not playable.. I guess all it does is trick the game into thinking its a compatible card.....

Seriously... we shouldnt be yapping at the creators of the card, they may have marketed it wrong, but the developers of the game should have this in mind.. obviously there is thousands of ppl out there with a geforce card.. they are eliminating a lot of customers.....and this is unfair... why shoul di have to spend so much money ona new card to paly one game only to find out that in two months you guys come out with a new game that my card cant play....

SUCKS. If youre goingt o make such a fantastic looking game.. at least make it compatible... if it relies heavy on shading or watever.. make it an option to disable that and make it look like....i donno.. the thousands of other games that work fine with my card..... we may not see the prettiest possibility.. but at least we see a nice looking game that we can play...

WEAK....

guess our Geforce 4's are only good enuff to play that old sidescrolling POP game where i can never jump that big hole and I always fall on those spikes...

Bah.... Shame on you guys.. SHAMEEEEEEEEE

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 05:18 AM
Please.

Design for a card that only properly supports DirectX 7 when the current standard is DirectX 8.1 and the emerging standard is DirectX 9?

That would be like desigining a program for DOS when Windows 95 was commonplace and Windows 2000 was gearing up. In a word it's stupid.

For whatever reason, POP uses a lot of shaders to achieve it's visual style. And not ALL GeForce 4s are excluded - just the ones that use technology that's about 3 years out of date.

---

I bought a GeForce 3 in 2001 and I have yet found the need to replace it (although it's legs are beginning to show). I'll wait and see for a bit, read reviews, articles and such, and find a good card that will last.

They aren't detecting the card by name, they are detecting by required features. Pixel shaders are 2 years old.now and it's a joke that this card doesn't support them.

Message Edited on 12/03/0312:54AM by theBetterHalf

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 06:30 AM
I do agree with a few points raised by WillRivendell seeing as i posted similar points in a previous topic

But not everyone has the same knowledge as you do and with the constant flow of new hardware being released it can be daunting too the unweary..

Telling people to STFU is not really courteous and offers no validity too your explanation..
You explained it well ...i appreciate that... but dont flame others for not understanding specifics...

I have learnt by your post... thanks

Message Edited on 12/03/0305:41AM by bitebug2003

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 06:57 AM
the more expensive something is, the more you should know about it before comitting to it.

I think it's a _very_ poor marketing decision - deceptive to average consumers. On one side of the coin, it is faster than a GeForce 3 - so existing games will perform better - but it lacks newer features.

I was enticed by the price - like a lot of people - for a MX. But I was scared off by reviews that essentially panned it.

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 01:17 PM
The thing is, Max Payne 2 worked absolutly fine on my PC, on a resolution of 1280 x 1024 with everything as high as possible..

Ok, maby i didn't see Max his shadow, and maby the lightfall could be better, but the game looked amazing, and played as a wet dream...

So why not do the same with POP, i don't want breathtaking shadows, or water looking like a real ocean...

I just want a good game that looks good on a high-res...

XyZspineZyX
12-03-2003, 03:46 PM
"Ok, maby i didn't see Max his shadow, and maby the lightfall could be better, but the game looked amazing, and played as a wet dream...

So why not do the same with POP, i don't want breathtaking shadows, or water looking like a real ocean...

I just want a good game that looks good on a high-res..."

EXACTLY.

I do know the specs of my card, however i DIDNT know that it didnt support pixel shading....which is ******ed.....yes... doesnt make sense why they would do that.. however Max Payne looks great XIII looks great Ninja Turtles looks great, KOTOR looks great they all runs as good as they look.....

Im not saying they should have designed POP to run in DX7... what they should have done was take the whole game and make it possible.. to run it in either DX 8 or DX7... DX 7 users may lose a bit of the details.... but i wouldnt be complaining... half the time shadows make the game harder. hah...
seriously tho.... they should have made it possible... made a mode where you can have all the pixel shadage you can handle, or have none, and jsut play a standard 3d action adventure game... IE ninja Turtles.. the game is weak but i mean it runs and looks good....

One thing i will say the Geforce 4 doesnt do well.. is run FOG.... is this a setting of myne or is it the card.. because everything will run great until an explosion and theres a mist and it slows choppy for a few seconds...

XyZspineZyX
12-05-2003, 08:38 AM
So...if supporting "outdated" video hardware is out, then why was ths game ever ported to the PS2 in the first place? The specs for the PS2's GPU place it somewhere between a GF1 and a GF2, and yet PS2 users get to play this game, and have their old hardware supported, but PC users who don't want to shell out $200 for a video card upgrade every time a new generation of technology comes out get screwed? What's up with that? I have to agree with the original poster...shame on the developers...SHAME. No shame on people running old video hardware.

And how hard is it to make an option that lets people disable things like the pixel and vertex shaders (or that does it automatically based off of video card features)? if (shadingEnabled) { //do shading stuff }

...if the game can be ported to the PS2 and its relatively weak video hardware, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever (except possibly laziness, and maybe arrogance) why the developers can't make the game at least run on a system with an older video card...it may not look as pretty as on a system with a new card, but a crappy looking game is better than no game at all...

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Good point..

I bet you if PS2 emulators ran games perfectly. I bet you could run the PS2 Version of POP thru an emulator on a GF4MX card and it would show the game just fine....

XyZspineZyX
12-06-2003, 09:06 AM
Unfortunately the problem is the Geforce 4 MX, which NVidia deceptively named a Geforce 4 (ie They screwed you). Effectively its not actually a geforce 4 - its really a Geforce1 chipset (or maybe a 2 I forget now), with cheap memory and that's where the problem lies. It supports none of the new features required by games that run taking advantage of DirectX 8 or better. No pixel or vertex shaders. (And its a really slow card too, very poor price performance unfortunately). Best bet today is probably a low end radeon, fairly cheap, should have decent longevity. Its about half the speed of the 9700/9800 but its fully feature capable so will actually run new games.

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 01:23 AM
go here for it to work

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_view-topic.asp?name=techsupport&id=zzznf