PDA

View Full Version : How to (sort of) make AFK less annoying

gabe_woods
09-17-2017, 02:18 AM
Now I don't come across too too many AFK players but everyone once in a while I do and it can really hurt a team especially in game modes like dominion and skirmish especially. So I was wondering how to kinda help the problem. As of now I'm not entirely sure how long it takes till you get kicked from the actually game for being idle, but regardless it is annoying to deal with. So what I was thinking was putting something in the game that can tell how long it takes you to pick your hero in the selection screen, and if you don't pick anything and the game picks it for you. It puts you on a automatic timer so when you get in the game the time would be reduced so the team doesn't have to be punished for it. Just a thought, not even entirely sure if it could be put in the game but something that would definitely help

bmason1000
09-17-2017, 02:23 AM
That's...not such a bad idea? I'm sure someone can figure out a hole in that theory but i can not.

SwellChemosabe
09-17-2017, 02:26 AM
I think my only concern would be that it would have to be designed so that the timer doesn't stay extended for a player who was AFK in the hero selection menu, began playing, but then at a later time went idle for however long. Sometimes people just have to step away for a second and it might not be the best thing to keep that player on a consistently shortened timer throughout a match.

other than that, I don't see any issues with this.

UbiNoty
09-17-2017, 02:29 AM
Players are supposed to get kicked for being afk after 60s. But we do know there's a problem with the afk-detection system currently and are trying to get it fixed.
I'll forward the suggestion about the early-detection, lobby-afk check though!

Vakris_One
09-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Why do people do that anyway. Surely the whole point of owning a game is to play it? Even if they somehow manage to get up to rep 8 purely through AFK they probably wouldn't even care about their character by that point as they didn't put any effort into obtaining their gear.

Must be a very sad person that chooses to AFK farm. Me personally, if I find a game is that truly grindy or boring or frustrating to me that I can't even stomach playing it then I would just uninstall it and move on.

SirRegisKeg
09-18-2017, 06:14 PM
Or a sort of one time spawn checker , that can tell if these clowns don't leave the spawn area not once since the match started. I've noticed these trolls will move their characters every now and again to keep from being kicked. Even just stroll around in spawn. I'm convinced they're apart of a party on the enemy team

kbvlcvfkhgc
09-18-2017, 07:14 PM
Players are supposed to get kicked for being afk after 60s. But we do know there's a problem with the afk-detection system currently and are trying to get it fixed.
I'll forward the suggestion about the early-detection, lobby-afk check though!

Glad you've confirmed UBI are aware of this, in the last week I've noticed a big spike in AFK'ers,

these selfish F#ck$ ruin 4v4 games for the team unlucky enough to get them, the sooner this gets fixed and they get kicked the better,

i don't get this AFK mentality?, so you get steel but ruin the game for everyone else? , you not going to be good with gear alone, you do actually need to spend time playing?,

DoctorMcBatman
09-18-2017, 07:19 PM
Glad you've confirmed UBI are aware of this, in the last week I've noticed a big spike in AFK'ers,

these selfish F#ck$ ruin 4v4 games for the team unlucky enough to get them, the sooner this gets fixed and they get kicked the better,

i don't get this AFK mentality?, so you get steel but ruin the game for everyone else? , you not going to be good with gear alone, you do actually need to spend time playing?,

I don't think people go AFK to grind steel (do they?). My assumption has always been that they just got busy with doing something else in the "real world," and were too lazy to quit the game.

60 seconds is a terrific time limit for AFK I think, just need to get the function working properly.