PDA

View Full Version : Just discovered the IL-2I

Mitlov47
02-27-2004, 11:06 PM
And all I can say is WOW. I haven't fallen in love (with an aircraft) like this since I learned how to not stall the I-16. This baby eats bombers for breakfast and will give fighters a run for their money, too.

Its virtues:
1) Very powerful air-to-air guns (the 23mm cannons it mounts are WAY more powerful than the 20mm cannons on most Russian fighters. They'll quite literally rip apart a FW-190 with just a couple hits).
2) Physically impossible to stall, as far as I can tell. Even when you've got no flaps and you yank on the stick.
3) Nearly impossible to overheat the engine, so liberal use of War Emergency Power is no problem.
4) Faster and more agile than you'd think. Seriously. You can do loops and split-S's in it.
5) No one takes it seriously until you're on their six. Major element of surprise.
6) Immensely stable gun platform and no nose-mounted guns means that deflection shooting is easy.
7) Absurdly durable. The engine is hard as heck to knock out. Man-sized holes in the wings have no discernable effect. I've even flown it (awkwardly, admittedly) with NO tail controls left--a BF-109 had crashed into my tail and severed both horizontal stabilizers and the vertical stabilizer.

The downsides:
1) Not the fastest turner, though once you learn to really yank on the stick, it's okay.
2) Heavy reinforcements on the cockpit obstruct vision while dogfighting.
3) Not the fastest, though once you learn to just leave War Emergency Power on for minutes at a time you're okay.
4) Not a good climber, though it dives like Jacques Cousteau.

Not only does this flying tank have a great "cool factor," but it actually works really well. I've discovered I'm much more deadly in it than in my Sweet Sixteen or even a Yak-3. No joke.

---------------------------
I-16 and IL-2I.

"I hear the roar of a big machine; Two worlds and in between.
Love lost, fire at will; Dum-dum bullets and shoot to kill.
I hear dive bombers and Empire down, Empire down..."
--Sisters of Mercy

Mitlov47
02-27-2004, 11:06 PM
And all I can say is WOW. I haven't fallen in love (with an aircraft) like this since I learned how to not stall the I-16. This baby eats bombers for breakfast and will give fighters a run for their money, too.

Its virtues:
1) Very powerful air-to-air guns (the 23mm cannons it mounts are WAY more powerful than the 20mm cannons on most Russian fighters. They'll quite literally rip apart a FW-190 with just a couple hits).
2) Physically impossible to stall, as far as I can tell. Even when you've got no flaps and you yank on the stick.
3) Nearly impossible to overheat the engine, so liberal use of War Emergency Power is no problem.
4) Faster and more agile than you'd think. Seriously. You can do loops and split-S's in it.
5) No one takes it seriously until you're on their six. Major element of surprise.
6) Immensely stable gun platform and no nose-mounted guns means that deflection shooting is easy.
7) Absurdly durable. The engine is hard as heck to knock out. Man-sized holes in the wings have no discernable effect. I've even flown it (awkwardly, admittedly) with NO tail controls left--a BF-109 had crashed into my tail and severed both horizontal stabilizers and the vertical stabilizer.

The downsides:
1) Not the fastest turner, though once you learn to really yank on the stick, it's okay.
2) Heavy reinforcements on the cockpit obstruct vision while dogfighting.
3) Not the fastest, though once you learn to just leave War Emergency Power on for minutes at a time you're okay.
4) Not a good climber, though it dives like Jacques Cousteau.

Not only does this flying tank have a great "cool factor," but it actually works really well. I've discovered I'm much more deadly in it than in my Sweet Sixteen or even a Yak-3. No joke.

I-16 and IL-2I.

--Sisters of Mercy

Agamemnon22
02-27-2004, 11:17 PM
Yeah its a great bird, I have my most kills in a successfull sortie in an IL-2.
The best is getting real low with a fighter on your tail and dropping a couple bombs with 1 or 2 second delay. BOOM and oh look.. your six is clear.

clint-ruin
02-28-2004, 01:50 AM
Unfortunately the IL-2I is the only one of the bunch that carries no air to ground ordinance :/

You might find you like the IL-2 Series 1, 2 and 3 [field mod if you want a tail gunner], or even the the Il2-M Early as well.

I find the S1/2/3 set [pre-tail gunner series] to be the best dogfighters of the bunch, they feel very lightweight and are very forgiving to fly. More so even than the Il-2I. The Series 3 was the first to be equipped with the 23mm VYa's as well. The only thing you really lose with the S3 over the S1/S2 is that you can only carry eight rockets, rather than sixteen.

The Il-2I also gives up the 7.62MM ShKAS mgs, which I find invaluable for 'spotting' the target before using the cannon.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/djgwen/fb/leninkoba.jpg

Mitlov47
02-28-2004, 06:08 AM
The Series 3 may have the same (or even higher) turn rate than the 2I, but it can't maintain speed through maneuvers like the 2I can. And the 2I accelerates much harder, even though they've got similar top speeds. I did some back-to-back testing and I still think the 2I is the much better choice for air-to-air combat, because of it's advantage in acceleration, maintaining speed (is this called "not bleeding energy?") and climb rate.

However, the 2I is just that--an interceptor. If you want to hit ground targets, it's obviously not the best choice.

By the way, at least playing against the computer, the only way BF-109s and FW-190s have been able to kill me in an IL-2I is by ramming me. I can maneuver with a FW-190 no problem, and nearly match it in a straight line. If they try to go head-to-head with a 2I, they always die. And I can maneuver well enough so that it's hard for them to stay on my six, even when I'm outnumbered. They've occassionally tagged me with their guns, but the damage is always inconsequential. If it weren't for a couple unfortunate run-ins with He-111 Zwilligs and ME-323s (I think that's what they're called--the things as big as barns), I'd assume it was completely bulletproof. And even against those behemoths, I killed several before succumbing to the turrets.

I-16 and IL-2I.

--Sisters of Mercy

1.JaVA_Hornet
02-28-2004, 06:16 AM
hi,

My highest kills in one oneline sortie was
a couple of weeks ago in a il2m.

- destroyed 2 aa guns
- destroyed armor/cars
- 2 focke wulfs

After that i crashlanded because i was out of fuel.

1.JaVA_hornet
The Netherlands