PDA

View Full Version : Mod support.

aburja
09-15-2017, 12:44 PM
Title says it all.

I'd like to use Cities:Skyline as the great example.

AgmasGold
09-15-2017, 01:30 PM
Modding support is a great thing for a game to have - look at games like Skyrim as well, without modding support, the longevity of the game would have been much reduced for a lot of people.

You can never quite anticipate some of the great ideas that people have. I am not sure how this would work with Ubisoft policy though. Most mods for Ubisoft games are a bit hacky in nature.

DoomDutch
09-15-2017, 07:46 PM
I hope the devs have some sort of mod support added in their scedule. If not, it could mean that they may have to scrap something else if they want to implement it.

(This actually makes me want to know something else: are the devs/Ubisoft willing to delay the release if it is needed?)

VinnieVE
09-17-2017, 09:48 AM
Knowing the devs, they will allow modding as long as you don't fiddle with achievments.

DoomDutch
09-17-2017, 11:34 AM
They could implement a system like Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron or Crusader Kings from the Paradox studios: if a mod causes the checksum to change, achievements will be disabled. (So Simple UI changes, different models etc. wouldn't cause you to lose the abbility to earn achievements.)

haraserh
09-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Ha ! modding and anno + ubi? take a look at anno 2070...not convinced yet? take a look at 2205? still not convinced yet? then the joke is on you.:)

Sure modding would be awsome , as long as the 'this anno' is as solid as the rest of the series apart from 2205, it would be wonderfull.

AgmasGold
09-22-2017, 05:23 PM
Yep that was my thinking as well, official mod support and ubisoft is not something often said together.

DukeOfRockford
10-29-2017, 01:05 PM
+1 Hear, hear. Modding support absolutely essential. It adds value to the game SO MUCH. Just ask me, as I've made a few mods for Europa Universalis IV.

Ideally, I would suggest using Steam Workshop for this... I would rather not use another website for modding but UbiSoft can create a separate website. The downside of having a separate modding portal, though, is that we are dependent on UbiSoft to maintain the modding portal for this game long after development on this game ceased (after all DLCs has been done, of course). Steam Workshop is more likely to last longer long after this.

I also hope, perhaps naively, that scripting would be as easy to read and use as in Europa Universalis IV.

AgmasGold
10-29-2017, 04:50 PM
Some people will buy Anno direct through Uplay, leaving any steamworkshop integration useless to that section of the playerbase.

iruet
10-31-2017, 08:40 AM
Some people will buy Anno direct through Uplay, leaving any steamworkshop integration useless to that section of the playerbase.

I don't have any form of steam...

If you want to implement some sort of mod support, you'll probably have to look to Uplay to get it to work. But I think it's highly unlikely UBI/BB will support mods.

iruet
10-31-2017, 08:42 AM

I don't have any form of steam...

If you want to implement some sort of mod support, you'll probably have to look to Uplay to get it to work. But I think it's highly unlikely UBI/BB will support mods.

AgmasGold
10-31-2017, 09:51 AM
Exactly my point, for some people, steam is a must, and the only platform they even consider purchasing games from, while some people don't even know of its existence.

iruet
10-31-2017, 02:59 PM
I know it exists... but I just never looked into using it, and I am glad I never decided to use it, if I see all the reports of things going wrong when using steam :)

But since this is a bit off-topic... Yeah, It would be nice to have some mods, especially ones that add realism, like some sort of day and night cycle mod ☻

Abdul-Atheem
12-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Modding would be great. Would love to make my own 1800's styled buildings that I could place in the game.

stylisticsagi
12-21-2017, 07:44 AM
Am i the only one who isn't shouting for mods when the game isn't even released yet?!
Mods come in place when the dev's fail to give a complete game.
I like games to be as vanilla as possible.

There are also alot of games outthere wich are completly broken because nobodys hosts them without 50+ mods.

OptimaForma
02-04-2018, 02:16 AM
no modding whatsoever is needed, do not add it.

ruuti0
02-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Mods come in place when the dev's fail to give a complete game.

I don't think that is competely right, because there are really great games that are really complete, but after of hundreds hours playtime you might enjoy trying some sort of well done mod also!

I am happy either way, did they are mod support or not. Main thing is that they are making Anno 1800! :p

iruet
02-05-2018, 11:56 AM
It would be nice to have mod support though... Maybe that would add extra complexity :)

ruuti0
02-05-2018, 05:38 PM
It would be nice to have mod support though... Maybe that would add extra complexity :)

Wasn't there mod support in 2070?

Or were those mods made to 2070 without asking permission from Ubisoft? Did they hack game?

AgmasGold
02-05-2018, 06:37 PM
The mods were made in a hacky way - there isn't any official support for mods within the game.

FYI, there was also a couple of mods for Anno 1404 as well - also made in an unofficial way.

ruuti0
02-08-2018, 05:10 PM
The mods were made in a hacky way - there isn't any official support for mods within the game.

FYI, there was also a couple of mods for Anno 1404 as well - also made in an unofficial way.

Do you know that did they debug game code and recompile it with modifications or did they just edit some config and image files?

Is that even legal to modify game that you don't have rights to (and distribute modded version)?

AgmasGold
02-08-2018, 06:10 PM
I'm not sure. Its not just simple config files changes though, more than that. There is a "mod" called the Unofficial patch, for Anno 1404: Venice, which does a lot of tweaks via just the config files. You can use a program called RDA Explorer to look at those pretty easily. The mods make much bigger changes, although I have not used them myself.

Anno 2070: http://anno2170-arrc.de/index.php?page=news&language=en
Anno 1404: http://iaam1404.projectanno.de/start_eng.htm

iruet
02-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Or just hack the game :p

It would be nice to have mod support, if those mods would add value to the game, like more civ. levels, larger production chains, more buildings and more ships ♥

I think modsupport would be great for these kind of options, it would be bad if people use it to exploit the games features...

ruuti0
02-09-2018, 08:11 PM
It is pretty much guranteed that if there is official mod support, people also make those cheating mods for sure.

But good thing is that nobody who doesn't want to cheat, don't have to install them.

I am pretty sure they won't add mod support, but who knows.

iruet
02-10-2018, 11:35 AM
It would be fun if they only support the mods which increase the gameplay complexity :)

And more buildings and civ tiers ofc!

AgmasGold
02-10-2018, 12:13 PM
Preparing a game for mod support is a monumental task though, and as people have said earlier in this thread, its not something that is 100% necessary for a game like Anno. BB can spend more resources getting the game right, rather than trying to support mods.

Maybe even some unofficial support, to assist people in hacking together mods, might be an option. Not too much time spent, and BB wouldn't be under any obligation to support said mods.

iruet
02-10-2018, 12:49 PM
Preparing a game for mod support is a monumental task though, and as people have said earlier in this thread, its not something that is 100% necessary for a game like Anno. BB can spend more resources getting the game right, rather than trying to support mods.

Maybe even some unofficial support, to assist people in hacking together mods, might be an option. Not too much time spent, and BB wouldn't be under any obligation to support said mods.

Hacking a game the first day it comes out... Yeah... Don't see BB/Ubi supporting that at all...

ruuti0
02-10-2018, 02:04 PM

Yeah I like it more than they focus their resources to other areas than mod making if there isn't resources for both, but if they do have will and resources to also make mod support, why not?

It is likely that some people will anyway mod Anno 1800 like they modded many previous versions without asking permission for it.