PDA

View Full Version : Truth Stranger Than Fiction

Tank50
08-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Awhile ago someone made what is still one of my favorite Il-2 movies tracing the journey of a lone motorcycle messenger as he dodges all manner of mayhem. I think it was called The Messenger. I picked up the October 2004 issue of Flight Journal and found the following on page 65.

"Col. James McCarthy, the Group CO, was leading a squadron of 16 P-47s on an armed recon flight; each carried three 500 pound bombs and a full load of 500 rounds per gun. They had cruised for two hours over France without seeing anything. At last, someone spotted a lone German on a motorcycle, high-tailing it down a country lane.
"In desperation, McCarthy sent one flight down to drop one 500 pounder on the motorcycle. the pilot missed. Then each man in the first flight came around and dropped one 500 pounder on the motorcyle. All three missed! Then they each went back and dropped the remaining two bombs each. They all missed! The motorcycle was still speeding through the French countryside.
"Then each came back and made a strafing run at the motorcycle. They missed again! The next three flights came down in turn and did the same thing, and they all missed! Just count it up: 1,500 pounds of bombs each; 4,000 rounds of 50-caliber each. Sixteen P-47s made a total of 48 passes dropping 24,000 pounds of bombs and firing off 64,000 rounds from 128 machine guns, and they all missed! And all they were shooting at was one German on one motorcycle. What a story he had to tell back at the barracks! He must have been the luckiest guy in the whole German Army."-Jack Reynolds

I wonder if his mates believed him. I also wonder what kind of creative writing exercise went into the pilots'explanation of the expenditure of so much ordinance.

Tank50
08-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Awhile ago someone made what is still one of my favorite Il-2 movies tracing the journey of a lone motorcycle messenger as he dodges all manner of mayhem. I think it was called The Messenger. I picked up the October 2004 issue of Flight Journal and found the following on page 65.

"Col. James McCarthy, the Group CO, was leading a squadron of 16 P-47s on an armed recon flight; each carried three 500 pound bombs and a full load of 500 rounds per gun. They had cruised for two hours over France without seeing anything. At last, someone spotted a lone German on a motorcycle, high-tailing it down a country lane.
"In desperation, McCarthy sent one flight down to drop one 500 pounder on the motorcycle. the pilot missed. Then each man in the first flight came around and dropped one 500 pounder on the motorcyle. All three missed! Then they each went back and dropped the remaining two bombs each. They all missed! The motorcycle was still speeding through the French countryside.
"Then each came back and made a strafing run at the motorcycle. They missed again! The next three flights came down in turn and did the same thing, and they all missed! Just count it up: 1,500 pounds of bombs each; 4,000 rounds of 50-caliber each. Sixteen P-47s made a total of 48 passes dropping 24,000 pounds of bombs and firing off 64,000 rounds from 128 machine guns, and they all missed! And all they were shooting at was one German on one motorcycle. What a story he had to tell back at the barracks! He must have been the luckiest guy in the whole German Army."-Jack Reynolds

I wonder if his mates believed him. I also wonder what kind of creative writing exercise went into the pilots'explanation of the expenditure of so much ordinance.

Jirozaemon
08-26-2004, 12:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tank50:

I wonder if his mates believed him. I also wonder what kind of creative writing exercise went into the pilots'explanation of the expenditure of so much ordinance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe these were the infamous 0.50cal Tiger-Tank-Killers...

Sounds fake to me...

http://www.japancollection.com/pages/reproductions/lg/239.jpg

"Feb 16 1978:

The first computer bulletin board system goes live on an S-100 motherboard and CP/M, and a Hayes 300 baud modem. Ward Christensen and Randy Seuss's Computerized Bulletin Board System still kinda runs to this day, but the Internet has taken the place that BBS's used to have.

And this is why you have no social life, loser. "

Kartveli
08-26-2004, 01:04 PM
I wonder how many lbs of feces were expelled per lb of bombs dropped...

BSS_Goat
08-26-2004, 01:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by P47_driver:
I wonder how many lbs of feces were expelled per lb of bombs dropped...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif My guess is he went winchester after the second bomb.

http://images.allposters.com/images/dar/yng-17.jpg

http://www.blacksheep214.com/

Patriotism is your conviction
that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it
--George Bernard Shaw

sunflower1
08-26-2004, 01:09 PM
I sat in a room with a Jug pilot in 1992 who was describing how when the allies were trying to get going in France they really did their best to communicate new innovations really quickly.

As an example, he said they were briefed that if they found a heavy tank on a paved road they could make a shallow dive and ricochet the bullets off the pavement and through the thin floor of the tank, often causing it to burn because a German tank that wasn't leaking fuel didn't have any in it. He said they were told somebody'd discovered it by accident. The news travelled very quickly to their unit and that was the reason the story was told. He didn't say that he'd ever done it.

Frank **** was the guy's name, I'm not sure if he's still alive or not.

FWIW

EDIT- I actually typed the guy's last name, but I'll guess that its on a list of objectionable words. Rhymes with "Mick."

_Gadzilla_
08-26-2004, 01:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rhett69:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by P47_driver:
I wonder how many lbs of feces were expelled per lb of bombs dropped...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif My guess is he went winchester after the second bomb.

lmao