PDA

View Full Version : Locking maps

AW LOST SOLDIER
09-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Ubisoft can you please give us an option on the publish screen to lock our maps. lock map OFF = allowing anyone to edit and republish. lock map ON = only original creator can edit and republish. everyone else is blocked from editing or republishing.

AKAFootloose
09-12-2017, 03:26 PM
I STRONGLY agree with this. This is more important to me than making the editor better. The re-publishing of maps MUST stop! It's not just stealing someone's hard work, it loads up the Top Rated List with multiple copies of the same map!

ImGonaG3tUsucka
09-12-2017, 09:47 PM
I would agree also.. At least have the option to lock maps.

akilyoung
09-12-2017, 11:20 PM
Of course I agree as well. Such a simple thing....yet it hasnt happened yet!

We need to keep the servers clear!

AKAFootloose
09-13-2017, 12:03 AM
I'm not so sure I agree with overwriting maps, no way of telling if it has been updated. The update should be the same name with a version number and the old map deleted. If we had the power to do that. We should be able to delete our own maps!

CAFFEIN8TED
09-13-2017, 12:11 AM
Yay! I'm not the only one who thinks this is a good idea.

Fallen-Champ
09-13-2017, 04:51 AM
I would prefer to Delete a map and then publish a newer version but in the past people moaned about losing their times played and times downloaded stats so I can see why overwriting would be an option.

It would be good if there were a way to give people the option to download the updated map if they go to play a version no longer in the database somehow link them to the newer version.

Steve64b
09-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Question regarding publishing updated maps: What would happen when a player adds version 1 to favorites, and the map gets updated to version 2? Either their favorite entry would be would be removed from favorites (as the map doesn't exist anymore), or updated to the new version. Theoretically the player may still prefer the way version 1 played, and if they can't get to that map anymore, the favorites list may lose its value.

I think, keeping the old maps on the server & accessible wouldn't be a big issue. Instead, perhaps Ubisoft can change the map SEARCH, to display only the new/latest map versions. Selecting that map could then have the different map versions listed in the 'More Info' menu (or a dedicated 'Versions' one), and even allow players to still play historic versions.

Going this route has the added benefit of tracking the number of plays/likes per version.

DapperHayden007
09-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Question regarding publishing updated maps: What would happen when a player adds version 1 to favorites, and the map gets updated to version 2? Either their favorite entry would be would be removed from favorites (as the map doesn't exist anymore), or updated to the new version. Theoretically the player may still prefer the way version 1 played, and if they can't get to that map anymore, the favorites list may lose its value.

I think, keeping the old maps on the server & accessible wouldn't be a big issue. Instead, perhaps Ubisoft can change the map SEARCH, to display only the new/latest map versions. Selecting that map could then have the different map versions listed in the 'More Info' menu (or a dedicated 'Versions' one), and even allow players to still play historic versions.

Going this route has the added benefit of tracking the number of plays/likes per version.

So in the sense that YouTube has playlists (with separate episodes) but Far Cry has versions of maps. Or even your own map series, This would add another search Function of Search Map by Map Series/Playlists kind of? See I like that idea a LOT as I love making more than one version of a map (maybe like a storyline style) if people wanted to make them as well as updating map versions

Steve64b
09-13-2017, 11:46 AM
I like that idea a LOT as I love making more than one version of a map (maybe like a storyline style)

Yeah, with FC4 this is happening already. People make daylight/nighttime maps, maps with and without signature/op weapons, invincibility on/off, etc. I feel that those versions are intended to exist alongside the others. It's different when a map maker fixes their map for gameplay/aestetic purposes and wants to replace the 'screwup' map with a fixed version.

@Ubisoft: point in case that there are multiple versions of the 'same' map file: check out http://maps.farcry.eu/?mapname=1FFBCB1FC50953FFAF5DFF4C87A32B8162F6F2ED showing PS4 maps "Mad Max" style, with the same thumbnail.

I don't have mapnames & author info for all those maps, but some of them are:
Mad Max 2.0
Mad Max 2.50
Mad Max 4.0
Mad Max 4.0
Mad Max fuller
Mad Max all guns
Mad Max all weapons

Players would generally prefer seeing map 2.50 over 2.0. Why? Because it's a newer version. Likewise, they would also prefer 4.0 over 2.5 for the same reason, making 2.0 and 2.50 obsolete. But then there's another 4.0. Which 4.0 one is 'better'?

Players looking to wreak havoc with any weapons would prefer the 'all weapons' description. Perhaps it's the same as the "all guns" one? And is that one based on the Mad Max 2.0, or the latest 4.0 one? Were all maps remade by other map makers, or are they all from the same creator?

It's excess entries like these that make browsing maps annoying in its current (FC4) form. Allowing map makers to delete their own maps, publish-lock them and possibly update their published maps (keeping stats) would at least give players control over this, without requiring any further Ubisoft moderation.

akilyoung
09-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Also editing our own map should overwrite the published map immediately. Not have multiple same maps cause of edits.

I totally agree here too.

And after it overrides on the server, if soemone downloaded it, and wants to play it, itll automatically update to the newer version prior to opening for them.