PDA

View Full Version : Is Highlander stronger than we initially gave him credit?

mrmistark
09-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Firstly, this is an opinionated discussion. Just here to open it up and ask others how they feel about highlander now that he's been out for a while.

As an Xbox player, I loved playing highlander from the start, but at first he "clearly was underpowered, right?", at least that's what I had thought.

A few weeks later: "man you know what, he seems rather balanced!" His HA, smooth flow into OS with its mixups and character using counter strike had me convinced, but I still hadn't unlocked his full potential. I still didn't quite understand the timings for soft giants in OS from kick to grab, I thought you had to hold down trigger still for lights in OS and thus never used them. I felt that Celtic was a good opener.

Now that the character has been out for about a month give or take all this time I learned one thing that pushed me over the edge to thinking highlander is at bare minimum high medium to low high tier. Using him as a counterattacker using crushing counters that deal damage nearly equal to his heavies, HA on heavies when on a 1v1 alone win me games just throwing out heavies when ever anyone faster than me throws out a light, and hell, even parries despite them being meh for him but still gives a free light. All options allow easy damage over the opponent and allow me to smooth flow into OS which from there good luck my friend. Heavies can be chained and all things considered are about as fast one after the other as kensei, but unlike kensei each one is basically a top heavy finisher: it can be canceled into 5-6 at least decent options: soft feint into caber,kick, kick-caber, OS light, heavy feint into gb or light ect. Honestly it has more viable options than kenseis mind tricks, and me being a kensei main, well, let's just say the path of highlander has slowly become a cake walk for me after finally getting everything down pat.

The way I play now is almost disgusting. He has a kit, when used properly, that can literally counter any character. I'm not just saying "hey look at me! I'm a great highlander!" Because honestly I'm really not amazing, but I see super high rep players just unable to deal with whatever it is I throw at them. I wouldn't say necessarily that he is OP or that any move particularly is, but adversely I've played many characters against highlander as well, and I feel a slight uphill battle.

Overall he IS slow, but if you can read your opponent half decently or are just a decent turtle, then highlander is definitely one of the hardest characters to face because of his rediculous amount of options in OS and his ability to sit and wait for an opportune moment. He also is tremendously good at creating a dangerous feint game with crushing counter being a very good option and reopening OS. What do you all think? Is he still as bad as you initially thought? Cause I thought he wasn't great but now, man I am finding him incredibly powerful.

PDXGorechild
09-11-2017, 02:58 PM
I concur. I think he has a pretty steep learning curve and it's just taken players a while to get used to his kit. I've gone from serving every Highlanders behind up on a plate to being very, very cautious of what this class can do. He really does hit like train and some of his moves can't really be called slow...

DrinkinMehStella
09-11-2017, 05:08 PM
its his hyper armour that gets me, his offensive stance isn't much to be afraid of, its his Celtic cross because of how late you can change direction and then he can follow up with another heavy.

The_B0G_
09-11-2017, 05:14 PM
I got him to rep 5 and quit using him. On console I can't deal with light spamming characters. His attacks and dodge recovery is too slow, I still have no answer for that situation with him, so I stopped using him.

I use Kensei now as well and any time I'm against HL I just use lots of lights mixed with some GB's, I hardly ever get beat by them.

SplugeKing
09-11-2017, 08:32 PM
The Highlander is very strong in very good experienced players. But most of us aren't that. Even if you're facing someone who is good with him it's difficult for me to say he's top tier. His offensive capabilities do not bring much damage and take a lot of stamina

DoctorMcBatman
09-11-2017, 08:35 PM
As a PK, when S3 came out my eyes lit up each time I saw a HL, they were easily kills. Now... not so much. A good HL who uses fake outs and changes his stance at appropriate times can be difficult for an assassin to take down - especially in the confined spaces that many maps have. It is annoying that one mistake against a HL can result in half your health (or more) being taken out, but that's how it goes for a few other classes too (Raider, Shug, etc.).

I don't think HL is OP though.

lMoosel
09-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Nope, too slow, average HP, crap punishes and garbage Stam management. Anybody with a side dash attack completely negates his entire mixup. Celtic C is just parry bait at this point. Crushing C is too inconsistent IMO and whenever I'm playing against a HL that likes to use it I just start feinting. His lights are terribly slow so that hurts him, ontop of that the recovery on his light > light combo is so bad it gives a free gb on block.

DoctorMcBatman
09-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Anybody with a side dash attack completely negates his entire mixup.

This is not my experience at all. The HL can easily deal with side-dash attacks by using his fake-out attack. And you have to get the timing really really correct if you want to block it and abandon your attack.

UbiInsulin
09-12-2017, 12:31 AM
We'll see, he is a hero that we anticipated would take a bit more time to get used to. We are still mostly seeing players suggesting buffs (particularly to his speed, but also his damage & HP).

mrmistark
09-12-2017, 01:13 AM
I got him to rep 5 and quit using him. On console I can't deal with light spamming characters. His attacks and dodge recovery is too slow, I still have no answer for that situation with him, so I stopped using him.

I use Kensei now as well and any time I'm against HL I just use lots of lights mixed with some GB's, I hardly ever get beat by them.

I played 2 today with kensei and they HA heavied me into the ground both times, maybe I'll have to try this approach and see how it goes, Celtic just feels so fast honestly. I also disagree with the above, soft feint Celtic curse catches almost every dodge attack attempt for me. I'm not calling for a nerf by any means, I just feel as though he really doesn't need a buff, but I also understand that to be on different consoles is to play a different game and that on console he plays perhaps entirely different with the easy light parry and all. If PC players feel he needs a buff then I respect that and their want to make the game as great on PC as console, just really wish both had the same frame rate so we all could be on the same side of the coin.

DoctorMcBatman
09-12-2017, 01:26 AM
We'll see, he is a hero that we anticipated would take a bit more time to get used to. We are still mostly seeing players suggesting buffs (particularly to his speed, but also his damage & HP).

Maybe a slight speed buff, but his damage and HP do not need buffs IMO. He does plenty of damage and has a fine amount of HP for a character with such a large offensive range - and dedicated defense mode.