PDA

View Full Version : Curved roads

aburja
09-09-2017, 02:36 PM
It might be too late to implement this for 1800.

But seriously, Anno has used straight roads/sharp corners for 20 years now.

Add some curves. Sim City 2015 did this brilliantly.

Farm fields that shrink and stretch dynamically to snap to the curved roads and everything that goes with it.
The surface area of the field remains the same, but the shape of it changes based on placement.

ANN0nymity
09-11-2017, 09:36 AM
I completly agree with you :)

AgmasGold
09-11-2017, 09:59 AM
To me, even though curved roads would be cool in some scenarios, I'm not sure how much I would use them. Part of the challenge of Anno games is compact production layouts and production chains, and if a road was curved this would make building compactly much more difficult - so I would just use straight roads.

timhageman
09-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Agree with the previous poster. Constructing curved roads will not fit in the anno gameplay style of making compact production chains combined with large, compact cities around single city centres. However, if this suggestion is to dynamically addapt the border around buildings to visually show curved roads around buildings, while still beng grid based building, this might make for some nice visuals.

aburja
09-11-2017, 12:21 PM
I was personally after the visual effect, mostly.

I want my city to look great as well as have it function great! :)

But depending on the geography, curved roads might actually help you use your land efficiently.

AgmasGold
09-11-2017, 12:34 PM
At the edges of islands, along coast lines, it could definitely be a help.

citizensfor
09-12-2017, 04:32 AM
At least 45 degree angles should be incorporated into this game.. I mean, even Transport Tycoon could do that in 1995.. and with a "city building' type game, just 90 degree angles just isn't cool.. Especially for railroads, where it looks very silly to have a 90 degree turn in a track over one tile.

AgmasGold
09-12-2017, 10:19 AM
I don't think it comes down to whats possible. I just don't think its a necessary feature thats all. WIth 45 degree angles, how would buildings look? I understand where you're coming from in terms of the railway track, trains do need large, smooth curves, to turn with and thats something I assume blueByte have thought of (they do their research).

If curved/angled roads were a feature, I feel like I would barely use them, as I like compactness in my production chains (I have added a few 1404 compact chains to the wiki - perfume and coffee). This is because I like to build big, and you need to use all the space you have available in the most efficient way possible in order to be able to fit everything in. Sometimes I've even needed to artificially boost the production of a raw material with an item due to there not being the number of mines available that I need (quartz, copper, gold).

Transport Tycoon was a 2D isometric game, meaning a completely different set of circumstances to Anno's 3D engine.

aburja
09-12-2017, 01:19 PM
If you really looking at what is "necessary"...

Any form of visuals are nothing but eyecandy, pure bling and nothing else.

Pretty houses? Water reflections?
People that walk the streets?

It makes the game immersive!

The city you build suddenly feels real.

It becomes enjoyable, significantly more enjoyable.

It matters even though it makes no change to gameplay.

If they spend they're time and money to make ships look better using cloth subsurface scattering and what not..

..then they might as well make roads look better too.

AgmasGold
09-12-2017, 02:00 PM
Well, when you put it that way...

I think I was thinking about this from a different angle - if the implementation of other features would be lost at the expense of implementing this one.

ANN0nymity
09-13-2017, 12:26 PM
Curved roads would also be better to use at your production buildings, so your market cars can pick up the goods faster (instead of taking a huge corner, they just can go right to there destination). (Also when you add the *transport from warehouse to warehouse idea* this would be very usefull).

DoomDutch
09-13-2017, 05:10 PM
My stand on this is the same I have with games like C&C Red Alert.
It has become something iconic for the series. (although RA3 changed it up a little bit)

And adding this kind of feature could take a while to implement and test to see if it is even veasable or not.
Moreover, if it takes a lot of effort to do so, other content could be scrapped instead, like the devs have stated in their blogs.

vinniciussilva
09-23-2017, 12:50 AM
Hi people!

I think curved roads do not fit with anno kind of gameplay. Maybe 90 degrees could work, but I do not think this is a great idea. This had to be the first thing to plan on the project in terms of programming. It is too hard to implement this feature now. I am a programmer and I have already worked on a city building game.

Layout it is a really important aspect in the Anno game. I lke the square ways of adjusting things. :D

@aerovinni
Thank you!
Santa Maria, Brazil.

FHackner
09-24-2017, 06:30 PM
Hi people!

I think curved roads do not fit with anno kind of gameplay. Maybe 90 degrees could work, but I do not think this is a great idea. This had to be the first thing to plan on the project in terms of programming. It is too hard to implement this feature now. I am a programmer and I have already worked on a city building game.

Layout it is a really important aspect in the Anno game. I lke the square ways of adjusting things. :D

@aerovinni
Thank you!
Santa Maria, Brazil.

this.
While I would like if they went with the cities skylines way of dealing with building freedom, this is a very big design decision that is already probably to late to make now.
It not just the roads. Everything else that connects to it would have to be made in a way that things fit and don't overlap and etc

AgmasGold
09-24-2017, 06:51 PM
It would be a major undertaking, and really wouldn't add to the core gameplay of Anno, which is the production chains, in addition to the colonization and providing for citizens.

BertProesmans
09-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Guys, i see a lot of negativity because of the idea that it would be 'to late to implement' or 'to big to undertake'. This thread is about pitching the idea and not to make dev decisions ourselves.

About the topic; the first time i read the idea i thought it would be a good idea, since i know the way Cities Skylines does it and there it's done well.
Curved roads is, like mentioned, an aesthetic feature which can definitely be useful. My worries however are about the timing when they are considered te be built/usefull.

You probably won't be using them at the start of the game. As a consequence you might be considering them somewhere during the game, but at a (possible) demolition cost. Some hours into the game the effort to improve the look af your city while sustaining your settlements might not be enjoyable anymore.
That being said i don't say the option shouldn't be there, but to me the idea behind it doesn't seem to perfectly align with Anno gameplay.
Also, the idea of starting a new game while building aesthetically is unforgivable; it's set in stone before the game starts and you will probably be playing a losing game should you change your mind (or get bored).
I see absolutely no problem having this (and related) features if there is a form of GOD mode.

moryz23
10-05-2017, 01:44 AM
Did they say anything about 45 angled roads or buildings?

Because in the reveal trailer you can spot some harbor buildings in a 45 angle.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ncquJugOLE8/maxresdefault.jpg

https://youtu.be/pOCwCgWcJY8?t=50s

Only harbor buildings, though.

AgmasGold
10-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Good spot there, maybe the buildings will snap perpendicular to the coast. In a gameplay video, it doesn't seem like 45 placements are an option, though it doesn't fully show all potential cases of where you might want to place buildings. This Post (https://www.anno-union.com/en/union-update-our-union-vote-has-a-winner/), scroll down a bit to see the video.

citizensfor
10-07-2017, 05:15 AM
We at least need 45 degree angles in this version, but along with that 30 degree incriments would be great too.

https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fwww.lib.utexas.edu%2Fma ps%2Fhistorical%2Fboston_1814.jpg&sp=d5fdbe100a16f0d0b56a4b13d36a2ec3

Boston, a few years after 1800.. Notice how the roads aren't all at 90 degrees?

AgmasGold
10-07-2017, 12:55 PM
That's relatively uniform still, compared to how the roads are in the UK :).

I think it comes down to what's possible in the engine.