PDA

View Full Version : Punished for Patience - Removed from match due to inactivity

Sipherdidus
09-09-2017, 04:02 AM
So, here's my pissed off story of the day.

I was fighting a PK who was only, ONLY using GB and ZA flicker to fight me. As a Shugoki, this is kinda hard to get past, cause one missed (or not missed, honestly this game sometimes just screws you either way) input, or a single moment I'm not guarding to the right = free damage for her. To add to this, all she did was dash away after each attempt, failed or successful. Basically I had no way to retaliate outside of throwing out light attacks when she came in and hoping she didn't think to parry.

To counteract the constant dashing away, I decided to move to an area that was a bit more confined, obviously to my advantage - a Demon's Embrace off a lucky ZA parry would have been awesome, and having walls nearby makes it easier. However, the PK absolutely refused to come into the space, simply choosing to run around like a typical idiot PK player outside, waiting for me.

Naturally, I just decide to wait. I'm Shugoki, and being patient is kind of all we got.
However, because this game is a magical wonderland of beauty and candy and all-you-can eat horse shi+, because I did not put an input in for a minute or two (or however long, I dunno, it was within the span of a single duel match) it kicked me due to "inactivity" despite me being there, watching for the PK to do some stupid shenanigans.

Needless to say I raged, because I received a 10-minute penalty for trying to be patient and strategic against someone who didn't need to be either. I guess I know better than to just not press any buttons now, but seriously, that's fuvking stupid. Why remove for inactivity in duels? If someone is inactive, they'll just get destroyed in 10 seconds, wasting maybe 30 total seconds of the other player's time as he mows you down for 3 rounds.

Ugh.

Antonioj26
09-09-2017, 04:06 AM
I don't see the problem, you know the penalty exists and you even said you knew better than to not press any buttons. Just don't do it again and you're fine.

Sipherdidus
09-09-2017, 04:15 AM
I know better NOW. I had no idea that this existed until literally just now, otherwise I would have moved something.

Either way, with the PK just running around like an idiot outside, there was no reason for me to be pressing buttons, so I thought nothing of it.

AkenoKobayashi
09-09-2017, 04:16 AM
That is dumb. I assume you weren't in guard stance either? While it is understandable to have a inactivity punishment, it should be more lenient than that in a 1v1 game mode.

Antonioj26
09-09-2017, 04:29 AM
That is dumb. I assume you weren't in guard stance either? While it is understandable to have a inactivity punishment, it should be more lenient than that in a 1v1 game mode.

It's 2 minutes. That's more than enough time to flick your stick every now and then.

Antonioj26
09-09-2017, 04:31 AM
I know better NOW. I had no idea that this existed until literally just now, otherwise I would have moved something.

Either way, with the PK just running around like an idiot outside, there was no reason for me to be pressing buttons, so I thought nothing of it.

Bet you won't let that happen to you again.

CandleInTheDark
09-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Right, so you go somewhere that is to your advantage, where the opponent knows that one guardbreak can turn the game from critical to one hit loss, and you're surprised they don't come to you? Whatever character I was duelling with I wouldn't have gone there against a shugoki either, especially if I was winning because that is practically suicide,you want to sit somewhere you have all the cards and I am not following you. You said it yourself, you have the advantage there, if you know it likely your opponent knows it.

And given afk has been a thing since february, honestly that's on you.

UbiInsulin
09-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Yeah Sipherdidus, the AFK penalties have been put in place for good reason, and we don't hear many reports of false positives like this. I'm sorry for the frustration this caused, but FH is hardly the only game that will kick if you don't do anything for a minute or two.

We probably made a conscious decision to remove for inactivity in duel, because the bottom line is we want games to be played with players who are in fact playing.