View Full Version : Upgrading Advice Please

Darmek5
06-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Current system Specification.

Windows XP Home
Pentium 4 1387mhz
GeForce 4 Titanium 4200 128mb
384mb PC800

At the moment my computer can't handle all the players in a server to run Far Cry (played demo). It doesn't seem to make a difference to my frame rate if I lower the graphics. I am assuming that this is because my graphics card is good enough but my processor isn't coping. If I was to upgrade to a standard 3.4ghz Pentium 4 would my system be good enough to run the game well? Also, How can I find out which socket my motherboard uses so that I can choose the right CPU?

Darmek5
06-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Current system Specification.

Windows XP Home
Pentium 4 1387mhz
GeForce 4 Titanium 4200 128mb
384mb PC800

At the moment my computer can't handle all the players in a server to run Far Cry (played demo). It doesn't seem to make a difference to my frame rate if I lower the graphics. I am assuming that this is because my graphics card is good enough but my processor isn't coping. If I was to upgrade to a standard 3.4ghz Pentium 4 would my system be good enough to run the game well? Also, How can I find out which socket my motherboard uses so that I can choose the right CPU?

gain967
06-17-2004, 01:38 PM
Good processor to upgrade to, but your video card is the weak link. You will need atleast 1 gig of ram to play this game the way its intended. I would suggest the best bang for your buck in cards is the ati 9600xt or the nvidia 5900xt both are under $200.00. Good luck !

fabulouscoops
06-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Be aware that your motherboard may not be able to handle a 3.4 gHz CPU. Go to the manufacturers website and get the specs on what processors it will take. You may need to upgrade your mobo as well.
I second gain967 on the RAM issue.

one other point...
Getting a video card that is "good enough" now may not cut it if you want to play HL2 or Doom3 later this year. I heard somewhere that, as a rough guide, to match your processor and vid card you should spend about the same for each. It would be a shame to buy a card now and then have to buy another one later.
Good Luck