PDA

View Full Version : No DLC / Micro-Transacions BUT REAL Expansion(s) Yes or No?

ES_Chrizz
09-05-2017, 12:18 AM
So since many companies fell into the DLC / Micro-Transaction marketing strategy since the smartphone app invasion A lot of games introduced those stupid Loot Boxes so you have a change on getting it. a lot of games have this and it's even affecting the game-play, like almost pay 2 win.

Anyways there are many ANNO players which are older people even elderly people who really dislike those DLC's I know it's easy to deliver to the end-user. But questioning around gaming communities people rather see real expansion sets, just like ANNO 1404 had and many other games. They don't mind waiting 1 or 1+ year for a expansion set if its really good.

There are also a ton of companies who "abuse" that Micro-Transaction system and secretly force you to buy those ingame credits or loot boxes because it's not fun to grind months and months for getting something.

And also for collectors they rather have a physical copy of the game + expansion rather than those so called season-passes

So what's your opinion? Want to see those micro-transactions or none of all and just a legit Expansion Pack?

DoomDutch
09-05-2017, 03:12 AM
One note: DLC's and Expansions can be the same.(Seen how DLC stands for 'DownLoadable Content' and an expansion can be downloaded.)

As for the rest: I truely hope Blue Byte will make their game without any micro-transactions. (Thus, not being pressured/forced to do so by Ubisoft)
What I do hope they do, is like they did in Anno 1404, where you can unlock portraits, coat of arms, colours and decorative buildings by spending an in-game currency you can earn by getting achievements! This rewards players to play the game instead of just throwing money at it.

timhageman
09-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Also hoping for no micro transactions, and no system like the rare resources requiring a mobile app like the asteroid miner for anno 2205.

Considering the expansion vs DLC question, I myself would prefer to have regular DLC compared to a single expansion a year later. However, since most games these days make DLC an extremely small adition to the game, and no amount of current day dlc can come close to an expansion, what I'm really hoping for is mostly extra contents to increase the time the game remains interesting.

sirk1974
09-07-2017, 10:42 AM
I preffer DLC vs. big expancion but at decent price, no forget so many players in country wity very low salary vs. imortant states!

Ubi-O5
09-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone,

we hear your concerns. It's pretty early in development to talk about DLC or Microtransactions. Right now, the Studio focuses on delivering Anno 1800 with all the promised features at launch.

OptimaForma
02-04-2018, 02:36 AM
No gems, no microtransactions. I prefer an actual expension over a few DLC's. They need to get it right, glad this OP is out there to warn the dev

ruuti0
02-04-2018, 01:30 PM
I am happy that we will get Anno 1800!

Its not something taken for granted that we even have new Anno coming, it is privilege that Ubisoft is giving to us!

If they add DLCs later, it only will be bonus to already good thing, main thing is that we get Anno 1800 and I am very grateful and happy about it!

Raydoovah
02-04-2018, 03:13 PM
Full Fledges expansions are great, Expansions that add mechanics, new products to manufacture, maybe even a new civ level and etc. I would gladly pay $15 for that.

DLC, I don't think it's that bad of an idea. For instance if i could buy skins for my buildings. Like "The Russian building set" or "The French Building Set", that would be pretty cool.
Maybe different skins for monuments, or for my ships. I'd like that a lot. And maybe even buy some of them.
A new AI as an option.

Boosts or MT's for speeding things up? Nah. It compromises the integrity of the developer and would not lead to anything good for the franchise, imo.

ruuti0
02-04-2018, 05:58 PM
I personally like more option to buy DLC with full of new things than buy separetely new "small" things to game

stylisticsagi
02-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Micro transactions are a real not done for me.
a decent expension is always nice cuzz it's onlye when people start to play you get to know what the community really misses and you can bring that in a dlc and a decent dlc does not goe without a new or following story and extra side missions.

as for gems i did like the way 1404 worked so you can play for achievements and when you got those achievements you got to unlock extra decorative buildings (wich in my eyes add a small bonus to hapiness or something just a small bonus). And i can perfectly live with the fact people can buy these in micro transactions for those who want's to buy them as well, as long as we can also get them by completing achievable achievements.

ruuti0
02-05-2018, 05:35 PM
It would be also important in multiplayer games that nobody cannot get unfair advantage from having bought something via so called micro transactions.

It could lead to situation where games are won by those who spend most money on micro transactions and not by those who played better and had more skill.

iruet
02-06-2018, 11:09 AM
That sounds like p2w and that is not exactly fun to play in if ya ask me...

ruuti0
02-06-2018, 03:24 PM
That sounds like p2w and that is not exactly fun to play in if ya ask me...

Yeah, it would definitely be unfair.

For example I heard from my friends who played star wars battlefront (2?) multiplayer that players who bought most stuff got really unfair advantage toward other players.
I hope Anno 1800 doesn't go to that direction.

iruet
02-07-2018, 07:45 PM
Yeah that is what your idea reminds me off, that is why it's a no for me at this point in time, eventhough I think it is interesting

Swimming-Paul
02-08-2018, 03:38 PM
Big Expasion a-la Venice for 1404 or Deep Ocean for 2070. 100%!!!

ruuti0
02-08-2018, 05:18 PM
Big Expasion a-la Venice for 1404 or Deep Ocean for 2070. 100%!!!

Yep, especially Deep Ocean was great DLC, it allowed you build underwater, gave you new civilization level and had the longest production chain in the history of Anno and plenty of new goods and gameplay dynamics.

If Anno 1800 is as good as 2070, I bet Ubisoft could make "countless" DLCs and people still would buy them all.

If they do DLCs to 1800, I hope they are as big as Deep Ocean was for 2070!

iruet
02-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Yep, especially Deep Ocean was great DLC, it allowed you build underwater, gave you new civilization level and had the longest production chain in the history of Anno and plenty of new goods and gameplay dynamics.

If Anno 1800 is as good as 2070, I bet Ubisoft could make "countless" DLCs and people still would buy them all.

If they do DLCs to 1800, I hope they are as big as Deep Ocean was for 2070!

But first... Anno 1800 ♥

ruuti0
02-10-2018, 01:19 PM
Best way would be in my opinion to get big DLCs later and no micro-transacions that give advantage in multiplayer games.

Of course I don't demand DLCs, I am happy with just 1800, but if they make them, I don't have anything to against them either.

For me it just sound easier and cheaper to make DLCs than make again full new game. Surely at somepoint in future I hope that they make new game also!

Fuzzician
02-14-2018, 08:20 AM
So, to start off, absolutely under NO circumstances can there be micro-transactions.

Remember that ANNO is a singleplayer experience just as much as Multiplayer, so attempts to turn this into some kind of Live-Service garbage would be a terrible waste of a great game.

As for the question between DLC and Expansions, a full-sized expansion is a great way to breathe life back into a game, once people have had their share of it. If a game sells well and is well received, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't keep going with it, further improving it with content worth waiting (and paying) for.
DLC can be useful too, to sate our appetites in small bits, or if Ubisoft isn't sure whether an expansion is warranted.

As always, after the game ships, wait for feedback. It will help you determine the kind of content you could create for expansion, and which ideas (which were liked) could be expanded upon.

WorldC
02-14-2018, 10:18 AM
First post here, so... Hi you all!

While in general I dislike microtransactions, it can be a good thing too.

For example take Boom Beach. This is a mobile free game with microtransactions. But most important, there are no exclusive items to buy. EVERYTHING is unlockable in the game. Sure it takes 2 years to complete the whole game, but if you want to cut some time, you can spend some money.

With Boom Beach I eventually spent about 150 euro in 2 years time. I think I have paid for the exact entertainment I was looking for. There where updates which I didn't like, so this resulted in spending less money. And when a great update was released I found myself spending again.

I like this far more than spending 70 euro's up front and hoping the game is nice and cool.

But I agree with most of you guys that the implementation usually is not so great.

The BB team was very open about them testing those models. So they talked to us about what was working. They tryed monthly subscription or one time deals or yearly deals.. Always a few euro's... And we liked it. Feedback in the forums was great and Devs went the right way I guess.

So yeah... It's a though subject but it's not always 100% bad....

ruuti0
02-14-2018, 06:16 PM
So, to start off, absolutely under NO circumstances can there be micro-transactions.

Remember that ANNO is a singleplayer experience just as much as Multiplayer, so attempts to turn this into some kind of Live-Service garbage would be a terrible waste of a great game.

As for the question between DLC and Expansions, a full-sized expansion is a great way to breathe life back into a game, once people have had their share of it. If a game sells well and is well received, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't keep going with it, further improving it with content worth waiting (and paying) for.
DLC can be useful too, to sate our appetites in small bits, or if Ubisoft isn't sure whether an expansion is warranted.

As always, after the game ships, wait for feedback. It will help you determine the kind of content you could create for expansion, and which ideas (which were liked) could be expanded upon.

Yep I agree.

But first they have to focus make 1800 totally ready and competely and if it success well, DLCs would be good for Ubisoft also (financial wise and because they wouldn't have to make total new game which could make again over a year, but they could use same engine and same game with just added content) and fans would get more to play, both teams would win!