PDA

View Full Version : Maybe time to fix the matchmaking

D4F0R
09-04-2017, 06:04 PM
I think it is time, been playing since launh and honest to god 10% of my games both players are the same level. Got even worse now, only fighting guys waaay better than me all the time. Giving up on this ****, pls fix ur game ubi

SangLong524
09-04-2017, 06:26 PM
If u really been "played since launch" like everyone else out there, then u should know this as any players that "has been playing since launch": Same level doesn't mean same skills. Nor a lower, non prestige hero is any less than a over hundred prestige one. Given that levels can reach hundreds, u sure u want to resort to this so called "same level=same skill" silliness? There maybe very few people still down there with u.ehem, my apology!
No, I'm afraid the remedy is to "git gud". It's hard and takes time, I know. But it's also very hard to lower ourselves just for people to catch up with our level

AnEnticingSquid
09-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Same level doesn't mean same skills. Nor a lower, non prestige hero is any less than a over hundred prestige one. Given that levels can reach hundreds, u sure u want to resort to this so called "same level=same skill" silliness? There maybe very few people still down there with u.ehem, my apology!
No, I'm afraid the remedy is to "git gud". It's hard and takes time, I know. But it's also very hard to lower ourselves just for people to catch up with our level

I disagree. The way matchmaking works now is most likely that it takes your overall win/loss percentage and pairs you with someone who has a similar w/l %. The problem with that is that someone with a 5/5 win/loss will get paired with someone who is 5000/5000. And the game says "yep. Deifinately on par.". But there is no way a player can "git gud" if he is playing against someone who stomps them into the dirt again and again. He will just stop playing the game... And that doesn't help anybody. I get paired with people that are like rep 2 all the time. I'm not a god at this game, but I know what I'm doing and can parry lights reliably. It's unfair to someone learning how to play the game to be paired against some one who has been playing for months...

SangLong524
09-04-2017, 07:19 PM
oh i understand the difficulty newcomers face when they run into veterans, but that's why custom maps with level 3 bots is there, or just friendly VsAI. That is the place one "git gud" or to the sensitive souls, get good. The possibility that we can run into somebody way higher up is good chance to see if we have made any "git gud" progress. How do u get good without trying to reach higher? Want easy, as challenging as u like? there's custom maps. or form your own group and play among yourselves. All options are there. u may not like the chance to run into someone much higher level but some others enjoy the possibility.

"Playing since launch" and still lose is nothing to be ashamed of, or angry about. it also implies that your prestige should be very high already, if not that mean u play extremely sporadically. That's as good as a newbie. Really, "playing since launch" is quiet common here, like it's a certificate to profess as you will. Can anyone get a better badge? like playing long b4 it even launched? I too have played since launch here, although a 2 or 3 weeks late.

Seriously, this is all bruised ego talking. the struggling is internal. in other words, he is his own problem. he's being beat down by people who started at the same time as he did. Now that IS quiet embarrassing. Or did I misunderstand that he simply want to be treated like a rookie while effectively calling himself a veteran? I'm very sorry the current matchmaking isn't tuned to his liking but it's fine with me, except that I hope that they can fix it so everyone can play.

Netcode_err_404
09-04-2017, 07:37 PM
oh i understand the difficulty newcomers face when they run into veterans, but that's why custom maps with level 3 bots is there, or just friendly VsAI. That is the place one "git gud" or to the sensitive souls, get good. The possibility that we can run into somebody way higher up is good chance to see if we have made any "git gud" progress. How do u get good without trying to reach higher? Want easy, as challenging as u like? there's custom maps. or form your own group and play among yourselves. All options are there. u may not like the chance to run into someone much higher level but some others enjoy the possibility.

"Playing since launch" and still lose is nothing to be ashamed of, or angry about. it also implies that your prestige should be very high already, if not that mean u play extremely sporadically. That's as good as a newbie. Really, "playing since launch" is quiet common here, like it's a certificate to profess as you will. Can anyone get a better badge? like playing long b4 it even launched? I too have played since launch here, although a 2 or 3 weeks late.

Seriously, this is all bruised ego talking. the struggling is internal. in other words, he is his own problem. he's being beat down by people who started at the same time as he did. Now that IS quiet embarrassing. Or did I misunderstand that he simply want to be treated like a rookie while effectively calling himself a veteran? I'm very sorry the current matchmaking isn't tuned to his liking but it's fine with me, except that I hope that they can fix it so everyone can play.

Theres one problem tho.

Lvl 3 bots don't spam vortex while turtling, in poor words, don't train you properly for real pvp.

This game lacks players so bad, snd theres a reason, im not saying my reason is the reason, but surely bad mm and non existent balance don't help

SangLong524
09-04-2017, 07:40 PM
Aye, I agree. But it's not OP's problem. I don't think ai is prepared to train us to deal with technical issues

D4F0R
09-08-2017, 06:06 PM
when i said same level i meant same skill

SangLong524
09-08-2017, 07:20 PM
i suppose they base "skill" on something like KDR, maybe. Don't remember if it's ever clarified so it's entirely possible for u to get sorted into a match like that.
The matter of practice aren't fully shown by kdr or time played, I'm afraid. And there very few non-biased indicators regarding one's skills anyway, save for so many belief-based indicators which I casually and safely dismiss. ranked modes can be a good indicator though. Although personally I couldn't care less for that.
Whether if one has better skill or no is clearly shown when one is dead or alive in the end. Maybe u can try dismissing their rank and fight like equal, u'll be surprised how much easier it can be. Breaking enemy's morale is a battle half won, u know that?

Haplo_Bane
09-08-2017, 07:44 PM
You're very correct SangLong in you're above statement. I'm rep 110 and many people simply run from me. Yet I have been beaten by new players more times than I care to remember. I recently aquired a new member in my team( Now the undisputed dominion champions in the region- Oceana {sounds of my trumpet blowing}),he's rep 7 and just as good as me.I KNOW I beat some people because they convince themselves that Rep = Skill. It doesn't. Just means you play a lot.

UbiInsulin
09-08-2017, 08:22 PM
I think it is time, been playing since launh and honest to god 10% of my games both players are the same level. Got even worse now, only fighting guys waaay better than me all the time. Giving up on this ****, pls fix ur game ubi

Hi D4em0nd! I understand it's frustrating to repeatedly encounter players who don't seem to be of the same skill level. Our matchmaking system expands the skill range as the time to find a match gets larger (Strict > Medium > Extended > All Skills).

Basically there's 3 factors that affect matchmaking: skill, location, and time (which is the factor that controls the other 2, as in the end we want to prioritize creating a match in a convenient amount of time).

Are you experiencing lopsided matches across all game modes?

DoctorMcBatman
09-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Hi D4em0nd! I understand it's frustrating to repeatedly encounter players who don't seem to be of the same skill level. Our matchmaking system expands the skill range as the time to find a match gets larger (Strict > Medium > Extended > All Skills).

Basically there's 3 factors that affect matchmaking: skill, location, and time (which is the factor that controls the other 2, as in the end we want to prioritize creating a match in a convenient amount of time).

Are you experiencing lopsided matches across all game modes?

How do you reconcile that Dominion activity is constantly "Very High Activity," but the game resorts to "All <insert criteria here>" almost every time I play? If there is Very High Activity, how hard is it to find 7 players in a region containing 10 million people (guessing at what a "region" is defined by, but I can't be far off, it must be millions)? Or are there that few players?

I only say "almost" in the paragraph above because I don't want to make a blanket statement. But I can't recall any time in FH where I entered matchmaking, and all 3 requirements were met without having to resort to expansion. If it does happen, it's seldom enough for me to not remember.

To simplify: is matchmaking just not that good, or are there not enough players to satisfy the initial requirements (skill, location, time)? I don't expect you to answer, but you should (and probably do) know that this nags a huge portion of the player base.

And on Skill, is that the number that is displayed in the wreath-thing on the loading screen before a match? I've never seen this codified or explained anywhere.