PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Weather and Season Cycles, along with more types of natural disasters.

DarkStar_Prime
09-04-2017, 05:17 PM
Hello guys.

I wanted to share something that I've been thinking about and believe that will add alot of replay value to the game. In other Anno games we had natural disasters, like tornadoes, thunderstorms, volcanoes, tsunamis etc. They did made the game more challenging as well as fun to play where we had to take measures to safe guard our settlements or plan them keeping the natural disasters in mind which made the game mechanics quite deep in my opinion. Also the day and night cycle in Anno 2205 was icing on the cake. With that being said, I for one hope to see dynamic weather and season cycles along with more types of natural disasters. I for one believe that adding them in Anno 1800 will not only make it beautiful but also more complex and challenging and honestly speaking, it ain't a proper Anno unless it's complex and beautiful to look at.

I hope that the developers would take my request into consideration.

Regards

ES_Chrizz
09-05-2017, 12:21 AM
I posted this before in many comments on the ANNO UNION Website.

What I loved in 2070 was the pollution, smog and for ECO’s you can see get your island more greener and greener while TYCO’s had more smog. I can see SMOG disasters already in 1800 since it was a smoggy age with all those coal factories.

What I’d love to see with those 4 seasons thing is that it stays longer like 3~4+ days in-game time and fades overtime. maybe they can add cooler weather disasters with this too.

Winter time (cold affects the farmer / cattle productivity, more coal for heating the houses but stoking fire causes more household fires)
Summer time (high risk of fire, thunder strikes and other summer-time disasters like tornadoes, tsunami’s)
Autumn time (mostly just visual but a lot more rain. can cause flooding).
Spring time (also visual)

DarkStar_Prime
09-05-2017, 11:20 AM
I might've missed it. Anyway that makes two of us who want such new mechanics brother. :)

DarkStar_Prime
09-05-2017, 11:27 AM
I also had some other ideas that I forgot to include in my original post, like more types of regions both land and sea with their specific climates, conditions, disasters and fertility, like deserts, north atlantic ocean type etc. plus hurricanes or storms that would also affect the ships in the sea. Would also like to see vast amount of researching as was in anno 2070 and 2205. That'd be great. I'll keep posting other ideas here as well as soon as I have any.

CyrusCog
09-05-2017, 11:45 AM
I 'd like the idea of seasons. And if it combined with the disaster mechanic it will create a challenge for the player.

ES_Chrizz
09-05-2017, 04:26 PM
They might include this since it was in 1404 and 2070 too 2070 a bit less but 1404 had this in-game but the only thing was you only saw it on the small rivers / mountains and pine tree's.
I really hope they include snow too and snowy looking islands.

The seasons in the 1800's 1900's were really strong so I hope to see this in anno. Dynamic Weather / Seasons is really touching the souls of anno players :P

teasercat
09-05-2017, 06:20 PM
I absolutely agree - seasons should definitely impact gameplay, whether it is the movement of ships/trains or storage of food/goods for winter.

Silence2014954
09-06-2017, 03:34 AM
See the 4 seasons as an endless cycle, like it should be, would be great. Even without impact on production. Im sure you guys, Anno crew, you have all technology to put even simple visual effects.
Seasons, weather, a beautiful night.

Will we have 1 map as previous Annos, or more than 1? 2205 was huge... 11 maps and one of them was almost as big as the 1404 one.
Will we have 1 huge map like we never see before?

ANN0nymity
09-06-2017, 10:00 AM
I've had this idea also for a long time and it would be awesome. By adding seasons the game will be much more complex, because the players will have to keep in mind that during winter, rivers and lakes can freeze so troops can go over them, ships can't sail trough ice (maybe only icebreakers), no more fishing in rivers (maybe ice fishing), no more production of watermills, chances of winterstorms or avalanches, no productions of crop fields.
During spring there is a high production rate for crop fields and animals.
During summer there is it the same as spring, but there is a chance of droughts. so rivers and lakes can dry up so there is no fish anymore.
During autumn the production of fields will slowly drop and there is a chance of floodings, storms,...
So the players will have to keep these things in mind and need to find other ways to feed there people. This will lead to a much dynamic game :)
Also it would seem nice if there would be less islands in one sector but just way more bigger, so players would be forced to join each other on the same island.
Also there can be added some different terrains, like hills and plains where you can easily build on. Mountains where there are a few building places on plateaus,...

Another idea
for example: you can add a short building time to buildings so you can't just put 20 towers in a row so the troops that enter your ground are quickly dead and after that, you demolish it... This would seem more fun in multiplayer sessions. Of course the bigger the building, the longer the building time. And because nobody like waiting to long i would suggest the building time wouldn't be to long. Like for houses just some seconds, for a tower maybe a minute or two.

I've got a lot of other idea's so if you're interested just ask :D

DarkStar_Prime
09-07-2017, 09:56 PM
By all means, do share your ideas.

AgmasGold
09-08-2017, 12:30 AM
Without the instant building times, I feel like it would lose the Anno feel. Sure it can be abused slightly, but playing an Anno game and having to wait for buildings to be built, would just feel a little alien to me.

aburja
09-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Id love to see day/night, weather and seasonal effects.

But this need not affect gameplay, just add it for the visuals alone.

DarkStar_Prime
09-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Id love to see day/night, weather and seasonal effects.

But this need not affect gameplay, just add it for the visuals alone.

I'd say that there should be options in the settings for Dynamic Weather and Season Cycles to affect the gameplay or not. This way people can either choose to turn the effects on or off.

citizensfor
09-12-2017, 04:34 AM
To me, I really don't need a whole bunch of disasters.

I really like it when the weather looks and feels different, and ominous moments can happen, but I don't want to have to worry/ do things if a big thunderstorm comes through.

I would prefer just to see storm systems/squalls etc. visually manifested by rougher seas, maybe slower moving ships, but I don't want to be in charge of FEMA.

I know a lot of people really enjoy natural disasters, but if I could choose between buildings that grow taller toward downtown, or more natural disasters.. It wouldn't even be close.

AgmasGold
09-12-2017, 10:23 AM
I don't think I ever played with disasters turned on for Anno 1404. I agree with citizensfor, its just not something I want to be dealing with.

Tev163
09-12-2017, 07:56 PM
As far as I'm aware, the engine is an improved version of Anno 2205's engine, where elements are dynamically adjusted to lighting changes. So, at the very least, I'm certain day and night cycles will return.

What I'd love to see, though, is storm/ocean based disasters again (simply visual or otherwise). Hurricanes, the return of tsunamis, maybe even flooding all comes to mind. Another thing that could be interesting is a type of fire disaster that spreads over the landscape and burns all the trees down. I think Cities: Skylines implemented something like that recently.

And smog, of course. I loved having air pollution over industrialized areas/islands in Anno 2070.

mrkhubbard
09-15-2017, 03:37 AM
Greetings all,

I have to admit, one of the reasons I started even playing the ANNO games was because how cool the natural disasters were in game. I have always been fascinated with the wrath of mother nature. That being said I have not played the series since ANNO 1404. I just never really was a fan of the whole future ANNO idea, but I also know that a lot of people loved that and that's cool too, just my opinion. I just found out yesterday about the new ANNO 1800 coming out and was super pumped from the videos and screenshots that I have seeing.

Anyway I have read this whole thread and think this is some really great ideas! Just wanted to put in what I would like to see as well concerning the natural disasters in game.

1. Volcano. Please include the volcano, that is by far my favorite and in ANNO 1404 was absolutely beautiful. Maybe you could update its destructive power as well by having a random generator to determine what exactly type of eruption it will be. For instance just like in real life it may just vent some ash plumes into the air, maybe another to have just some lava come out of the vent like the volcanoes in Hawaii do, and maybe the least to happen would be the grand daddy of all eruptions with a very large explosion with lava, ash, and a pyroclastic flow which obliterates everything in its path.

2. Earthquake. This one is a must have and has a significant role in our humanities history. It would be cool for this to be updated as well just like real life so that if its off the coast it would generate a large tsunami and or on land to devastate the landscape.

3.Hurricanes. This would be really cool in game because just like in real life make this actual size correct which would cover a very large portion of the map as it moved through and make it to have the ability to generate random tornadoes, and of coarse flooding.

4.Tornado. Maybe update these as well to vary in their strength just they do in real life.

5.Tsunami. Obviously always caused by a earthquake in the ocean, volcanic eruption near ocean, or avalanche next to ocean.

6.Avalanche. This would be a awesome addition to those pristine snow capped mountains which could turn deadly.

7.Thunderstorm. Would be gorgeous with the day and night cycle, and deadly with their lightning strikes.

8.Plague or sickness. Good reason to keep our medical facilities updated and plentiful.

9.Fires. Very real threat for larger cities of industry.

ANN0nymity
09-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Very well said ;)
These are all great idea's. And if you add the wind directions by these disasters like tornado, it could be very chalenging and fun for the player.
Of course I understand that not everybody wants to have this much trouble all the time, so you can choose if you play with tornado's, tsunamis and other disasters. (like in ANNO 1404)

mrkhubbard
09-15-2017, 12:06 PM
Yes, I totally agree.

AgmasGold
09-15-2017, 01:27 PM
Volcanic Islands in 1404, and the mutable resource points for mines was an essential for some of my longer games. There literally wasn't enough copper mines in the map without them. Having a trade off between resources, and having to rebuild the island every so often was a good decision to have to make.

Nepherenthan
09-17-2017, 10:07 PM
You mean snowy area as in ANNO 1503? where u had these pacthes of ice with a few eskimos on it and u had to build your whale Fishers there to produce Lamp oil. ^^

i really hope they add multiple climates to the game

DarkStar_Prime
09-22-2017, 04:55 PM
Multiple Climates with their own specific types of resources, fauna, disasters, buildings etc. This would enhance the game's replay value greatly.

ANN0nymity
09-22-2017, 08:23 PM
Yeah, like a 4 season climate in the european (tempered) sectors and more of a weth and dry season in the more african countries. this would make stock more important and would be more challenging for the players

AgmasGold
09-22-2017, 08:40 PM
Maybe an option to toggle this would be good. That way, newer players have less to worry about. Plus having seasons may lose the anno feel for some people.

ANN0nymity
09-23-2017, 03:01 PM
A toggle would indeed be good but I don't agree that these endless seasons cycles are gonna reduce the ANNO feel. I think the opposite, its like discovering the orient for your first time, you learn the positive and negative aspects of it and learn to master it. Also it would be beautifull to see a snowlandscape,... of your city/country. It wouyld be awesome and would atract lots of new players I think (if implemented well)

AgmasGold
09-23-2017, 05:44 PM
Discovering the Orient is good, cycling seasons, for me, would reduce the anno feel. Sure it could be a good challenge, but for me, I would prefer to turn it off.

DarkStar_Prime
09-24-2017, 11:14 AM
Well, having to choose to play with or without seasons is personal choice entirely. For me, it ain't a proper anno game unless its mindbogglingly complex, but then again, it's my personal choice.

One more thing that I would love to see again is the transportation of workforce from island to island/sector to sector, provided they are at a certain distance to each other, as if the sector/islands are too far apart, then we'd have to establish a settlement in the vicinity in order to provide workforce for the production sites. Also it'd be good if public buildings used workforce too, along with ships.

anno607
09-27-2017, 07:48 PM
With season there will be a need for storage, so the warehouse will be more important than only storage capacity.

DarkStar_Prime
10-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Well if the implementation of season and weather cycle is visual only, (like day and night cycle in Anno 2205), then storage isn't gonna be a problem. Otherwise that will make the warehouse even more important. One more thing that I'd like to see is to be able to construct piers and build some limited amount of buildings on it, like fishery and that kind of stuff.