PDA

View Full Version : Zerk

MaxSundy88
09-04-2017, 03:13 AM
Any tips on playing with Zerk? I feel like everyone has caught on to how to take him out. Especially against cent. Ive been able to take out Glad pretty easily but I cant seem to take cent out. Something with the whole kick, stamina drain and fall, get stabbed while im down, get up and get stabbed and knocked back down and die bull****. Not whining at all, just looking for some tips on how to improve my play with him seeing as he's my main. Im on PS4, everyone is playing the cent because he is so easy to kill with. Lately ive been grinding on Dom but ive switched to 1v1 to try to hone back in with zerk because nothing I used to do works anymore and I find myself just button mashing whenever im getting ganged up on. Also, does it seem like his ability to block has slowed down? I follow the guard of my attacker but he never seems to be able to block in time.

AnEnticingSquid
09-04-2017, 03:33 AM
Zerker is in a bad spot right now... He was my main until rep 11. It got to the point where I couldn't beat anybody with him. You have to feint a lot. I would feint twice before even making an attack. Train them to not attempt any parry so you can sneak in lights. If they turtle up and just block, there is not much you can do.

His punish game is pretty damn good so if you play like a turtle, you can be decent with him (albeit very dull gameplay). He has the best oos punish in the game so if you actually do manage to knock someone down, throw them to the left or right, and heavy attack from the same direction you threw them from and follow up with a top heavy. I think it does like 90 damage or something crazy like that.

I think his problem is he lacks any opener. So you have to wait for an opponent to initiate the fight. If they are smart, they just won't attack leaving you to take the insane risk of throwing out an attack first.

As for cent, it doesn't matter what character you play as, your only option is to be a turtle. If you try to be aggressive, you will lose every time. Wait for cent to make a move. His strengths lie in his punishes so don't give him a chance. He has low hp so a couple punishes will put him down. He also has no good opener (in my opinion) so if you just sit there and wait, eventually he will get mad and throw something out. If he throws out any attack, parry it. It's your only chance to beat him. If he dodges forward, you know a kick is coming so get ready to dodge into gb. Basically don't throw out any attacks and counter all of his. Yeah it sucks but it is the best way to win. If he spams a lot of lights and heavies, use your hyper armor. You have more hp so you will win the trade. If he charges his attacks, easy parry. If he kicks a lot, dodge gb. If he starts with a leaping face ****er, you know he is trash. A good cent will try to get you to attack.

As for the block speed, I don't really see it (though I'm on xbox). And according to the devs, all characters have the same block speed now so there shouldn't be a problem. Maybe it is your internet or your tv could be a low 60hz.

S0Mi_xD
09-04-2017, 11:21 AM
Any tips on playing with Zerk? I feel like everyone has caught on to how to take him out. Especially against cent. Ive been able to take out Glad pretty easily but I cant seem to take cent out. Something with the whole kick, stamina drain and fall, get stabbed while im down, get up and get stabbed and knocked back down and die bull****. Not whining at all, just looking for some tips on how to improve my play with him seeing as he's my main. Im on PS4, everyone is playing the cent because he is so easy to kill with. Lately ive been grinding on Dom but ive switched to 1v1 to try to hone back in with zerk because nothing I used to do works anymore and I find myself just button mashing whenever im getting ganged up on. Also, does it seem like his ability to block has slowed down? I follow the guard of my attacker but he never seems to be able to block in time.

He is not in a bad spot like the other guy says, if you want i we can play some games and we will see if the problem lies by you Berserker or if it is just a lack of experience against Cent :)
my PSN: S0Mi_xD

Aarpian
09-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Flicker your zone attack.

AnEnticingSquid
09-04-2017, 02:46 PM
He is not in a bad spot like the other guy says, if you want i we can play some games and we will see if the problem lies by you Berserker or if it is just a lack of experience against Cent :)
my PSN: S0Mi_xD

How is he not in a bad spot? There are countless threads about him being low tier with the devs actually admitting that his kit can't be used as intended in the current meta. Your probably not at the skill level where your lights get reliably parried but once you are, you will realise his massive shortcomings.

S0Mi_xD
09-04-2017, 02:58 PM
How is he not in a bad spot? There are countless threads about him being low tier with the devs actually admitting that his kit can't be used as intended in the current meta. Your probably not at the skill level where your lights get reliably parried but once you are, you will realise his massive shortcomings.

And many of those threads are from me - because i know all the flaws with Berserkers toolkit.
4 moths ago, i thought the same way like you, but instead of talking Berserker bad, i did improved myself and my Berserker.

I play him since release and he is still my main, there is nothing i don't know about Berserker.

AnEnticingSquid
09-04-2017, 02:59 PM
And many of those threads are from me - because i know all the flaws with Berserkers toolkit.
4 moths ago, i thought the same way like you, but instead of talking Berserker bad, i did improved myself and my Berserker.

I play him since release and he is still my main, there is nothing i don't know about Berserker.

You still didn't answer why he isn't in a bad spot...

XJadeDragoonX
09-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Berserker is in a bad spot. But in skilled hands he can be very effective. I've won 4 tournaments with him and in my personal experience, against more skilled players, it's better to utilize hit and run tactics. Move in, get a little damage, get out. He just can't go toe to toe with people like centurion because he will run out of stamina.

AnEnticingSquid
09-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Berserker is in a bad spot. But in skilled hands he can be very effective. I've won 4 tournaments with him and in my personal experience, against more skilled players, it's better to utilize hit and run tactics. Move in, get a little damage, get out. He just can't go toe to toe with people like centurion because he will run out of stamina.

I'm not saying you can't win with him, but compared to most characters, he is pretty weak. He is good against assassins because he can pretty much become a shugoki and hyper armor through their attacks. But I agree with you on hit and run. That's what I was doing from like rep 7-11. But it just got too frustrating to play as. I think he needs some kind of unblockable. Every character in the game has an unblockable except him. I believe that ubs are by far the best openers and anyone who has one from neutral, is considered top tier. I would love to see a "grapple" something that can pull your opponent close to you or get you close to them. If it landed, they would have to react to your next attack. This combined with better feint mechanics would actually be pretty cool in my opinion.

XJadeDragoonX
09-04-2017, 03:45 PM
I agree. He needs an opener. He is so much at risk without one because he has such short range. And no way to engage without risking yourself. And it isnt even high risk high reward. Most character can hurt you much more than you can hurt them and it's much easier. I still do well with him. I have a 70% winrate with him in duels. I've won 4 tournaments(the berserker ornament still eludes me). But that's with a whole lot of practice and trial and error. I play him because I love him but with the same playstyle I use, I could do better with a different character. But I refuse lol

S0Mi_xD
09-04-2017, 05:34 PM
You still didn't answer why he isn't in a bad spot...

Under "in a bad spot" i understand, can't tkae any use of his kit, only "viable" with light attacks etc.

That was his state befor 1.05 (his hyperarmor change).
He still has many flaws in his toolkit but now you can use his toolkit much better.

Other changes (i think those changes are a result of time snap removal, because they are not mentioned anywhere), also making berserkers toolkit better (zone, Close combat, cancel attacks)

Chip dmg helps a little bit.

I don't think he needs an opener, but we will see it when the defense meta gets eliminated.

AnEnticingSquid
09-04-2017, 06:02 PM
I don't think he needs an opener,

I just... I can't even...

S0Mi_xD
09-04-2017, 06:12 PM
I just... I can't even...

Yeah, you can't xD
But i can play without an "opener"

And when defense meta is balanced, there will be even less of a reason for an "opener"...
You are the guy, who said that Berserkers Zone is useless - that means you are not that much experienced with Zerker.

MaxSundy88
09-04-2017, 06:24 PM
I agree 100% he needs an unblockable for sure.

AnEnticingSquid
09-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Yeah, you can't xD
But i can play without an "opener"

And when defense meta is balanced, there will be even less of a reason for an "opener"...
You are the guy, who said that Berserkers Zone is useless - that means you are not that much experienced with Zerker.

If you can start a fight by throwing out a light, then you aren't fighting very skilled opponents. And the defence meta will not help him with an opener because his attacks will still be the same speed. I can parry them now, and I will parry them then. And the zone isn't very useful. All I have to do is block it and I get a free parry. And if you follow up with a light like the guy said, you will get parried every single time. Maybe light spamming works at your level but give it some time, and you will find that playing as berserker is a huge handicapt compared to most other characters. Like i said, not impossible, but way harder. Your ignorance is pretty obvious if you don't think characters need an opener... And ifbyou comparebhis zone to almost every other characters zone, then yes it is hot garbage...

bmason1000
09-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Zone is incredibly useful, you just have to know when to use it. Trying to use it as an opener is an awful idea but I've gotten lots of kills with it

S0Mi_xD
09-04-2017, 06:38 PM
If you can start a fight by throwing out a light, then you aren't fighting very skilled opponents. And the defence meta will not help him with an opener because his attacks will still be the same speed. I can parry them now, and I will parry them then. And the zone isn't very useful. All I have to do is block it and I get a free parry. And if you follow up with a light like the guy said, you will get parried every single time. Maybe light spamming works at your level but give it some time, and you will find that playing as berserker is a huge handicapt compared to most other characters. Like i said, not impossible, but way harder. Your ignorance is pretty obvious if you don't think characters need an opener... And ifbyou comparebhis zone to almost every other characters zone, then yes it is hot garbage...

Nice one, yeah sure i am the ignorant one ^^
You sound like those guys who have a big mouth in the internet but if it would come to a fight, you would never be able to to the things you are talking about.
I fought enough really good PPL, but sure.

So, let's just say, berserker gets an opener - the way you present berserker, he would be still garbage, because he would have only one "viable move" so go on, spam it ^^.

The biggest handicap of most people (like you) is the mindset.
I went through this all, 4 or 5 months ago i would've been on your side.
Stay with your average mindset - i can say, i do well since i started to think different and improved myself ;)

AnEnticingSquid
09-04-2017, 06:44 PM
Nice one, yeah sure i am the ignorant one ^^
You sound like those guys who have a big mouth in the internet but if it would come to a fight, you would never be able to to the things you are talking about.
I fought enough really good PPL, but sure.

So, let's just say, berserker gets an opener - the way you present berserker, he would be still garbage, because he would have only one "viable move" so go on, spam it ^^.

The biggest handicap of most people (like you) is the mindset.
I went through this all, 4 or 5 months ago i would've been on your side.
Stay with your average mindset - i can say, i do well since i started to think different and improved myself ;)

Ok I can see you are triggered so I'm just gonna stop replying. Your ego is clearly the thing your trying to defend here and zerker is second. So believe what you want. You are entitled to it. And have a nice day. Cheers!

S0Mi_xD
09-04-2017, 06:56 PM
Ok I can see you are triggered so I'm just gonna stop replying. Your ego is clearly the thing your trying to defend here and zerker is second. So believe what you want. You are entitled to it. And have a nice day. Cheers!

Triggered, yes abit.
Defending my ego? Do i have a reason to feel attack personly? No - but that's a typical phrase you can throw out i the internet, just a cheap trick to get out of a quagmire, because you don't have a valid argument.

Like i said befor, i not only believe in it, i know it out of experience :)
Goodbye

PrimaGoosa
09-04-2017, 07:10 PM
I actually enjoy the fact that I don't have an unblockable on Zerk. It makes it feel like I have to overcome a weakness in the class to excel. There are no 50/50s, there's no guaranteed follow-up, it's all trying to bait parries, juking expectations, etc. If Zerk is given an opener that guarantees even just a light attack, I feel like it would be too strong/easy to get into super armor, and they would probably have to switch up how many attacks it takes to get into super armor which would be unfortunate.

If blocking took more chip damage, and if defensive play wasn't as rewarding, then I don't think Zerks would necessarily "need" an opener. Zerks are in an interesting place where they can feint heavies AND dodge cancel lights, so if someone is parrying your lights, they are reacting near-instantly to your attack, which means you should probably start attacking one side and canceling via dodge to the other. Then suddenly they have to think twice about parrying lights, and you hopefully have more openings.

Anyway, I absolutely love how Zerk plays, and I'd be sad if they were suddenly given an unblockable. Unblockables are way too prevalent as it is in all the new heroes.

bmason1000
09-04-2017, 07:23 PM
After completing 20 tournaments as berserker (I've been off for five days, wife still has to work, lots of time on my hands) i am realllly seeing the disadvantages to characters without openers. If your opponent doesn't want to engage they simply don't have to. If they don't go for parries, no amount of feint game in the world is getting through that shell. If you can get them to counter attack trading damage usually works in your favor. Again though, if they don't want to engage they simply don't have to. Having no way to force your opponent to do anything but block IS a disadvantage. I'm on the fence about an opener. I really want berserker to NOT need one but it's getting harder to defend that.

S0Mi_xD
09-04-2017, 07:31 PM
After completing 20 tournaments as berserker (I've been off for five days, wife still has to work, lots of time on my hands) i am realllly seeing the disadvantages to characters without openers. If your opponent doesn't want to engage they simply don't have to. If they don't go for parries, no amount of feint game in the world is getting through that shell. If you can get them to counter attack trading damage usually works in your favor. Again though, if they don't want to engage they simply don't have to. Having no way to force your opponent to do anything but block IS a disadvantage. I'm on the fence about an opener. I really want berserker to NOT need one but it's getting harder to defend that.

I completly understand your point, but there is no reason to ask for an opener in the current state.
As soon as they fix parries, fix the flaws in Berserkers kit, and gets some buffs to his infinite chain, we will see if he needs an opener.
In my opinion, giving him an Operner out of neutral is wrong. But i hope we will soon see in which direction the game evolves.

(i know, this sounds paradox :D, that he doesn't need one in the current state even if we now have the age of turtle/defensive xD)

PrimaGoosa
09-04-2017, 07:38 PM
And if people took more damage from blocking, especially blocking heavies, then they would slowly start to die and eventually they'd have to do something.

bmason1000
09-04-2017, 07:50 PM
I completly understand your point, but there is no reason to ask for an opener in the current state.
As soon as they fix parries, fix the flaws in Berserkers kit, and gets some buffs to his infinite chain, we will see if he needs an opener.
In my opinion, giving him an Operner out of neutral is wrong. But i hope we will soon see in which direction the game evolves.

(i know, this sounds paradox :D, that he doesn't need one in the current state even if we now have the age of turtle/defensive xD)
Oh I'm totally with you, I'd like to NOT have one and am very willing to wait and see how defense changes effect zerks viability. In the mean time though, i am torturing myself with these tournaments. I haven't won a single one yet and i am so determined to do so. I'm not losing enough to drop rank and I'm also not good enough to win finals. My reaction times are honestly pretty bad and i think that's a big part of what is really keeping me from being able to compete, not any shortcomings in beserker. I'm probably as good right now as my brain will physically allow me to be.

bmason1000
09-04-2017, 07:51 PM
And if people took more damage from blocking, especially blocking heavies, then they would slowly start to die and eventually they'd have to do something.
That is a valid point.

AnEnticingSquid
09-04-2017, 08:26 PM
An opener could be as easy as making his top heavy feint further into its animation. That way people are scared to not react to it (it would work kinda like highlanders Celtic curse.). Though this wouldn't be nearly as good as some other people's, it would add enough pressure to the defender to make a move. Because if you can top heavy feint into light more quickly, that would be a powerful mind game imo without giving him some crazy new move (I still think he should have an ub of some sort however.). Right now, exactly what bmason said is why I don't play him. Everybody knows not to engage a zerker head on. Wait him out and there is nothing he can do. Something that you could use to get into your combos and feints from neutral is what he needs. Because right now, you either have to parry someone's attack, or try some cheeky unlock tech which barely ever works. As all your combos start after the first attack. (Hyper armour, infini chain, feint train).

S0Mi_xD
09-04-2017, 08:32 PM
Oh I'm totally with you, I'd like to NOT have one and am very willing to wait and see how defense changes effect zerks viability. In the mean time though, i am torturing myself with these tournaments. I haven't won a single one yet and i am so determined to do so. I'm not losing enough to drop rank and I'm also not good enough to win finals. My reaction times are honestly pretty bad and i think that's a big part of what is really keeping me from being able to compete, not any shortcomings in beserker. I'm probably as good right now as my brain will physically allow me to be.

I will do my first tournament now :D
What are you playing on? TV or Monitor and how much respond time?

bmason1000
09-04-2017, 09:10 PM
I will do my first tournament now :D
What are you playing on? TV or Monitor and how much respond time?
Tv. 11ms. When the wide and i moved wev wanted a new tv and i did sone research and dropped some serious cash just because of this game haha

bmason1000
09-04-2017, 09:18 PM
i finally f***** did it. I have noooo idea how haha. I made so many mistakes, played like hot garbage. I missed easy parries(got zero parries or deflects the whole fight), had a hard time even blocking, put MYSELF out of stamina evvvvery round. Somehow, that LB played even worse haha. But I'll take the win! Now back to dom for like a week.

P.s. won a realllly gnarly conq ornament. It's pretty cool. I would totally use it if i played conq.

S0Mi_xD
09-04-2017, 09:33 PM
Tv. 11ms. When the wide and i moved wev wanted a new tv and i did sone research and dropped some serious cash just because of this game haha
Ohh thats really much - my tv has 8 ms and now i am playing on a monitor with 2ms --- a HUGE difference

i finally f***** did it. I have noooo idea how haha. I made so many mistakes, played like hot garbage. I missed easy parries(got zero parries or deflects the whole fight), had a hard time even blocking, put MYSELF out of stamina evvvvery round. Somehow, that LB played even worse haha. But I'll take the win! Now back to dom for like a week.

P.s. won a realllly gnarly conq ornament. It's pretty cool. I would totally use it if i played conq.

Thats great :) - oh ... nearly all conqu ornas are not that good :D

I am finished ... an that was hell, 2 good centurions ... i made it into the semi finals - both centurions are in the finals ....
It is pathetic to fight those players, and even more embarrissing that Ubi needs more than a season to fix him ...
I can fight a normal centurion, but a turtle centurion is just cancer.

But ok, i am abit out of shape (because i played Absolver since it released xD.
I fought good, but the moment they manage to parry you into the wall, you are done ...

bmason1000
09-04-2017, 10:44 PM
I am finished ... an that was hell, 2 good centurions ... i made it into the semi finals - both centurions are in the finals ....
It is pathetic to fight those players, and even more embarrissing that Ubi needs more than a season to fix him ...
I can fight a normal centurion, but a turtle centurion is just cancer.

But ok, i am abit out of shape (because i played Absolver since it released xD.
I fought good, but the moment they manage to parry you into the wall, you are done ... for real, turtle cent is an insanely tough match as a berserker. Aggressive cents i can handle, sometimes very very easily, but if they climb inside that shell the odds are reallly stacked against me.

XJadeDragoonX
09-05-2017, 01:17 AM
I have lots of experience with zerker so the best way to open up another player is to dash to them, and then dash,backward. Test them. Dip in and dip out. See what their tendencies are. Learn what they do. Hit them with a zone and get out. You truly have to be agile and study opponents. I can't tell you how many times I've lost the first 2 rounds and then won the next 3 because I took effort to learn everything my opponent will do.

Facing a warden? See if they go for a top light when you go in. If they do, dash in and parry. Facing a kensei, dash in and see if they default to their side dodge. Etc. Berserker requires a lot of studying your opponent