PDA

View Full Version : Help with dodging time against cent

mrmistark
09-03-2017, 07:03 AM
Hey fellow players,
I am a well practiced player (not to toot my own horn) but still even now am having quite a bit of difficulty against cent in the aspect of when I'm oos. Everyone keeps saying that the jab is dodgeable and obviously so is the kick. People even say the ub charge heavy is dodgeable.

However he's the only character that I feel like I can't get the dodging down on. It's like once I get hit with an ub heavy I can't get out of anything he starts throwing out except for a feint into gb.

I can dodge stand alone jabs and kicks but here is where I'm having problems all being while oos:

-even a normal heavy into a jab seems to be undodgeable to me unless he tries to fully charge it when he full charge isn't guaranteed. though I know it can be dodged. It seems like I don't have enough time to dodge out of the way in oos before it can connect.
-for some reason it feels like I don't have enough time between getting hit to dodge an incoming kick in oos either. Again if there is a delay after I get hit with an attack I can dodge it easy but when followed up directly afterwords I am having difficulty. It seems to start up my dodge but still just barely nicks me for a free heavy same as the jab.
-I've only ever been able to dodge a heavy ub by accident. I can normally parry it just fine, though still can't dodge it when in health stam but when I'm oos I prefer to not commit to the parry but dodging just seems obselete to me for some reason so I just keep going for the parry for it to turn into a gb.

Honestly cent is my down fall if I run out of stamina. The only other character I have trouble dealing with is zerker for some reason, I guess his feint game just really gets me every time. But anyways I play on XBOX and after hitting the ranked and facing many cents who aren't so easy to interrupt their chains I find this weakness of mine really hitting me hard and would love any feedback and suggestions to help me improve. I feel like maybe I'm trying to dodge too early? But when I try to dodge later than normal in the situations I put above when oos it seems like the dodge doesn't even start up before I get hit. It's driving me bonkers, so any helpful insights and visual cues you all use to help me time it or get better I would love to know!

kweassa1
09-03-2017, 08:10 AM
-even a normal heavy into a jab seems to be undodgeable to me unless he tries to fully charge it when he full charge isn't guaranteed. though I know it can be dodged. It seems like I don't have enough time to dodge out of the way in oos before it can connect.

- Jab is guaranteed on heavy hit. No avoiding that one.
- When heavy is blocked, and if opponent proceeds to fastest normal jab, it can be a little bit difficult for classes with slow dodge, but still very possible.

-for some reason it feels like I don't have enough time between getting hit to dodge an incoming kick in oos either. Again if there is a delay after I get hit with an attack I can dodge it easy but when followed up directly afterwords I am having difficulty. It seems to start up my dodge but still just barely nicks me for a free heavy same as the jab.

- it's probably purely psychological. Being in OOS doesn't slow your dodge down in any way. Usually, many people become extremely focused in trying to avoid GBs when they fall under OOS, and its entirely possible being too focused on GBs may slow your reaction against Legion Kick. For example, I get hit by Legion Kick a lot more often than I'd like to think, because usually my main priority is with avoiding heavies and heavy-jabs, so from time to time it can give me tunnel vision.

-I've only ever been able to dodge a heavy ub by accident. I can normally parry it just fine, though still can't dodge it when in health stam but when I'm oos I prefer to not commit to the parry but dodging just seems obselete to me for some reason so I just keep going for the parry for it to turn into a gb.

- Dodge timing is when the actual stab motion begins. If you look closely at the Centurion's ImpMight heavies (=UB heavy), it is consisted of three distinct actions.

(1) the Centurion "coils up" his body and draws his sword arm to his sides, grasping the weapon with both hands
(2) the the Centurion starts stepping forward, begins to show forward momentum while his sword arm is still tucked at his side
(3) the Centurion lunges his sword arm forward while during his forward "sliding" momentum

Basically, you dodge some time between the the latter half of (2) and former half of (3) (since, if you dodge too late at the latter half of (3), you'll be hit). Or in other words, the centurion has a (1) "charge up" --> (2) "step forward" --> (3) "lunge" ... 3-stage sequence. You dodge at whenever timing AFTER the "charge up" sequence and then it is dodged.