PDA

View Full Version : When is it safe to punish a Gladiator ?!?!?

We.the.North
09-02-2017, 07:09 AM
I play Shinobi and I must admit, I mostly dodge and counterattack rather than blocking / parrying.

Here is my problem : Gladiator recovery frame after I dodge his attack ARE NON EXISTENT !!! That means, I can't throw a ranged guardbreak after a backflip or I can't light/light after I dodge an attack, because he recoveres SO STUPIDLY FAST from a whiff attack that he can counter guardbreak or the next attack in his chain will hit me before my light/light can stagger him.

It's ****in ******ed.

So, all of you dodge happy players, when exactly can we punish a Gladiator ??

CheekyKemosabe
09-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Not sure why you're having an issue with it. What platform are you on?

I typically have no trouble punishing a gladiator for a missed attack. Never really about the dodge either, his attacks aren't cancer inducing speed of light fast and his UB are slow enough to parry. But I also custom match with friends and one of them is maining gladiator for season three so I've had a little practice in and out of matchmaking.

I recommend level 3 bot training or try finding a friend/player that's good with glad you can practice with.

We.the.North
09-02-2017, 08:34 AM
I play on PC.

I have no issue dodging all of Gladiator attacks. My issues comes from the following punish.

For instance : when a Berserker / Peacekeeper / Centurion / etc. do a jump attack and you dodge it ; then you'll get a free guard break on them. Not on the gladiator, he will either attack through your guard break or he will have recovered enough to be able to counter guardbreak you.

Another example : when you dodge out of a Berserker / Peacekeeper / Orochi "dodge attack", you'll be able to do a Light + Light attack on them safely. Not against the Gladiator since he'll chain into other attacks that will hit you before your light + light can stagger him.

In other words, you can try to be the agressor to get those light + light in, but if you try to play Shinobi like a counter-attacker, I just dont know exactly when it's time to strike back and if I should light + light or guardbreak after I dodge out of specific moves.

CheekyKemosabe
09-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Who are you playing as when you go up against a gladiator? I play assassin characters so the punishment is almost instant when a glad misses the attack on me.

SerArthur-Dayne
09-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Ita a bad matchup, unfortunately shinobi has a lot of hard counters like this. Because shinobi doesn't have a standard dodge attack like the rest of the assasins, this is what you ultimately und up with. If you run into a really good Gladiator, you will have to either parry everything, or deflect all his attacks.

S0Mi_xD
09-02-2017, 10:37 AM
I am an berserker, also dodge very much.

But how i go for gladiator in most cases.

Try to block all dash attacks, even with the slowest reflex guard it is pretty easy, because it is an fast attack and you need to block it on "reflex" ;D.
Fast attacks are not as risky to block as slow attacks with such a slow reflex guard.

If you are able to dodge all his attacks, you shouldn't have a problem to deflect them instead of clear dodge.

The recovery after the chained heavy (the wide swing) and the toe stab is long enough to punish with a GB.
Glad has an ability to recover faster.

After dodging the zone, the follow up attack is a free parry or deflect.

I am not that much experienced against Glad with shinobi, so i can't tell you detailes, the rest of punishes i know are berserker related.

Practice against a lvl 3 bot and you will find some more openings with Shinobi.

Knight_Raime
09-02-2017, 10:52 AM
Dodging a toe poke gives a GB.
his horizontal swinging heavies have slower recovery which lets in for some punishes.
his front bash has a pretty short reach. If you're a character that has an UB bash of their own you can punish that whiff pretty consistently.
All dash attacks if blocked are free GB's.

Otherwise it's pretty much just parrying them.