PDA

View Full Version : Warrior's Den August 31st

CandleInTheDark
08-31-2017, 02:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ3UU5U6SeU

Cries of Deus Vult echo across the lands, the knights held the volcano (it's a reddit thing >.>) and enough territory to score a critical early victory in the season of Grudge and Glory. However, one victory does not a war win and snapping on their heels are two who have tasted conquest and hunger for more. We are Warriors, this is our Den.

This in from Reddit's resident Pope.

MAINTENANCE @ Noon EDT. Downtime ~30minutes. This will deploy the Live Update (patch notes below) along with other cool stuff. You are strongly urged to tune in to the Warrior's Den at this time for the inside scoop, as its timing is the exact same as the show.

WARRIOR'S DEN - Noon EDT - http://twitch.tv/forhonorgame

Should be a shorter episode again this week as we do not have a ton of content to share, but what we do have is IMPORTANT! Definitely tune in for the latest on where we are with Tournaments (it's good news), the return of the (beloved) Faction War updates from Bio-Jade, a return of the (maybe beloved?) Q&A with Roman and Damien, and Community Corner.

Game maintenance is taking place (at the Den start time, I call shenanigans!)

Live update is going into effect.

Tournament news, they are still working on a bug relating to the tournament routers but the team have decided to push the tournament live. It is being activated in P2P while they are fixing the routers, until the routers are enabled, red NAT players will be unable to join.

Report any bugs you find in tournament, remember that this is still in beta state and they have been up front about that from the outset.

On the for honour page, in the player stats section they have added worldwide leaderboards for ranked.

Champion status is halfprice from 31st to 7th (>.> I have enough steel to get a year worth, so since I get it every week I'll be nabbing it and saving any other for Shiny Stuff (tm)).

For Honor are doing a 4v4 dominion tournament on all platforms battlefy.com/for-honor

They pushed Pax,they have a panal there.on Monday, 2:30pm pacific , this will be on twitch.

They have a community workshop next week.

They won't have a full Den next week, they will replay the Pax Panel after news, I will likely cover Pax then so it is in one thread.

Content of the week,smoke effect.

Faction War update.

Knights won the first round, they showed the current percentages of faction players which the free weekend had some effect on, last week's numbers were 42% samurai 34% knights 24% vikings,according to yesterday's numbers it is more 36% 36% 28%.

They aren't ready to talk about it yet but apparently Bio and Damien have some work going on faction war for the future.

War banner had a big impact, apparently manual deploys went up 15%,knights benefited most from that, vikings still manually deploy most without the banner after each fight, samurai are slacking as the vikings did early on last season. A lot of knights stick their banner on the volcano.

They gave an answer over questions as to why xp is not the same over each game mode, they balance it so that it is roughly equal xp over hours played.

Q&A

Time snap,still a big thing in comments. They removed timesnap for a lot of reasons, not next Den but one soon they are going to go into timesnap in detail over what it was,why it needed to be removed and what they still need to improve.

They are looking at the kits of the vanilla heroes like conqueror and orochi, no firm details to share yet. in answer to a question on this Roman said 'Remember we said we are working on the Conqueror, Orochi etc (...) So yes we are working on kits, they take more time, like that question was asking, it is true it is not just about numbers and adjusting some properties and timing,that is why we haven't yet released improvements or modification on those characters,we need to reshoot animation, that kind of stuff,so that is coming but it is going to take some time.Especially since currently that team is hard at work not only on DLC characters but on improvements on the fight system and we want to finish that before going full force into rebalancing or reworks of characters because we are adjusting stuff.'

A question was asked over why there is a slowdown on buffs and nerfs, part of this is because they are trying to change the fight system and want to get that out. They are still doing balance patches, just slightly less right now.

Are assassins (and sometimes non assassins) supposed to be able to parry Highlander's unblockable after a kick or cabar toss? No,it will be fixed, assassins do have quicker parries with reflex guard but things will be looked at.

Setting AI bot levels for multiplayer, AI bots in AI are based on PVP skill level, it is an issue they know since players that only play PvAI will not face level three bots, working on it.

Why is duel ranked in tournament mode? They wanted to do things a little differently to regular matchmaking, they think it adds a lot to the experience. In the public test there was longer matchmaking and sometimes you had to wait because a player left, they have made some improvements on that.

Someone asked if they could have chat at all by default, you can set that in options, they want to keep it the way it is so that players opt in to having chat at all as opposed to having to change something to avoid toxicity.

Orochi armour in chainmail? That was pre-production model, that model, even if it is still somewhere, wouldn't work with the actual character as it is now.

Centurion question with 'fun' and 'everyone says' as the main subject of the question. Clearly they are not balancing it because he is Roman's favourite [/Romansarc], clearly they haven't touched him or fixed bugs at all ever [/straightfireRomansarc]. They are looking at him, they are improving things and fixing issues, pure win/loss he is not anomaly compared to others. They made a point that he is current FOTM, players are dying a lot with him, he has a strong combo but not everyone can pull it off. The main issue with him is he is frustrating to face in duel and 4v4 and they are looking at that and will be making changes down the line but they are not going to do something to break him or his play style just to Nerf Him Now,they are not denying he is top tier or near it but he is not massively OP. The biggest issue as they see it is the crowd control and duration of it and they will be looking at that. They compared it to revenge, how there were people shouting it was too overpowered, as soon as it was nerfed there were another bunch of people raging because it wasn't what they wanted,it is more balanced now and they are looking to this over time with the Centurion.- This was a very involved answer, here is the link to listen to it in full https://youtu.be/SQ3UU5U6SeU?t=2225

Update on region locks in South Africa, they are quite close to a solution there, there will be news closer to the time.

Highlander question, does he really need to have the delay he has going into offensive stance? They don't want to reduce the time between forms, they do want a smooth transition between forms but they also want a very definite warning to the opponents.This is not such an issue in duel, in 4v4 it very much would be an issue.If there is an argument to be made on buffing him, they would prefer to look at other things first.

Why do they hate conqueror? No they don't >.< It isn't a matter of changing numbers, he needs a deeper rework and that is something that is going to take time.

Tournament rewards,you need to stay in the tournament until it finishes, you get different rewards based on where you place.

Any plans on a more detailed roadmap for season three? There is a Thing (tm) they are working on now, they don't have it to share right this moment.

Community corner.

bmason1000
08-31-2017, 05:54 PM
YEAAAAAAH CANDLE! what up dude? Always super appreciative of this, my Thursday shifts always start at one so i read this opening salvo and check it all when i get out. You the real MVP.

CandleInTheDark
08-31-2017, 05:58 PM
The sky is up ;) And welcome, good to know that it does benefit people.

UbiInsulin
08-31-2017, 06:28 PM
Sorry for the late sticky today. Thank you Candle!

CandleInTheDark
08-31-2017, 06:36 PM
Sorry for the late sticky today. Thank you Candle!

That's ok, hey last three weeks I needed to put the Den up a day early because I might be late and last week I was, things happen lol.

Moondyne_MC
08-31-2017, 11:22 PM
So what was the important part? Ranked duels? Everything else looked pretty standard..

CandleInTheDark
08-31-2017, 11:30 PM
So what was the important part? Ranked duels? Everything else looked pretty standard..

I assume it was ranked,people have been pestering on reddit worse than they have here and Eric does the same kind of thing Noty and Jurassic do here.

bmason1000
08-31-2017, 11:46 PM
Peopke have been shouting about ranked mode so much on reddit and people were so upset the previous test was pc only and now I'm home to give it a go and there's low activity. Really guys? Really?

Vakris_One
09-01-2017, 03:09 AM
Thanks for yet another great write up Candle. The Roman sarcasm factor did not dissapoint this week. I love that cheeky b*****d! :D

One thing that really struck a cord with me was when Roman said, [b]"I wish all the characters were as effective as the Centurion."[b] And that point I though, "Yes! This man gets it. He understands what is happening in his game." It was a really encouraging thing to hear in my opinion because it implies that they might actually be serious about making all the characters effective and competitive, rather than being content with the fact that over half of their roster is in the dumpster when it comes to competitive level play.

First and foremost they have to address the turtle meta though so that we can finally move on! And then the real meaty character by character balancing can finally be started, hopefully before they release the Season 4 heroes. I mean the Kensei is so unviable right now in ranked duel that it is just beyond sad for me personally as a Kensei main since the beta. There is literally no other character in the game where the player has to put in double, no, triple the effort of his opponents' characters just to attempt to match them. It's disgraceful.

I wish the Kensei was as effective as the Highlander. And that's not even asking for all that much seeing as how the Highlander is mid tier at best. However the key thing is that Highlander is more fun to play because he at least has a fighting chance by being able to go straight into his mixups via either Celtic Curse, a punish (such as parry or crushing counter) or simply gaining distance to switch into offensive stance and then play around with his OF heavy/kick/Caber toss/OF light feint mixup game. The Kensei has no way of getting into his mixup game other than from a parry punish. Every single kind of aggressive move he can make is pure parry bait for semi-experienced players whereby you're basically handing them a free punish on you.

I really hope we don't have to wait until Season 4 for something to be done about the Kensei cos the ranked duel mode is really putting a severe emphassis on how truly obsolete the Kensei is right now. It's like he's not even from the same game anymore when you put him next to any of the DLC characters or the ones that have remained viable such as the PK, Warden, Warlord, Raider, Lawbringer.

bmason1000
09-01-2017, 03:53 AM
... three of the five tournament losses I've had has been against a kensei...i guess I'm worse than i thought haha

bmason1000
09-01-2017, 03:55 AM
Correction, 3 out of 7.

matt89connor
09-01-2017, 07:34 AM
another warrior's den with no very important news...ok i hope for the next,

CandleInTheDark
09-01-2017, 12:23 PM
Thanks for yet another great write up Candle. The Roman sarcasm factor did not dissapoint this week. I love that cheeky b*****d! :D

One thing that really struck a cord with me was when Roman said, [b]"I wish all the characters were as effective as the Centurion."[b] And that point I though, "Yes! This man gets it. He understands what is happening in his game." It was a really encouraging thing to hear in my opinion because it implies that they might actually be serious about making all the characters effective and competitive, rather than being content with the fact that over half of their roster is in the dumpster when it comes to competitive level play.

First and foremost they have to address the turtle meta though so that we can finally move on! And then the real meaty character by character balancing can finally be started, hopefully before they release the Season 4 heroes. I mean the Kensei is so unviable right now in ranked duel that it is just beyond sad for me personally as a Kensei main since the beta. There is literally no other character in the game where the player has to put in double, no, triple the effort of his opponents' characters just to attempt to match them. It's disgraceful.

I wish the Kensei was as effective as the Highlander. And that's not even asking for all that much seeing as how the Highlander is mid tier at best. However the key thing is that Highlander is more fun to play because he at least has a fighting chance by being able to go straight into his mixups via either Celtic Curse, a punish (such as parry or crushing counter) or simply gaining distance to switch into offensive stance and then play around with his OF heavy/kick/Caber toss/OF light feint mixup game. The Kensei has no way of getting into his mixup game other than from a parry punish. Every single kind of aggressive move he can make is pure parry bait for semi-experienced players whereby you're basically handing them a free punish on you.

I really hope we don't have to wait until Season 4 for something to be done about the Kensei cos the ranked duel mode is really putting a severe emphassis on how truly obsolete the Kensei is right now. It's like he's not even from the same game anymore when you put him next to any of the DLC characters or the ones that have remained viable such as the PK, Warden, Warlord, Raider, Lawbringer.

Very welcome, and yeah Roman's sarcasm was amazing lol, I was all woah guy is on fire.

I very much agree,while early nerfs were necessary and I still think that some characters could use reworking, I think it is by far a better idea to buff other characters towards the level the top tier characters are at. The problem is that every time a lower tier character gets a buff, there is a part of the community that lose their heads and start calling op, I bet if the Kensei ever became as effective as even the Highlander, there would be five to ten posts on the first three pages calling for Kensei nerfs within a week. There is also a smaller subsection that like to claim hipster status of 'I main this trash tier character because they are cool'(not all mains of such characters I know) and would feel that to be under threat.

Ideally I would like it to wind up in a state where there are no top or bottom tiers, just a case of good matchups and bad as will happen in any fighting game that characters have different strengths and weaknesses, which if Ubisoft add a spectate feature to tournaments,which I feel they need to look at as your options between matches currently are trashtalk (easier on pc than console), mess around in customisation or read a book, that would add an interesting dynamic. Say in the group stages I know a player plays berserker, I don't like that matchup for my peacekeeper, so I'd bring out my conqueror, of course if we meet in the knockouts, I would have to decide if I am going to do that again or anticipate him pulling out a pocket conqueror killer.

... three of the five tournament losses I've had has been against a kensei...i guess I'm worse than i thought haha

Kensei is my worst matchup as well, I can't wait for him to get buffed so I can feel less bad about it :p

bmason1000
09-01-2017, 06:58 PM
So around the 28 minute mark a question gets asked about expanding old heroes movesets and roman confirms they are in fact shooting new animations to do so instead of just tweaking numbers. How are we not talking about this? That's huge.

CandleInTheDark
09-01-2017, 07:09 PM
So around the 28 minute mark a question gets asked about expanding old heroes movesets and roman confirms they are in fact shooting new animations to do so instead of just tweaking numbers. How are we not talking about this? That's huge.

Ah dangit, I am always typing and listening at the same time, apparently that slipped by lol.

I listened to that segment again, here is what Roman had to say when asked if there were plans to look at reworking some characters as while changing numbers will balance characters they won't change that characters like the conqueror and orochi are one dimensional.

Remember we said we are working on the Conqueror, Orochi etc (...) So yes we are working on kits, they take more time, like that question was asking, it is true it is not just about numbers and adjusting some properties and timing,that is why we haven't yet released improvements or modification on those characters,we need to reshoot animation, that kind of stuff,so that is coming but it is going to take some time.Especially since currently that team is hard at work not only on DLC characters but on improvements on the fight system and we want to finish that before going full force into rebalancing or reworks of characters because we are adjusting stuff.

bmason1000
09-01-2017, 10:08 PM
And that's awesome. Yes, it can't happen right now, i get that, but part of that answer was "that is coming," and i think that's an incredible thing to confirm. Sure, might be a year two thing if we make it that far but the fact he didn't outright say "no, never, not gonna happen" but basically said "yes" is very cool.

CandleInTheDark
09-01-2017, 10:30 PM
And that's awesome. Yes, it can't happen right now, i get that, but part of that answer was "that is coming," and i think that's an incredible thing to confirm. Sure, might be a year two thing if we make it that far but the fact he didn't outright say "no, never, not gonna happen" but basically said "yes" is very cool.

Oh yeah certainly if they plan to do that it will be awesome, some OG characters I think can stand with the dlc ones but they said it themselves that they have learned more and learned how to do things better as time has gone on and some of the characters that were built to be purely reactive rather than having some fancy flavour moves suffer some.

mryupjup1
09-02-2017, 01:14 AM
Kensei buffs when? He got another nerf, has no openers, all his openers are **** or are extremely risky compared to other classes, runs slow, short throwing range, low health for his lore or vanguard position, range is **** in this game and his ranged attacks are slow, easy to parry because all his fast attacks come from one side, no answer to defensive play and heavies to slow for the defensive meta fix to have an effect with chip damage. He just needs an opener so he can use his extemely cool kit, to force characters to be offensive so he can be too. He has nothing right now and everything that would buff him in the next patch would buff other characters more while the nerfs in the coming patch hurt him harder than anyone else.

bmason1000
09-02-2017, 05:25 AM
What buffs/nerfs in the coming patch do you mean?

CandleInTheDark
09-02-2017, 09:22 AM
What buffs/nerfs in the coming patch do you mean?

I am pretty sure he means the unlock tech and honestly if anyone relies on that then I have zero sympathy for them losing it.

Vakris_One
09-02-2017, 04:18 PM
Kensei has not gotten a nerf with the new patch. They fixed a bug that allowed him to spin around really quickly while striking and they patched an unlock exploit for his helm splitter. Fixing exploits is not nerfing him. If you were relying on his helm splitter exploit to use him effectively then you weren't really a good Kensei player in the first place, you were simply cheating.

PDXGorechild
09-05-2017, 02:35 PM

You're a Zerker main, right? I suffer against Kensei too. They seem to be a strong counter to our class if they know what they're doing. Great range, high damage, and great feint game if they know how. I've often been hacked apart in a few hits by Kensei before managing to get in range to land a hit.

I see quotes like this..

Kensei has no way of getting into his mixup game other than from a parry punish. There is literally no other character in the game where the player has to put in double, no, triple the effort of his opponents' characters just to attempt to match them. It's disgraceful.

and lol. I've been feeling this pain since beta as Berserker. Small moveset, no openers, low health. Learn to feint and hit and run with light attacks or you'll never beat anything other than another assassin. But seeing as barely anyone seems to play Berserker, even less mention how difficult and frustrating they are to play well on the forums, nobody seems to pay any notice.

Vakris_One
09-05-2017, 06:08 PM
You're a Zerker main, right? I suffer against Kensei too. They seem to be a strong counter to our class if they know what they're doing. Great range, high damage, and great feint game if they know how. I've often been hacked apart in a few hits by Kensei before managing to get in range to land a hit.

I see quotes like this..

and lol. I've been feeling this pain since beta as Berserker. Small moveset, no openers, low health. Learn to feint and hit and run with light attacks or you'll never beat anything other than another assassin. But seeing as barely anyone seems to play Berserker, even less mention how difficult and frustrating they are to play well on the forums, nobody seems to pay any notice.
Ironically enough I found Berserker to be one of my worst match ups as a Kensei for a long time because of his feint game and the way he can whiff into his uninterruptibles, which is a strong counter to the Kensei's dodge strike. I run into a steady supply of Zerkers on PC, which was very annoying until I finally learned to stand my ground and perfect my counter GB game which seems to shut most of them down with only the occasional really good Zerker being able to dismantle me.

In many ways I guess that both classes are similarly hard done by by the fact that they have no openers and a very limited use move set.

PDXGorechild
09-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Ironically enough I found Berserker to be one of my worst match ups as a Kensei for a long time because of his feint game and the way he can whiff into his uninterruptibles, which is a strong counter to the Kensei's dodge strike. I run into a steady supply of Zerkers on PC, which was very annoying until I finally learned to stand my ground and perfect my counter GB game which seems to shut most of them down with only the occasional really good Zerker being able to dismantle me.

In many ways I guess that both classes are similarly hard done by by the fact that they have no openers and a very limited use move set.

With hindsight I think that this may be down to the skill levels of individual players. I find on PS4 playing against other Berserkers or Kensei or Shugoki or any of the lesser played that I either tear the player a new one (It's a noob or experienced player just trying to class out) or they'll give me a serious amount of trouble. The latter being because they're determined players who have stuck to the class despite them being generally weak class but doing amazing things with them anyway.

Ah, Guardbreak. I tend to avoid using it too much as I think it's cheesy, only for the odd wall throw.. praps that's where i'm going wrong with Kensei... :rolleyes: