PDA

View Full Version : How do you counter guard break????

ryce995
08-28-2017, 11:55 PM
This is the most frustrating thing I've ever attempted playing video games. It has a 99% fail rate. Why did they even put it in the game? I'll try to guard break someone at the same time they try to do it to me but they press it first so you'd think it would counter it if I'm pressing the **** out of the button but no cuz it doesn't work. Then I always get those games where ppl just spam it and there's literally nothing you can do. I've just about had enough of this game.

Moondyne_MC
08-29-2017, 12:02 AM
In the early stages of playing it feels like there's no way you'll ever have the reaction timing to ever get CGB's in the heat of battle, but I promise you one day it'll just click and you'll be doing it with a respectable success rate.

There are various situations in which you can't CGB an enemy. The most common are:

1. When you've been GB'd during a dodge
2. When you've been GB'd after being parried
3. When you've been GB'd during the initial startup of a heavy attack

A lot of it is being able to expect the GB. Get used to standing your ground and reacting, rather than dodging around befor the opponent does anything, as this is asking to get GB'd.

Lastly, just practice the advanced tutorial section covering CGB over and over to get the timing down.

Kelson27
08-29-2017, 12:21 AM
I 100% feel your pain, especially given the consequence of not countering near hazards - that's a way to easy victory. The problem when first starting up is that parry comes across quite natural, where as CGB is completely foreign timing. Parry you could figure out on your own, but CGB, without the tutorials you wouldn't have the slimmest chance of figuring out, yet it can be an instant win. I still can't fathom that my gigantic raider simply gets pushed and can't do anything to help himself take slow steps to his own death. Definitely frustrating.

UbiJurassic
08-29-2017, 12:41 AM
If you haven't already, try playing the advanced tutorial. In it, you'll eventually be taught how to counter-guardbreak and then put against an enemy who will constantly attempt to guardbreak you. You can stay at this part of the tutorial as long as you'd like. :)

We.the.North
08-29-2017, 12:49 AM
Or wait patiently for Ubisoft to finish their controller button remapping mod and add "push right stick" as another input for guardbreak.

I swear, that little fraction of second I spend moving my finger from the right stick to the guard break button makes me fail 99% of the time.

AnEnticingSquid
08-29-2017, 12:59 AM
Oh god... I remember when I started playing. I hated guard break so much! But you'll appreciate this mechanic as you get better at the game. It will become a vital tool to disrupt your opponents momentum (even if they cgb) and will help you as many times as it will hurt you. Like its been said above, start to anticipate gbs. If there is a slow point where you and your opponent are just staring at each other, expect a gb. It gets pretty easy to anticipate them and they become trivial to counter. As for map hazards, be careful not to place yourself between the enemy and a 1000 foot drop... Always avoid ledges, fires, spikes, and gysers. Or better yet, get your enemy stuck between you and the random spikes on the wall. That way they are the ones spamming "wow!". Finally, if you do get ledged, blame yourself for not being aware of your surroundings instead of the game for having hazards in it. Why? Because it's easier to change yourself than it is to change the game!

Kaijudub
08-29-2017, 01:14 AM
Or wait patiently for Ubisoft to finish their controller button remapping mod and add "push right stick" as another input for guardbreak.

I swear, that little fraction of second I spend moving my finger from the right stick to the guard break button makes me fail 99% of the time.

You may think it's a good idea but as someone who's tried this I can tell you the amount of random gb whiffs you do because you accidently press the stick in when moving is beyond annoying.... Especially when things get sweaty.

kweassa1
08-29-2017, 01:17 AM
It's like learning to walk. It just comes naturally with experience.