PDA

View Full Version : Gladiator is the best character in the game... And I'll tell you why.

AnEnticingSquid
08-27-2017, 06:31 PM
I don't mean that he is the most powerful, I mean he is the best designed. I believe this because of 3 reasons:

1. You have to get creative to win. You can't win with him if you don't feint.

-His first light is 500 ms, which is fast enough to catch many people off guard for some easy damage. But his second light is 600 ms, so not only is your opponent expecting a followup, it is 33% slower as well. Almost everybody I fight, even low level players will parry his second light.

-His skewer is also very easy to parry so you have to treat it like raiders zone. It is a mind game. I usually cancel it at least 3 times before even considering following through with it. It does high damage but is high risk.

-His toe stab is the most useful attack in the game. It may not do much damage, but it is extremely annoying (which triggers your opponent and makes them do very foolish things out of pure rage), it can take people right out of attack animations (my favorite example of this is catching Orochi's riptide strike right before it lands for some massive salt) but this is difficult to do and will cost you dearly if you less it up, and best of all, when you are low on stamina, you can end your barrage and set the fight back to neutral.

- His punches are not extremely useful imo because they are a gimmick. Most people can react to your attacks regardless but it does have it's uses. ( the biggest drawback is that you can't catch a back dodging opponent because instead of dodge gb, you will dodge punch which will miss your or opponent. So if someone is oos, all they need to do is block high and back dodge.). And best of all, HE GETS ZERO CONFIRMED DAMAGE. No attack should give you confirmed damage. I think this is an extremely problematic mechanic that should be rectified.

2. His entire kit is useful. Yes, indeed, you need his entire kit to win I would argue. Compare that to Orochi for example. There is only 2 feasible attacks you can do and while they are both effective enough to make him formidable, he is utterly devoid of fun both to play, and fight.

3. He is forgiving to new players. He may have a lot of mixups, but the fact that he runs out of stamina fairly quickly and has low health and reflex guard, makes him at least tolerable to fight against. Now doubt, if you are new you will most likely lose to him, but you will probably get some damage and get close at least once in 3 rounds. Compare that to centurian. Imagine if you just picked up the game, got into a duel, and fought a cent. You probably wouldn't want to touch it again because it would seem impossible. He has endless stamina, endless unblockables, and if you actually manage to get a swing off, it would be immediately repelled and most likely cost you the game. Nobody would ever want to learn to play the game if that was who they were facing.

He is an easy character to learn, no doubt. And I'm not saying every character should be as easy to play as he is, but every character should have attacks similar to His. I.E. diminishing returns on light spams, strong attacks that are high risk, NO CONFIRMED DAMAGE (I know he does have it, and I am opposed to it), no cheap moves or 50/50s, and best of all: big, but manageable weaknesses. Give other characters the same treatment and this game would be far better in my opinion.

What are you guys thoughts on this? Am I right? Wrong? A Neanderthal who doesn't even know the basics of the game? I would like to know. Just remember to be nice... It is after all, part of the forum rules...

bmason1000
08-27-2017, 06:43 PM
That all seems very logical and convincing. I'm with ya on the confirmed damage is crap. It's such an irritating concept.

UbiNoty
08-28-2017, 01:17 AM
Just remember to be nice... It is after all, part of the forum rules...

:)

Thanks for the feedback though! I'm sure you already know where it's going though right?

IMMA_MAILGEYMER
08-28-2017, 01:53 AM
Evey character should be on gladiator's level, playing against one makes the fight much more faster paced and doesn't make you want to cut yourself from boredom, also i feel that we finally have a character that can match a warlord. Fast lights and little unblockable attacks should be the standard, heroes with 600ms lights, no UBs and terrible recovery frames in general are crippled from the start and forever. But now i'm going off topic. I think that overall players are "ok" with gladiator, i don't hear any "OMG OP PLS NERF" anywhere when somebody mentions him. Highlander on the other hand tho...i always wonder why he's so poorly tested and fart out in such a pitiful state.

Mia.Nora
08-28-2017, 02:22 AM
I agree Gladiator is in my opinion the most balanced character (apart from a few minor fix requires) to play as and vs.

Mainly what I love about him is that he has absolutely no confirmed damage. Any follow up to his unblockable melees can not only be defended against but even punished. That should be the case with everyone.

Also I love how everything in his kit works, unlike oroichi who has a long page of moves with absolutely nothing viable in there.

SenBotsu893
08-28-2017, 02:41 AM
I agree Gladiator is in my opinion the most balanced character (apart from a few minor fix requires) to play as and vs.

Mainly what I love about him is that he has absolutely no confirmed damage. Any follow up to his unblockable melees can not only be defended against but even punished. That should be the case with everyone.

Also I love how everything in his kit works, unlike oroichi who has a long page of moves with absolutely nothing viable in there.

hey dont forget his zone attack now guys. that is confirmed damage after the ub hit.
and im not a fan of the Toestab either. an damagedealing unblockable unparieble attack seems a bit cheap.

but yes overall its much more bareable in comparison to something like the centurion cheese.

AnEnticingSquid
08-28-2017, 03:42 AM
:)

Thanks for the feedback though! I'm sure you already know where it's going though right?

Yep... Right down the toilet with the rest of them XD. Only joking... I hope daddy likes my idea...