PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, old topic, i know, but...

Bewolf
03-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Ok guys...bringing up the good ole padlock debate.

I am well aware of all the disputes, rants, flames, discussions yadda yadda about this topic, but i can't help myself here.

The following strikes me. As you all know, most servers on hyperlobby either have full real settings or outside view enabled. I hardly see a server with full real and padlock, though those pop up ocassionally. I just heared the argument of outside views..."no problem! but go away with padlock."

Is it just me, or did this padlock thing go way out of proportion emotion wise? I feel, you just have to mention padlock, and half the ppl go wild either way. As if it is a bad word, kinda like "propaganda". The argument that outside view is only used by noobs and disturbs SA more then not using it...what the hell..?

Ok....maybe i am dumb, but as far as i know, outside view "always" locks on enemy planes, never breaks and you can enable it as soon enemy planes come into propper range, no matter where.

Padlock breaks once enemy plane is obscured, you have to look into the direction of the plane to padlock it and last but not least, if icons are out, it tracks every plane..so you first have to identify.

I still have to find a server with no icons, no outside view, historical scenario settings and padlock enabled. VEF1 was the perfect place to fly back then but those times are long go.

And all those Track IR/HOTAS users..go away http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bewolf

Never discuss with stupid people.
They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bewolf
03-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Ok guys...bringing up the good ole padlock debate.

I am well aware of all the disputes, rants, flames, discussions yadda yadda about this topic, but i can't help myself here.

The following strikes me. As you all know, most servers on hyperlobby either have full real settings or outside view enabled. I hardly see a server with full real and padlock, though those pop up ocassionally. I just heared the argument of outside views..."no problem! but go away with padlock."

Is it just me, or did this padlock thing go way out of proportion emotion wise? I feel, you just have to mention padlock, and half the ppl go wild either way. As if it is a bad word, kinda like "propaganda". The argument that outside view is only used by noobs and disturbs SA more then not using it...what the hell..?

Ok....maybe i am dumb, but as far as i know, outside view "always" locks on enemy planes, never breaks and you can enable it as soon enemy planes come into propper range, no matter where.

Padlock breaks once enemy plane is obscured, you have to look into the direction of the plane to padlock it and last but not least, if icons are out, it tracks every plane..so you first have to identify.

I still have to find a server with no icons, no outside view, historical scenario settings and padlock enabled. VEF1 was the perfect place to fly back then but those times are long go.

And all those Track IR/HOTAS users..go away http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bewolf

Chuck_Older
03-26-2004, 10:22 AM
I am torn about padlock.

One reason I like it is that I can't move my virtual head, so in a way it makes up for that a little, like for instance if an a/c is behind the canopy bracing in a '109. Well, in real life, I'd move my head a wee bit. With padlock, it will track even though the canopy brace is there.

The downside is that you can use it as if it were a computer tracking and targetting feature (which it is, really) that these planes couldn't have had.

With icons on, it makes it too easy I think-only tracks an enemy. With icons off, you could be tracking a friend, so I don't mind that.

I think padlock has it's uses. In real life, I'd move my head to follow an anemy or bogey, and look back at the instruments ocassionally. With padlock, it simulates that, so what's the problem? Abuse of the tracking feature is the problem I guess- it automatically detects, too.

Wave bub-bub-bub-bye to the boss, it's your profit, it's his loss~ Clash

Bewolf
03-26-2004, 10:46 AM
About the canopy frame..padlock brakes after just a few secs there. Unrealistic, as in real life you just had to bend your head a bit to track again. If a plane is behind you, padlock brakes as well, though you still see it. makes no sense as well.
Same applies with clouds or enemy plane dissaperaing below you...padlock only tracks it a few more seconds...and this makes sense imho, as you and your brain usually are able to compute the path of a plane for a bit as well.

The only thing that comes to my mind speaking against padlock is the aquiring...though it is already not that easy, as padlock does not distinguish between friend and foe (icons off, my fav setting) and you still have to look in the enemies direction, that argument is valid. But this can be easliy overcome by reducing the locking distance, which is possible via setup.

Nobody can tell me that locking a plane just one click away is still cheating.

Why this is so important to me? Because i have no track IR, no hotas control, and i hate not to be able to to use gas or trim or flaps because i have to use my free hand to track a plane and those views inside the game only allows 45 degrees turns...those alone are responsible for loosing sight of a bandit 50 percent of the time.

Bewolf

georgeo76
03-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Must we go about this ad infinitum? http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif Besides, we all know that speedbar is the real cheat.http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/35.gif

TacticalSkirmsh
03-26-2004, 11:13 AM
I agree completely Bewolf. If one wishes to have no externals (like me) but want to encourage harder/more immersive gameplay I can understand not allowing padlock. But, if externals are on what not permit them?

ForgottenServer does have cockpit only with icons and padlock by the way. Usually a great server when I have dropped in for a little bit of DF madness.

With regards to padlock, I have recently re-mapped my joystick without padlock and snap forward view. While I may occasionally use it (since others in our squad like it), I personally found your SA/FOV is very limited. Overuse of this feature means bandits have a much easier time in getting on your six.

Also, with wide view, for instance, I can not only assess the situation at hand, and check for bandits creeping up behind me, but have better ability to perform appropriate tactics when attacking. Padlock gave me "tunnel vision" since I had the tendency to leave it all way too much.

Regards

"Speed is life." (Israeli Tactics Manual)

:FI:TacticalS!