PDA

View Full Version : Return of Sessions?

Steinhauzer
08-26-2017, 03:34 PM
https://preview.ibb.co/b4HhE5/Anno1800.png (https://ibb.co/jeWW7Q)

The Key Features panel on the official site proclaims the return of the "classic Anno multiplayer experience", something that was notably missing in the latest instalment, 2205.
That, as well as the other items on that list are all staples of Anno that I'm very glad to see returning, with one big exception; sessions.

Now, multi-session gameplay has potential, but the price to be paid for its inclusion is heavy. Which is why I'm surprised to see it listed shortly after multiplayer, one of the things that tragically had to be omitted because of it. In my opinion, sessions make the game world feel disjointed and disrupts the gameplay with repeated and often quite long loading times. The sense of immersion also suffers, but I'm nevertheless intrigued to see it included. They've had some time to experiment with the system, so I'm anxious to see how they've adapted it to work within the "classic" Anno experience.
What are your thoughts? Should the system return at all, and how might it work with multiplayer?

Com-mu-nism
08-26-2017, 05:52 PM
https://preview.ibb.co/b4HhE5/Anno1800.png (https://ibb.co/jeWW7Q)

The Key Features panel on the official site proclaims the return of the "classic Anno multiplayer experience", something that was notably missing in the latest instalment, 2205.
That, as well as the other items on that list are all staples of Anno that I'm very glad to see returning, with one big exception; sessions.

Now, multi-session gameplay has potential, but the price to be paid for its inclusion is heavy. Which is why I'm surprised to see it listed shortly after multiplayer, one of the things that tragically had to be omitted because of it. In my opinion, sessions make the game world feel disjointed and disrupts the gameplay with repeated and often quite long loading times. The sense of immersion also suffers, but I'm nevertheless intrigued to see it included. They've had some time to experiment with the system, so I'm anxious to see how they've adapted it to work within the "classic" Anno experience.
What are your thoughts? Should the system return at all, and how might it work with multiplayer?

Howdey.

I don't see a problem imminently. They've already done a great job at getting multiple people to play online in a session in older Anno's, although it's tragic because of possible internet issues that some random online players have, an out of sync error would throw me off guard.

Steinhauzer
08-26-2017, 07:04 PM
As you say they've handled multiplayer quite well in the past, but that's not what I'm referring to.
When I say multi-session, I'm referencing the new gameplay system added in 2205 where each climate zone is a different sector containing a handful of maps with one large island each, all of which are separated by loading screens. While I can imagine a multiplayer system built around this, there are some issues as they themselves have stated, particularly in regards to combat.
Also, more loading times means more opportunities for the dreaded desync, which was already an issue when everyone only needed to load the map when entering the game or saving.

Com-mu-nism
08-26-2017, 09:07 PM
As you say they've handled multiplayer quite well in the past, but that's not what I'm referring to.
When I say multi-session, I'm referencing the new gameplay system added in 2205 where each climate zone is a different sector containing a handful of maps with one large island each, all of which are separated by loading screens. While I can imagine a multiplayer system built around this, there are some issues as they themselves have stated, particularly in regards to combat.
Also, more loading times means more opportunities for the dreaded desync, which was already an issue when everyone only needed to load the map when entering the game or saving.

Yeah good point bud.

Now thinking about what you said it gives me a bit of an headache now thinking about it with the sector multi region thought. Perhaps it's without a foundation though in those terms, they might do it like "Loading it all at once but syncing when transition from region one to two" or... well, I have no idea.

It sounds tragic but at the same time like a good basis to build on, i'm excited for what they're going to pull off. I'm afraid regardless, I hope it is going to be a server sided sync so other users don't act as hosts. I hope only for the best in this regard.

How would you make it work with a "multi-session" multiplayer? Perhaps we can follow their thought by somehow brainstorming our way there.

Steinhauzer
08-27-2017, 12:21 PM
I have some ideas, but it seems like these questions have already been answered elsewhere.

As usual with Anno, all the info is on the german forums, specifically on this site: https://www.annothek.net/wbb4/index.php/Board/225-Anno-1800-f%C3%BChre-die-Industrielle-Revolution-an/?adb4c96b.

It's all in german, obviously, but from what google translate could tell me it seems like one "session" will include everything you need to play. So other sessions are likely a singleplayer-only feature, perhaps part of the campaign?