PDA

View Full Version : Patrice Desilets reveals new tidbits about his time with AC

SixKeys
08-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Some interesting stuff here....

The video is in French, Patrice talks about a lot of stuff including his new Ancestors game, but also very candidly about his time on AC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3f7Yuucv6g&feature=youtu.be

Copypasted from http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423508 :

- AC 2 is Désilet's masterpiece to this day in his opinion and he's very proud and nostalgic of it.

- He never approved of AC's annualization, saying it "physically hurt him" when they started to do it with Brotherhood. He doesn't even want to talk about it.

- He mentions AC Origins and says it's the perfect proof as people are much more excited about it since it's been 2 years since the last game.

- About Lucy: Kristen Bell asked for royalties on the franchise, so Désilets single handedly decided to kill off Lucy without even telling Bell.

- He says AC is at its core, a science-fiction franchise, not a historical one. And anyone who says otherwise is wrong. He also thinks they didn't handle modern-day well enough to be compelling to all players, but still says it's very wrong to put it to the sideline.

-He doesn't think much of the movie.

-He thinks story-telling in video games is inadequate for the medium and now favors "player made narrative". He mentions Breath Of The Wild as the perfect example.

---

Do we have any French members who might be able to translate more from the video?

dxsxhxcx
08-26-2017, 01:29 PM
- He says AC is at its core, a science-fiction franchise, not a historical one. And anyone who says otherwise is wrong. He also thinks they didn't handle modern-day well enough to be compelling to all players, but still says it's very wrong to put it to the sideline

:rolleyes:

strigoi1958
08-26-2017, 01:46 PM
Perhaps he'd like to enlighten the world with the exact span of time between game releases that ensures perfection. :) I find it laughable when people talk about time.

dxsxhxcx
08-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Perhaps he'd like to enlighten the world with the exact span of time between game releases that ensures perfection. :) I find it laughable when people talk about time.

It'll be done when it's done

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/674190114839506944

CD Projekt RED has already proved that they'll delay a game if they feel it needs to be delayed, can you say the same about Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed? I don't know about you but at this point I wouldn't put my hand on fire for them, what is a shame because I really see potential in this franchise and would love to see it thrive in more aspects than sales figures.

Yes, they took a year off now and that's very good, here's hoping it'll show in the game and if from now on they feel they need more than one year off to finish a game they'll take it.

Megas_Doux
08-26-2017, 06:51 PM
- About Lucy: Kristen Bell asked for royalties on the franchise, so Désilets single handedly decided to kill off Lucy without even telling Bell.

I knew it!!!!!!!

It was that or Bell not being interested anymore........

strigoi1958
08-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Exactly... and if it is perfect 6 months after the last game.... should they still wait another 18 months before releasing it? People cannot have it both ways.

So is it done when it is done or... only done when some fans consider it has spent enough time in development to be done? Should Ubi pretend to work on it after it is finished so some fans think it has had enough development time?

SixKeys
08-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Exactly... and if it is perfect 6 months after the last game.... should they still wait another 18 months before releasing it? People cannot have it both ways.

So is it done when it is done or... only done when some fans consider it has spent enough time in development to be done? Should Ubi pretend to work on it after it is finished so some fans think it has had enough development time?

Well, in Origins' case, considering the game is out in about 2 months and the animation and lip synch is way below what we've come to expect from the series, it clearly needs more work. People who have played the demos also have some concerns about the number of bugs they've encountered at this stage. Do you believe Ubi will push back the release date even if it turns out they won't have time to fix all the issues? 'Cause I don't.

dxsxhxcx
08-27-2017, 12:13 AM
Well, in Origins' case, considering the game is out in about 2 months and the animation and lip synch is way below what we've come to expect from the series, it clearly needs more work. People who have played the demos also have some concerns about the number of bugs they've encountered at this stage. Do you believe Ubi will push back the release date even if it turns out they won't have time to fix all the issues? 'Cause I don't.

This was the point I was trying to make..

strigoi1958
08-27-2017, 12:29 AM
And the demo was made that day of the show? or perhaps 4 months before? (so maybe it has had 6 months before release?) and if these are just the trivialities that people have to pick over... are they game breaking?
and if a year delay is favoured by fans surely a 5 year delay would make it the best game in the world....

Game companies have to do their best... and as I've said before... Ubisofts generosity with content in games is probably getting in the way... they are giving themselves too much to do by giving us.... too much to do. ;)

Ubi could increase the staff and risk a "too many cooks spoil the broth" situation or the could lose 30% of the content.... personally I think there are things we could lose or even delay them to be made as DLC ... but as some people tend to believe DLC is not extra but part of the original game held back for more profit, they'd be right on this occasion.

AC games have always had a lot and I like value for money but as I rarely buy DLC it should bother me if several missions were delayed and made into DLC so the team could concentrate on the animations that I ignore or skip where possible... but in reality it would not bother me at all.

People here hold CDProjekts failure to deliver on time... as a beacon to perfecting games but the witcher 3 launched with many glitches and bugs... AAA games are hugely complex and will always have problems.... once people accept that it makes it easier to put the little things in perspective. Anyone expecting perfection in these types of games will never be satisfied. Games could be delayed year after year until people are let go but as soon as the game is released people will find problems.

The perfect witcher 3 after a year delay

https://www.gottabemobile.com/witcher-3-problems/

Whenever people talk about demos (and cinematic trailers) and hold them up as an example, I wonder why? it's like licking the cake mix spoon and judging the cake that's in the oven....

People complain companies are secretive about games and I can see why..... sometime a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Let's wait until the game is out before we judge it.

Edit and if that is all that's wrong... do I want Ubi to delay my chance to play the game because some people with higher standards want it delayed.... NO... I say to them... don't buy it until after it has launched and if it still doesn't reach your standards wait until it's been patched after a few weeks and if it still isn't at your standard.... don't buy it. Me, at least my enjoyment will not be staved off because of others.

strigoi1958
08-27-2017, 11:12 AM
Personally I'd lose all cutscenes ;) but I'm wouldn't dream of imposing my own choices and standards on others..... but I thought of a way to make everyone happy and to save Ubi time and money and effort... Shoot all cutscenes from behind the person talking... that way...

there would be no need to lip sync in any language so it would save every scene being edited to match all the languages... video games (including AC already) do this to a certain amount so it wouldn't be difficult to do it completely.... they could still have people doing sneezes, yells, agonising screams, and "oh", "huh" "oooh" "ah" and any other noises, sounds that people make that do not need translating.

It would also be one less triviality to be nit picked ;)

https://media0.giphy.com/media/3o6wNLeB6UcfuZsqQg/giphy.gif

Paladinrja
08-29-2017, 06:25 AM
I think just about every fan of AC understood the series was a chic sci-fi. The most hardened fans wanted to see Ubisoft make it about the histories too; so that's what Ubisoft did.

I certainly enjoyed AC2:B, far more than AC2. It was a more polished AC2 imo. Sands of Time was a better game from hom than AC2, I think he's probably playing to the camera there, when he says AC2 was his masterpiece. Disagree on that.

BotW is an exceptional game. I think it's been a constant topic among devs all year. Though the completed game, doesn't seem like you're doing anything you haven't done before. Truth is there's a lot new, from the approach onwards.

Also.. I loved the movie. It was very well done. At least we know how the apple ended up in the Americas, in the first place. AC3 is one of my fav games. Perhaps not having an appearance from Shaun & Rebecca was a let down, but then they were part of Desmond Story. Not to mention having Carl in the movie laying down in a chair, would be a more boring Animus than the one in the movie. Yet while within the Animus, it's all history. The Sci-fi chic was what the modern day sequences was about. I think, Ubisoft will eventually get back to working that back in, in a new way. One more deserving of Sci-fi. AC3 did it well, a kind of nod to Another World. Not everyone's idea of what Sci-fi is but it's still cool.

Fav quote from the movie: "People no longer care about their civil liberties.They care about their standard of life. The modern world has outgrown notions like freedom. They're content to follow." ~ Because it's true.

cawatrooper9
08-29-2017, 09:51 PM
Haha, agreed that I kinda figured about the Lucy thing.

Looking forward to watching this though, I'm really curious what else he has to say