PDA

View Full Version : Need Highlander tips!

The_B0G_
08-25-2017, 01:49 PM
I recently switched my main to Highlander, I have about 4 hours played on him and I can do well with him but against skilled players I'm usually getting trashed.

Does anyone has any tips or mixups that are guarenteed? I've been getting better at trading and using hyper armor but good players just feint and dodge after I get them a few times.

S.J.Lannister
08-25-2017, 02:42 PM
I recently switched my main to Highlander, I have about 4 hours played on him and I can do well with him but against skilled players I'm usually getting trashed.

Does anyone has any tips or mixups that are guarenteed? I've been getting better at trading and using hyper armor but good players just feint and dodge after I get them a few times.

Yes,

Try to lure your enemy into wall. Then just try to parry any attack, next is jab, punch, jump attack, feint heavy, Guard Break, throw, jump attack, jab, punch, zone attack. Almost guaranteed.

You'll get 75% win rate in no time.

Oh I forgot that was Centurion ;) Other characters don't have guaranteed mixups :)

Hatred2016
08-25-2017, 02:59 PM
From what I have seen, the typical strategy for Highlander is to spam the unblockable until out of stamina and then spam Wow! in chat when you get wrecked, this strategy seems to work 100% of the time.

Tundra 793
08-25-2017, 03:14 PM
I'm still only Rep 3 with him, but my tactics are usually;

Celtic Curse is the opener. It's the only move you can deploy fast enough to get going, and of course going into an Offensive light, or heavy from there.
The kick is great if you can land it near walls, but otherwise just get used to feinting it into the grab.

Don't trade if you can avoid it, Highlander has low damage and low health, all things considered. I prefer being more aggressive than people would anticipate, doing enough damage with a variety of attacks fast enough to put enemies on the defensive.
And you gotta get really damn good at your Crushing Counter, that thing can turn any duel around in a second.

Just be aware of your mixups, get used to going from Celtic Curse straight into some Offensive moves, and be quick with your counters. The best advice I can give is to just remember the details of the Highlanders moveset, like his crushing counter, and fast flowing to offensive form.
Experience will do the rest.

T_Sesh
08-25-2017, 03:38 PM

Celtic curse is your main opener from a distance (the dash forward heavy that can be feinted in either direction) - its quick and difficult to react to, so it lands fairly often. From there you can immediately combo into offensive stance heavy, light, kick, or grab. If kick lands, then it guarantees an offensive heavy, same for the grab. Most people dodge the kick however, so you can OS heavy soft-feint into kick (soft feinted again to grab, if they still tend to dodge) to get the followup unblockable,

Highlander only gets a light on GB, but it follows into offensive stance pretty well into his mix-ups, but again, his only guaranteed damage is after a kick or caber toss (offensive grab) or wallsplat top heavy. You can also do a defensive light to defensive heavy that you then feint, crushing counter the incoming parry attempt and immediately flow into OS mixups. His parry punish is also only a light attack or zone if you feel like eating even more stamina.

I'd say highlander is pretty low tier, but otherwise pretty fun with the mixups. His combos are just slow to pull off, so in dominion your OS combos are likely to get interrupted by outside attackers, so best to stay in defensive stance and use the hyper armor on heavies to trade, and zone cancels while flicking between targets.

Tyrjo
08-25-2017, 03:54 PM
All I can say is: Don't throw out random heavy unblockables. It maybe works against beginners, but it won't work against any decent opponent. They will get parried and you will get punish hard. Also be wary about throwing out Celtic Curse cancels too predictably. They will also get parried against any decent opponent.

NPG_Opie
08-25-2017, 03:58 PM
I usually open with Celtic curse and immediately go into os, even if they block it, and kick. If the kick lands it's a free heavy and I can usually get the grab after which guarantees another heavy. This is great damage but takes up your stamina.

If that all goes well they are usually overwhelmed and dash back giving me time to recover stamina and Celtic curse again.

If you throw them against a wall that's a free defensive heavy. If you do a defensive top heavy this is the most damaging attack you have so always use it if given the chance.

And practice using hl "crushing counter" I use this the same way as Celtic curse. If I get the counter I usually go into os heavy then I'll fake the kick into a grab.

This is just my limited experience talking. Obviously there will be different scenarios where different things work but his mix-ups are quite good. Try not to get too aggressive and read your opponent for an opening to start a combo. Even if it's a short combo, you will come out on top usually.

NPG_Opie
08-25-2017, 04:03 PM
I should also add, for combos only use the first hit of Celtic curse. After the second swing you don't get the quick offensive switch.

Tyrjo
08-25-2017, 04:12 PM
If you throw them against a wall that's a free defensive heavy. If you do a defensive top heavy this is the most damaging attack you have so always use it if given the chance.

Are you sure the top does more damage? I was under the impression that heavies are all the same damage no matter which direction it comes from.

Alustar.
08-25-2017, 04:55 PM
An important thing to remembered about the Celtic Curse is the animation timing when canceling.
Anytime between the initial startup and the beginning of the down swing can be canceled. This will allow you to better play with parry timing.

NPG_Opie
08-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Are you sure the top does more damage? I was under the impression that heavies are all the same damage no matter which direction it comes from.

Yes, I've tested it in practice mode. The top defensive heavy does more damage than the other heavies

Tyrjo
08-25-2017, 06:23 PM
Yes, I've tested it in practice mode. The top defensive heavy does more damage than the other heavies

I also looked it up. You are correct. Top is 40, side is 30.

The_B0G_
08-30-2017, 05:17 AM
Alright so I've been using a lot of this advice and it has been working but does any have an answer for what to do about fast light spamming?

It seem to be Highlanders biggest weakness for me. His attacks don't do enough damage to even back spammers off when you do hit them, they just keep trading and usually win and these are assassin classes with low HP.

The_B0G_
08-30-2017, 05:19 AM
In my opinion the Highlander needs a damage buff.

Tyrjo
08-30-2017, 10:01 AM
Yes, this is a problem for him indeed. I personally think his damage is fine, but his HP is pitiful low, only 125. So no wonder you can't trade with an assassin.

The_B0G_
08-30-2017, 04:29 PM
Yes, this is a problem for him indeed. I personally think his damage is fine, but his HP is pitiful low, only 125. So no wonder you can't trade with an assassin.

Part of his play style is supposed to be trading hits too, seems like an imbalance since he can't even trade with assassins.

UbiNoty
08-31-2017, 12:46 AM
Kweassa1 (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1736684-(video)-This-is-my-ideal-of-a-Highlander-combat) recently put out a post that might be helpful to you :).

And we're aware that HL does feel a bit lacking, especially against assassins. Mostly I've seen that it's his slow speed that is the problem, but I'll ask out of curiosity since I've seen some points raised about his dmg/hp here - would a hp buff/dmg buff be enough to make him feel more strong without touching his speed?

The_B0G_
08-31-2017, 02:29 AM
Kweassa1 (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1736684-(video)-This-is-my-ideal-of-a-Highlander-combat) recently put out a post that might be helpful to you :).

And we're aware that HL does feel a bit lacking, especially against assassins. Mostly I've seen that it's his slow speed that is the problem, but I'll ask out of curiosity since I've seen some points raised about his dmg/hp here - would a hp buff/dmg buff be enough to make him feel more strong without touching his speed?

Kweassa1 is on PC though, the game isn't the same on console so I was kind of looking for other feedback.

I think more damage and health would help, but once assassins close the gap you basically can't do much against light spamming, his GB is so close range that it usually misses even when they are right in front of you.

His offensive stance lights seem fast enough to combat assassin light spamming but to get into offensive stance itself takes way too long to use them for that purpose. His dodge is about the same as lawbringers too which doesn't do much for making space between you.

His crushing counter is hard to get on console and I know thats probably the main answer in his moveset to combat light spamming, but out of 50+ matches on ps4 with higlanders in them I've only seen one who consistantly could punish people with that.

Last night Out of 10 games only 1 had a HL in it. It seems like people are already putting him on the shelf and going bavk to their other characters, I know I'm back on my LB.

Alustar.
08-31-2017, 02:33 AM
Kweassa1 is on PC though, the game isn't the same on console so I was kind of looking for other feedback.

I think more damage and health would help, but once assassins close the gap you basically can't do much against light spamming, his GB is so close range that it usually misses even when they are right in front of you.

His offensive stance lights seem fast enough to combat assassin light spamming but to get into offensive stance itself takes way too long to use them for that purpose. His dodge is about the same as lawbringers too which doesn't do much for making space between you.

His crushing counter is hard to get on console and I know thats probably the main answer in his moveset to combat light spamming, but out of 50+ matches on ps4 with higlanders in them I've only seen one who consistantly could punish people with that.

Last night Out of 10 games only 1 had a HL in it. It seems like people are already putting him on the shelf and going bavk to their other characters, I know I'm back on my LB.
Against assassins you don't want to go for crushing counter on lights unless you know their attack patterns. Save CC for the heavies cause you can fast flow quicker from that than a parry.

UbiNoty
08-31-2017, 02:38 AM

I'm a PC player myself so it's good to hear these kinds of observations. I hadn't previously connected the dots of the possibility of less console players playing HL with the light attack issues on console.
We'll have to see if HL actually is less played on console based on the hard-data, and if certain matchups are affecting his win rates - but I will bring up with the devs to keep an eye out for!

The_B0G_
08-31-2017, 02:43 AM
I'm a PC player myself so it's good to hear these kinds of observations. I hadn't previously connected the dots of the possibility of less console players playing HL with the light attack issues on console.
We'll have to see if HL actually is less played on console based on the hard-data, and if certain matchups are affecting his win rates - but I will bring up with the devs to keep an eye out for!

Alright thanks, I really want to love playing him, but after getting him to rep 4 and still getting .5 and .6 KD ratio almost every match I had to go back to my LB.

pure_energist
08-31-2017, 06:37 AM
One tactic I use with good success is still going for heavy parries and immediately flowing into OS to the. Land a kick/ or soft feint into grab. To do this you have to get use to holding heavy during the parry.. Ive found great success with this on console. HOWEVER; this is only when you have a heavy attack you have to change stance to block; on console the trick to the crushing counter is already matching the stance, stance change and startup is to slow to make the crushing counter work otherwise. I use crushing counter when doing parry baiting only. Otherwise go back to doing parries like other heros but dont go dont GB and learn to flow to OS. Also the dodge in OS is wider then the dodge in DS. You Can hold a person off with good timing that tries to hit you out of OS. Instead of the Celtic Cross Ill bait people in by being in OS AND WAIT to dodge, counter with OS light and flow into a OS mix ups. You can also bait people in waiting for you to open with Celtic cross bu startung in OS, cancel out of the stance and trade with the Cross..