PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk technology

thelord123456
08-25-2017, 11:07 AM
Anno 1800 is probably going to have to be differant then all the other anno games. Why? Because of the rapidly changing technology of the era. So I can see three things which will be used to keep technology in place. The first option is unlock technology through the civllians, high the level the more modern the technology. This may or may not work, but I just don't see how being richer and more powerful will unlock more technology. The second option is to have a new building, a lab, when you click on it, it gives you a branching list of tech you could select. The earlier ones may just be for money, but the later ones could be items such as steel or wood. The third one would be both of the first two in one, a science lab which only unlocks the next level of technology once your citizens have levelled up, I believe this is the best way for it to work. I also think the tech has several sections which are differant eras. For example: Starts at Naploeanic 1800-1815, then Pre-Victorian 1815-1830, Early Victorian 1830-1845, High Victorian 1845-1870, Late Victorian 1870-1890 and finally Post-Victorian 1890-1900.

If anyone has any other ideas or opinions, don't hesitate to comment.

Swimming-Paul
08-25-2017, 11:14 AM
I really like your idea thelord123456!

The only thing I would change is the name of the technology building. Instead of a lab (which sounds a bit too modern for the 19th century to me) I would say an University (big and monumental building) where all the technologies you mention could be developed. Very nice idea!

CyrusCog
08-25-2017, 11:37 AM
Hello fellow Anno players.
Here is some of the invention's that might be useful to be invented on new version of Anno game.
The book I've mentioned are translated to greek language so if you're check the ISBN you find it in greek e-stores.

All notes taken by: Asimov’s Chronology of Science and Discovery
© 1989 – 1996 Isaac Asimov – Harper & Row Publishers
(ISBN 960-524-026-2)

1180: Construction of windmill in Europe. Result: All farm’s can upgraded (Level 1)

1228: Coal extraction. Result: Gain research point’s in Industry Technology.

1249: Use of gunpowder in Europe. Result: Musket’s can be invented.

1346: Canon invented. Result: A) Artillery can be built, B) Ships can carry canons – Gain research points in Naval Tactics.

1439: Artillery improved. Result: Field artillery can be built – Gain points in Military Technology.

1450: Musket invented. Results: Musketeers can be built - Barracks can be upgrade – Gain points.

1492: Discovery of New World. Result: Mission can be built. Large ships can be built. Gain points in Naval and Social Technology.

1497: Europe discovers India. Result: Improves Trade routes – Trader ships can be built.

1556: Tobacco imported in Europe. Result: Improve workers production

1568: Geography and mapmaking.Result: Clipper ships can be design - Gain points in Naval Tech

1589: Jenny Speed invented. Result: Wool from sheep’s can be used in Textile Industry.

1620: Use of transport wagons. Results: Roads can be upgraded

1640: Charcoal can made from coal. Result: Gain points in Industry Tech.

1645: Air pump invented. Result: Using in mines can improve production. Gain points in Industry Tech and Social Works.

1679: Steam pot invented. Result: Improves Food and worker production – Food Industry can setup.

1698: Steam pump invented. Result: Can be used in mines. All mines can be upgraded in level 2.

1709: Charcoal used in Iron foundry Result: Gain points in Industry Tech.

1712: Steam engine invented. Result: Railroad can be design. Can be used in Industry.

1747: Cure of scurvy with balanced food. Result: Gain points in Naval Tech.

1767: Steam engine improved. Result: Experimental use in mines, railroad and naval.

1781: INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION – Steam engine finalized
Result: Use in mines, railroad and naval. Gain points in Industry, Military and Naval Industry

1787: Construction of 1st Steam Boat. Result: Gain points in Naval Tech. Large cargo ships can be design.

1795: Canned food developed. Result: Gain points in Social Tech. Production can be upgraded. All military units (Army & Navy) gain research points.

1800: Batteries invented – Lighting by Gas. Result: Mines and workers can work more efficiency.

1804: Appearance of the 1ST steam wagon rolling on rails. Result: Gain points in Industry Research. These will lead in railroad development.

1815: Road construction improved. Result: More resources can be traveled.

1824: Cement improved – Railroad for commercial use. Result: The cement it will lead in to town upgrade and the railroad to industry and commercial use. Gain points in Social and Industry Research.

1827: Construction of 1st turbine – Propeller invented. Result: It will lead in upgrading all naval units. Gain points in Naval Research.

1831: Electric generator & engine invented. Result: It will lead in town upgrade. Gain points in Industry research.

1835: Colt gun invented. Result: It will lead in army developed. Light cavalry can be built.

1838: Morse code. Result: It lead in to city upgrade. Applies to Naval units. Gain points in Social and Naval Research.

1841: Rifles invented. Result: It will lead in army developed. Heavy cavalry can be built. Musketeers can upgraded.

1842: Chemicals for farmers. Result: All farms and orchards can upgrade to level 2.

1846: Sewing machine invented. Result: Textile Industry output are doubled.

1852: Elevator invented. Result: Applies to mines. The mines can be upgrade to level 3.

1859: 1st oil drill made by E.L Drake – Kerosene lamp improved. Result: It will lead to improve Industry. Gain points in Industry and Social Research.

1860: Internal combustion engine. Result: Gain points in Industry, Military (Army & Navy) Research

1862: Machine gun invented – Armored war ship can be constructed. Result: New army units can be built. Ironclads can be built.

1866: Dynamite invented. Result: Improve railroad and road construction.

1876: Internal combustion engine invented. Result: Gain points in Industry Research.

1879: Electric light invented. Result: Applies to mines and City upgrade.

1883: Steel – Maxim machine gun invented. Result: Mines can be upgraded to level 4. Heavy infantry can be built.

1885 & 1887: Construction of 1st car with internal combustion engine – Tires invednted. Result: It will lead into road upgrade. Gain points in Industry Research.

1897: Diesel internal combustion engine invented. Result: All naval units can be upgraded and new army units can be built.

1901: Radio. Result: Improve communications.

Feel free to post your ideas/comments.

thelord123456
08-25-2017, 03:59 PM
Thank for the list of items, the ones in the late 18th to late 19th century could be espically useful.

diegovilaga
08-30-2017, 08:10 PM
I completely agree with thelord. A building able to develop some techs or improvements could be great. It is another way some more realistic to unlock buildings instead of population amounts. Some buildings as academy, university, engineering facilities or so could be the place developed and unlock the buildings that require some technology. It is not he same to build a taylor which will do things by hands that developing steam and steam powered loom to make it more efficient and productive.

The university could require also some specific goods and time for sure. Like the academy in 1404 with Al-Hakim. This could allow the game to grow in a less linear way. A player could greatly advance through the game thanks to population and other may prefer a more scientific focus, or both.

VinnieVE
08-31-2017, 12:59 PM
I would make civillian industry available without research. But perhaps you can invent stuff that would increase it's efficiency ( E.G Inventing tractors for increased farming efficiency). But millitary techonologies could be locked behind techonolgy trees. In 1800 many nations kept their technological progress secret. Allowing the player to do industrial espionage would certainly be intresting. The first city on the European mainland (Lier in Belgium) owed it's industrialization to espionage. The efficiency of universities could rely on the wealth of the population. Worker families can't afford to send their children to a university.