PDA

View Full Version : What about a honor meter for team modes ?

Grivois_Gaulois
08-24-2017, 11:35 PM
Suggesting this in general for I'm curious to read opinions about such a mechanic but feel free to relocate if necessary.

Not trying to rule how people should play, for example I consider dominion to be a war mode meaning anything is possible, but rather add some fun and thematic related feature.

How could it work :

- players fighting 1v2 or more should earn honor
- player reanimating teammates should earn honor
- players fighting 1vX on a capping point should earn even more honor
- players using team buffs should earn honor

- players using self buffs (personal abilities, not skirmish buff) should lose honor
- player fighting 2 or more v1 should lose honor
- players using bombs/traps/artillery should lose honor
- players pushing others over the ledge or performing a diving attack from a ledge should lose honor

What honor should be used for ?

Honor could be used to unlock some new cosmetic rewards like :
- titles, being dishonoring ones : the filthy pusher, the trapper, the backstabber, the ambusher, the wicked or honoring ones : the duellist, the faithful, the good friend, the forgiving, the savior, the leader
- new symbols to unlock : a bloody dagger (backstabber) crossing swords (duellist) and the such
- new effects to unlock like a bloody avatar one for dishonoring players as an avatar glowing one for honoring players, meaning with enough dishonor or honor amount you could be allowed to buy the new effect.

CandleInTheDark
08-24-2017, 11:40 PM
Basically something like the Noble (I think)/Dread system in the Total War games? (Well in Medieval 2 in any case). High Noble score generals cause their troops to stay on the field when they would otherwise rout, high Dread push enemies into routing quicker. Thinking of that, while they probably couldn't call it Dread because another game has it but rather than losing honour, filling up a different bar, like say Ruthlessness, would be a less negative connotation than losing honour, a line from the Scarlet Pimpernel tv series (I am DATING myself here) comes to mind, the revolution needs butchers as well as shepherds (same concept as .the Total War example above, sometimes I need someone to hold the line, sometimes I need to put the fear of a notorious general into the enemy).

I guess if the equivalent reward is the same it is fair enough, my problem comes with the possibility of salt being thrown on people in either camp (and other than trying not to ledge in duel though I shed no tears if I do, I am very much not the honour crowd) before the game even starts or more than they would usually get for wearing that distinction so plainly.

ChampionRuby50g
08-24-2017, 11:48 PM
I like the idea, especially how it works into cosmetics. I've always wanted titles in For Honor, to expand on it we could have faction related titles.

Knights: The Proud One, Iron Conviction, Deus Vult!
Vikings: Odins Chosen, The Feared, Legendary!
Samurai: Demon Hunter, The Silent, Cheery Blossoms!

Obviously shocking names, just something I came up with on the spot. I've seen before a suggestion said titles could come with increasing reputation. Perhaps these two ideas could be worked in together

SwellChemosabe
08-25-2017, 12:41 AM
I agree that this could be a fun aspect of the game but I disagree that environmental kills and diving from a ledge to kill someone could be considered dishonorable. If anything they should be given commendations, jumping off of a ledge to get that kill is a huge risk with little reward (yeah you get the kill but you sure as hell aren't getting health back, and lord help you if you land smack in the middle of a gank squad). Environmental kills show initiative. They're annoying but if you were in a fight to the death with an enemy you probably wouldn't shy away from trying to knock that guy over the edge or into some wall spikes.

bmason1000
08-25-2017, 03:04 AM
Players who honorably watch teammates get gang banged lose honor.

CoyoteXStarrk
08-25-2017, 03:08 AM
I gave up on Honor in team modes.

Whichever team is willing to use the cheapest no skill tactics is gonna win. In Dominion, Skirmish, and Elimination skill has ceased to matter.

Even Brawl rarely has honor anymore. You get scrubs who know they can't win on their own skill so they desperately try to 2v1 in order to cheese a win and feel good about themselves.

The only mode that has any Honor left is duel mode and even then most people still spam emotes when they win like children.

UbiNoty
08-25-2017, 03:17 AM
I think it could be interesting to explore.

And while it's always eye-opening to see different honor standards and morals among different players, we also have said before that we don't want to enforce any kind of standardized honor code in the actual gameplay because winning is kind of important too (note: but having fun is the most important!). If you choose to play by an honor code, all the more power to you - I can respect players who abide by their own resolutions. But not everyone feels the same.

That being said, I think it would actually be cool to have some kind of profile stamp/marking to recognize different playstyles. I don't think it should affect anything in game or reward-wise, but being recognized as a honorable duelist or a no-holds barred, in-it-to-win-it ganker would be really fun and neat to see.

SangLong524
08-25-2017, 03:29 AM
By "honor" u mean "renown"? Excellent idea. I'm in for more renown. I can call down catapult and bombs even earlier. I'm not interested in doing anything for honor though, sorry. Now, if it gets me more renown, well.....
Although, isn't there a bonus for that already?

Grivois_Gaulois
08-25-2017, 07:12 AM
I agree that this could be a fun aspect of the game but I disagree that environmental kills and diving from a ledge to kill someone could be considered dishonorable. If anything they should be given commendations, jumping off of a ledge to get that kill is a huge risk with little reward (yeah you get the kill but you sure as hell aren't getting health back, and lord help you if you land smack in the middle of a gank squad). Environmental kills show initiative. They're annoying but if you were in a fight to the death with an enemy you probably wouldn't shy away from trying to knock that guy over the edge or into some wall spikes.

In my opinion a honoring kill should imply an equivalent opposing force : meaning same number of opponents, as of opponents to be actually aware you're attacking them, so I can agree on environemental kills to be some kind of honorable though not in chivalry code way, but diving kills are definitely not in my opinion for the target is usually one shot with complete surprise.

I think it could be interesting to explore.

And while it's always eye-opening to see different honor standards and morals among different players, we also have said before that we don't want to enforce any kind of standardized honor code in the actual gameplay because winning is kind of important too (note: but having fun is the most important!). If you choose to play by an honor code, all the more power to you - I can respect players who abide by their own resolutions. But not everyone feels the same.

That being said, I think it would actually be cool to have some kind of profile stamp/marking to recognize different playstyles. I don't think it should affect anything in game or reward-wise, but being recognized as a honorable duelist or a no-holds barred, in-it-to-win-it ganker would be really fun and neat to see.

Hence the whole point is not to make "honor" meter, reknown is certainly a better choice of word bytheway if this becomes a polemic, forcing playstyle rewards wise but rather proposing various rewards according to own playstyle to please everyone. Obviously a raider will push his opponents over ledge for he is quite meant to do so as a peace keeper or a shinobi will frequently open a fight with surprise, hence the approriate rewards for every playstyles.

Claudius_Katt
08-25-2017, 07:42 AM
Titles would be really awesome,
I do like a good title,
I've always thought it would be awesome to be able to name each of my characters too.

I think it would be great to have two seperate meters though, one honorable, one dishonorable,
That way you could level them both and get a more accurate measure of how likely someone is to be a dastardly villain or a chivalrous hero.

SwellChemosabe
08-25-2017, 09:10 AM
maybe we could make it a game mode? titles unlocked through progression based on types of kills and/or behavior in a match and in the process unlocking titles based on those actions. You can play how you want, and you can take pride in it by showing off. "Bearer of Salt!"

Grivois_Gaulois
08-25-2017, 02:30 PM
maybe we could make it a game mode? titles unlocked through progression based on types of kills and/or behavior in a match and in the process unlocking titles based on those actions. You can play how you want, and you can take pride in it by showing off. "Bearer of Salt!"

DOn't know on consoles but on pc people don't chat with each other, being with teammates or opponents, so it's more of a own satisfaction feature like emblem, since no one but you can actually appreciate it.

Not to mention people that afraid of being harassed could still avoid showing off any title anyway...