PDA

View Full Version : The Yak1B....

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 09:04 PM
...hasn't changed much since the last patch. It's just as accurate during head on encounters as before. It can still make a climbing 180 degree high G turn without suffering any noticable E degredation. After completing the 180 degree climbing turn it will remain close enough on your tail to remain threatening. Is this just AI cheat or is this bird equally lethal when flown by a human? Does anybody with experience on the thing care to share their opinions with me?

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

http://members.chello.se/unni/GK-2.JPG

'When it comes to aircombat, I'd rather be lucky than good any day!'

Message Edited on 09/02/0308:05PM by robban75

XyZspineZyX
09-02-2003, 09:04 PM
...hasn't changed much since the last patch. It's just as accurate during head on encounters as before. It can still make a climbing 180 degree high G turn without suffering any noticable E degredation. After completing the 180 degree climbing turn it will remain close enough on your tail to remain threatening. Is this just AI cheat or is this bird equally lethal when flown by a human? Does anybody with experience on the thing care to share their opinions with me?

/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Message Edited on 09/02/0308:05PM by robban75

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 01:26 AM
The Yak 1B is good, but it's not that good. It's very competitive against early war 109s, up to the 109G2 at least.

If you make a 180 degree climbing turn in a 109 in an attempt to escape from a Yak 1B, they can usually follow you - the plane has good speed and high power loading so it's good in high pitch climbs.

The plane has 1xUBS mg and 1xShVAK in the nose, both of these have higher muzzle velocity and rate of fire compared to the LW guns, which means they are very accurate. Rookie AI pilots won't attempt head ons, but any good pilots you run into will, and will do a good job of it. If you're in a 109 vs Yak1B HO, you've made your first mistake - your engine will die before theirs. You really need to start above them and come down on their tail because you're not going to win a turning fight.

When flying the 1B, my biggest problems are the lack of ammo, the poor dive performance, and the 109G2. It eats 109Fs for breakfast, because in most cases you can keep up with them, and you can out turn them.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 01:31 AM
Why not throw some roll in your climbs, force him upside down when he comes up the pipe. Yak's and such don't fly very well inverted with low energy, and can't shoot worth nothing.

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the answers!/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I didn't say I couldn't handle a fight against a Yak1B, it's just that it makes a more deadly foe than say a Yak3 or La-5FN. However I've discoverd that it's probably the AI that gives it its sparkling E retention and manouverbility. It was a tough cookie even when I was flying the Yak1B. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-03-2003, 07:44 AM
Bf109F4 can handle Yak1b online unless is flown by VVS expert quite well, but you have to be very carefull not to lose you energy or spin out.