PDA

View Full Version : Potential solutions to For Honor's ever-declining playerbase?

JustMumblecrust
08-20-2017, 05:00 AM
(I'm reposting this here, for increased visibility)
For Honor has very redeeming qualities, but it cannot maintain its playerbase because of a few major issues.
Possible changes to improve those issues:

1. Matchmaking is still laggy/broken and its sometimes takes up to 6 attempts to actually get into a game. Ubisoft is working on dedicated servers- let's see those as soon as possible, please. (Hopefully that will solve these problems.)
Ubisoft is already aware of this issue, so I won't go into detail on this one.

2. We need more gametypes, with varying team sizes.
I love pretty much all of the current gametypes, but that isn't enough to keep the playerbase entertained forever. Let's see some new gametypes- like Regicide or King of the Hill from Halo? Those would add some interesting elements to For Honor's unique combat style.
Also, there needs to be multiple party sizes for EVERY game mode. There should be a 3v3 and even a 5v5 for dominion, skirmish, and deathmatch. If 5v5 is too many players for the current maps, make some larger maps!
This is not only to create more diversity and more options in a game that is currently somewhat limited, but this accommodates different party sizes. I almost always play with 3 players, so it would be much better to create a smaller, more compact team of just me and my friends. Furthermore, its absolutely ludicrous that there isn't single gametype where 5 players can all be on the same team (almost every game has at least one extended party gametype). For Honor basically limits party sizes to 4, which is way too small.

Let's see some new gametypes, and let's also add in 3v3, 5v5, maybe even 6v6????

3. The matchmaking search menu is depressingly boring. Is it that hard to add the champion customization page while you're waiting for a game? This not only entertains players like me; it also allows players to read up on a new champion they might want to try in the coming match. It usually takes 20 minutes and 3+ attempts to join one anyway, so why not let us at least look at the different champions, their abilities, and their how-to videos while we wait? (Every other game does this, like Titanfall, Call of Duty, etc).

(These issues are the ones that are bothering me the most, though I know there are many others.)

In the end, I love this game and I support it even as 95% of For Honor's original players abandon it. However, we are in need of some major changes, and I know Ubisoft is trying to get on board. Players- let's keep voicing our opinions, and Ubisoft- please keep listening.
What do you think?

CoyoteXStarrk
08-20-2017, 05:16 AM
If they could just implement the dedicated servers & fix the GODAWFUL matchmaking that would keep people from leaving.

Then if they could fix the parry spam and the defensive meta that would bring people BACK.

kweassa1
08-20-2017, 05:40 AM
Still not gonna make a big difference.

Tekken7, Steam rating of 9/10, SteamDB rating of 89%.

All-time peak of 18k players when launched in June, and what's the player count just 2 months later?

playing 16 min ago: 2,714

24-hour peak: 3,840

http://steamcharts.com/app/389730

A nice reference to how fighting games are simply not the most popular genre for gamers these days... and how player drops of over 50~60% in the 1st month of release is something all fighting games go through. People buy the hype in release, give it a try, over 50~60% of players never really adjust to the brutal, harsh learning curve of fighting games and eventually drop out.

A 20 year old franchise, world-wide fans, regular tournaments and e-sports, polished and perfected game play, single highest recognized 3D fighting game franchise in the world ever since its rival, SEGA's Virtua Fighter series died out, good ratings overall... and still the players drop like flies.

Makes you wonder certain things, don't it. ;)

Linnix1
08-20-2017, 05:59 AM
Doesn't matter the people who dropped Tekken left without a bitter taste in there mouths. They just wanted to give support to a good game series. People drop for honor cause they can stand it's problems

Linnix1
08-20-2017, 06:02 AM
And why do people only use steam sales when making the claim fighters have no playerbase the entire game industry knows fighting games and PC mixes as well as oil and watee

Mia.Nora
08-20-2017, 08:40 AM
For Honor is as much fighting game as Dota is RTS. Apples to oranges.

I think they need constant F2P limited version available to everyone, maybe with just Vanguards and no access to any rewards until game is bought.

Netcode_err_404
08-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Bringing ppl back is easy, fix this mess game, put some effirts in balancing it and remove gear.

So ppl eould have16 charaters to switch every game instead focusing on the same over and over because otherwise they get melted.

Or if you really need thst useless festure, make lvling faster. And lower rep required for last gear so i can play the **** i want and have fun instead pickibg a 0 gear hero and veiing trolled because i do half the damage and take twice the damage

SwellChemosabe
08-20-2017, 10:14 AM
Bringing ppl back is easy, fix this mess game, put some effirts in balancing it and remove gear.

So ppl eould have16 charaters to switch every game instead focusing on the same over and over because otherwise they get melted.

Or if you really need thst useless festure, make lvling faster. And lower rep required for last gear so i can play the **** i want and have fun instead pickibg a 0 gear hero and veiing trolled because i do half the damage and take twice the damage

>.>

....me thinks this one is lost in some deep sauce

Netcode_err_404
08-20-2017, 10:33 AM
>.>

....me thinks this one is lost in some deep sauce

Me thinking that typing by phone while you are doing other things MAY result in grammar errors.

Manlorey
08-20-2017, 12:09 PM
For Honor is as much fighting game as Dota is RTS. Apples to oranges.

I think they need constant F2P limited version available to everyone, maybe with just Vanguards and no access to any rewards until game is bought.
This.

For Honor monetization system is unique. It's a triple A title with cash item shop, something which back in the day was always a trait of F2P-titles with exception of some mmorpgs which later became F2P. Imho, For Honor could really implement some sort of F2P-mode with, like you suggested limited access to heroes and, perhaps, maps, to attract a larger playerbase. It would certainly be of benefit for the game community.

kweassa1
08-20-2017, 12:51 PM
LOL. In full denial again?

Fleshed out combat, sophisticated AoB system and multiple guard positions, frame advantages and systematic variances according to situation which make the fight happen.

You can keep deluding yourselves "it's not a fighting game", but its basically got everything that qualifies it as a full-fledged fighting game. Just because it's not side-view / 2-guard and not made in Japan doesn't make it "oranges", I'm afraid.

Sneaky-Patches
08-20-2017, 12:56 PM
1. Dedicated servers and good matchmaking. Fix the network experience so players on colsole can react to light spam etc..

2. Defensive meta (although not as bad on console) and change up removing all unfavourable mechanics. Find and eradicte exploits too.

3. Balance and reconsider every hero (go back and make some new moves for heros lacking compared to the newer or top tier), balance so all heros are at least close to competitive for competition play. Heroes need to be balanced around competitive 1v1. Then if some of those heroes are lacking in 4v4 modes, consider giving them excellent feats to bridge the gap in some cases, and reworking their ZA.

4. Relook at feats. Some heroes have poor feats the really need good ones in 4v4 (shinobi), and some feats aren't used at all. Some will need new feats, most will need tweaks. See if there's a way to balance feats so it's not a "snowball" effect for the winning team. Maybe all feats unlocked from the go except tier 4.

5. Add some better incentive to keep playing with your main hero all the way to rep 40+, new helmets, ornaments or a cool amor set would keep all those players that play because they like chasing the unlocks and showing off here and playing.

6. Frankly the biggest and most important. Marketing. Get a really realllllllly really big patch ready with new heros, new armors, executions, new 6v6 mode, new maps, and so on... And spend the money to advertise it like it was the second coming of christ. Pay for some youtubers to fly out and test these early. Build hype. Put some money into another competition ( could have both 4v4 and 1v1 modes to make it more interesting). Offer a small but decent bit of money for the best community created video or advertisement for the game or showcasing the best clips or combat, there are some talented people out there.

7. The game has to be fixed thoroughly before no 6 though, and it also has to be a massive campaign push, not a half baked attempt. Reason being is you will NEED to get so many new players in that the game can and will matchmake all these noobs against each other for the first number of reps before it unleashes some of the god damn wolves out there on these poor sheeps... because we already know there is a number of wolves in sheeps clothing when these weekends go live anyway.

Market that it's entirely free for a week or so with a following sale. I nearly didn't but this game at all because I hate tekken and other (imo dumb looking) fighters. I saw it looked more semi realistic and decided to just about give it a try for lack of better options at the time, and it turned out to be my favourite game I've ever played. hype + free go a long way.

Alustar.
08-20-2017, 02:59 PM
LOL. In full denial again?

Fleshed out combat, sophisticated AoB system and multiple guard positions, frame advantages and systematic variances according to situation which make the fight happen.

You can keep deluding yourselves "it's not a fighting game", but its basically got everything that qualifies it as a full-fledged fighting game. Just because it's not side-view / 2-guard and not made in Japan doesn't make it "oranges", I'm afraid.

I know right? What would you people classify it as if not a fighting game? That's like saying Dragon Ball Xenoverse isn't a fighting game.

RatedChaotic
08-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Still not gonna make a big difference.

Tekken7, Steam rating of 9/10, SteamDB rating of 89%.

All-time peak of 18k players when launched in June, and what's the player count just 2 months later?

playing 16 min ago: 2,714

24-hour peak: 3,840

http://steamcharts.com/app/389730

A nice reference to how fighting games are simply not the most popular genre for gamers these days... and how player drops of over 50~60% in the 1st month of release is something all fighting games go through. People buy the hype in release, give it a try, over 50~60% of players never really adjust to the brutal, harsh learning curve of fighting games and eventually drop out.

A 20 year old franchise, world-wide fans, regular tournaments and e-sports, polished and perfected game play, single highest recognized 3D fighting game franchise in the world ever since its rival, SEGA's Virtua Fighter series died out, good ratings overall... and still the players drop like flies.

Makes you wonder certain things, don't it. ;)

There was an article in Game Informer this month talking about fighting games in the competitive scene. It wasnt a positive one thats for sure.. Many fighters were mentioned and listed.

Basically they were saying the samething as you just did. But alittle more in depth. It was worth reading.

The_B0G_
08-20-2017, 03:20 PM
In my opinion PC is the only platform the game is dying on. I've said it time, and time again, PC players are flakey, the smallest error in a game can have a PC player ditching a game, I have a gaming PC and I was the same way.

There are so many games to choose from on PC it's easy to find another you enjoy that has a lot of similarities.

Me and all my friends who bought the game for PS4 at release, still play it more than all of our other games. It never takes long to find a match, but we do have nights where we get kicked out of multiple games at the end of the match which makes us turn it off for the night.

The game has issues, but it's far from dead or dying on consoles. They should start balancing it for console versions IMO and let PC take a back seat.

UbiJurassic
08-21-2017, 12:44 AM
(I'm reposting this here, for increased visibility)
For Honor has very redeeming qualities, but it cannot maintain its playerbase because of a few major issues.
Possible changes to improve those issues:

1. Matchmaking is still laggy/broken and its sometimes takes up to 6 attempts to actually get into a game. Ubisoft is working on dedicated servers- let's see those as soon as possible, please. (Hopefully that will solve these problems.)
Ubisoft is already aware of this issue, so I won't go into detail on this one.

2. We need more gametypes, with varying team sizes.
I love pretty much all of the current gametypes, but that isn't enough to keep the playerbase entertained forever. Let's see some new gametypes- like Regicide or King of the Hill from Halo? Those would add some interesting elements to For Honor's unique combat style.
Also, there needs to be multiple party sizes for EVERY game mode. There should be a 3v3 and even a 5v5 for dominion, skirmish, and deathmatch. If 5v5 is too many players for the current maps, make some larger maps!
This is not only to create more diversity and more options in a game that is currently somewhat limited, but this accommodates different party sizes. I almost always play with 3 players, so it would be much better to create a smaller, more compact team of just me and my friends. Furthermore, its absolutely ludicrous that there isn't single gametype where 5 players can all be on the same team (almost every game has at least one extended party gametype). For Honor basically limits party sizes to 4, which is way too small.

Let's see some new gametypes, and let's also add in 3v3, 5v5, maybe even 6v6????

3. The matchmaking search menu is depressingly boring. Is it that hard to add the champion customization page while you're waiting for a game? This not only entertains players like me; it also allows players to read up on a new champion they might want to try in the coming match. It usually takes 20 minutes and 3+ attempts to join one anyway, so why not let us at least look at the different champions, their abilities, and their how-to videos while we wait? (Every other game does this, like Titanfall, Call of Duty, etc).

(These issues are the ones that are bothering me the most, though I know there are many others.)

In the end, I love this game and I support it even as 95% of For Honor's original players abandon it. However, we are in need of some major changes, and I know Ubisoft is trying to get on board. Players- let's keep voicing our opinions, and Ubisoft- please keep listening.
What do you think?

1. We're working to get dedicated servers up and running as soon as possible. However, it's going to take time for our team to adjust the game around the new network architecture.

2. We do have a new gamemode coming with Season 4. It'll be completely new and will not be a variant (like our event-only Realistic modes) of a current mode.

3. We're sending an inquiry to the team regarding that and we'll be sure to let people know if we hear more regarding that.