PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated servers - is there hope?

Robbocroft
08-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Hi everyone, i bought for honor on release day (ps4) and stopped playing after a while due to constant network problems.
A pity because i really enjoyed the game. Mostly 1v1 and 2v2. Didn't mind the occasional bout with bot too.
Now my interest spiked again reading about the planned introduction of dedicated servers (even if it's unclear to me when it will be).
But i wonder if it might be too late. What's the status of the population nowadays? Can you still find matches in a reasonable time? Do you think dedicated servers will help out?

T_Sesh
08-14-2017, 03:35 PM
Population is still good regardless of platform, though PS4 likely has the largest playerbase, as consoles usually do. I imagine the half off sale over the weekend also boosted player numbers across all platforms. I suggest playing on PC if you have the computer that can handle it, if only for the framerate. They haven't said when dedicated servers will be coming, but I wouldn't personally count on seeing them before early next year, if I had to guess. Its a big project.

Midas.br
08-14-2017, 07:56 PM
I have the same question: When are they moving to dedicated servers ???

This is the only thing this game needs right now (well actualy it is needed from Day1). All the other issues are minor compared to this. Because in the state it is now, the game is not playable. I loved the game but I was forced to quit. It is not reasonable waiting 10 minutes at least (20 minutes average) to pop a game. Besides, 1/3 of the games, at least, have a disconnection before it finishes, wich measn 20 more minutes of waiting to match again. P2P for this game is just plain stupid. It ia a great game, it had a great potential to become an e-sport. But ubisoft just flushed it down the toillet.To Ubisoft financial manager, I ask:

1- How much money have you spent already trying to fix the unfixable P2P?
2 - How many players (and revenue from in-game store) have you lost?
3 - Was it worthy killing a great game to save money on dedicated servers?

DEDICATED SERVERS NOW!!! You are already late. It is a no brainer.

T_Sesh
08-14-2017, 08:17 PM
I have the same question: When are they moving to dedicated servers ???

This is the only thing this game needs right now (well actualy it is needed from Day1). All the other issues are minor compared to this. Because in the state it is now, the game is not playable. I loved the game but I was forced to quit. It is not reasonable waiting 10 minutes at least (20 minutes average) to pop a game. Besides, 1/3 of the games, at least, have a disconnection before it finishes, wich measn 20 more minutes of waiting to match again. P2P for this game is just plain stupid. It ia a great game, it had a great potential to become an e-sport. But ubisoft just flushed it down the toillet.To Ubisoft financial manager, I ask:

1- How much money have you spent already trying to fix the unfixable P2P?
2 - How many players (and revenue from in-game store) have you lost?
3 - Was it worthy killing a great game to save money on dedicated servers?

DEDICATED SERVERS NOW!!! You are already late. It is a no brainer.

Unfortunately yeah, if you're not in Europe or North America, its gotta be hard to find a match, since it won't ever match you with those players due to the lag it would cause. Being in America, it only takes a minute or two to get into a match, and only maybe 1/10 games disconnect for me, but I might be one of the lucky ones. I don't know that it will be much better for you after dedicated servers though - due to a low regional player count, you'll still have long wait times at the least, though fewer disconnects at least. I imagine lag will be a problem for you however.

Lumina-US
08-14-2017, 09:00 PM
I suggest playing on PC if you have the computer that can handle it, if only for the framerate.Are you serious?

Why anyone with common sense would want to play this game on the platform where its already dried out the most, out of ALL 3 options available, is completely beyond me - unless you like to fap with the same old elitists over and over, for the rest of your FH-life.

You should rather suggest him to play where the MOST players are.

Go with common sense AND players, not frames per second.

Midas.br
09-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Not really. In fact, at times there are more people connect (aka weekends) are those that take more time to get a match.

Derkwow-cz
09-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Dedicated severs have one problem: lags and pings and again lags and pings.
If dedicated server will cheap and low, than will be a lot of lags and peoples will be angry of laggy peoples :D

DoctorMcBatman
09-06-2017, 07:37 PM
The road-map they released over the summer had dedicated servers being included with Season 4's release. I haven't heard confirmation on that since, but I also haven't heard anything contradicting that information.

Mods? Can you confirm?

PrimaGoosa
09-06-2017, 08:36 PM
Be careful with your own expectations going into Dedicated Servers. A game with tight reaction timings is almost assuredly going to have some consequences on a client-server architecture. There's more to For Honor player interactions than on, say, a FPS game where it can be a race to see whose headshot the server registered first.

Just imagine a typical scenario with Player A and Player B. Player A swings a 500ms light attack at Player B. Let's assume it takes 50 ms for a message to reach the server for both players, and Time 0 is when the first action occurs.

At 50 ms, the server receives the fact that Player A attacked and forwards it to player B. As a very simple case, let's say it starts the timer for reacting to the attack.

At 100 ms, Player B sees a swing coming at him.

At 550 ms, Player B inputs the appropriate command to block in the correct direction. This is barely within the 500 ms duration of the attack from Player B's perspective, because Player B saw the swing at 100 ms from the server. However, it's before the attack should land from B's perspective.
Also at 550 ms, the server also determines that the attack succeeded, because 500 ms have passed for the 500 ms attack based on when the server received the attack command from Player A. The server sends the fact that the attack hit to both players.

At 600 ms, the server sees the block command from Player B. However, this is too late.
Also at 600 ms, Player A sees his attack hit, 100 ms after the attack should have felt like it landed from his perspective.
Also at 600 ms, Player B sees himself get hit, 50 ms after he felt like he successfully blocked the attack.

This is an ultra basic example, but it illustrates the difficulty that a dedicated server can present. The server has to try to compensate for player pings, and every millisecond that it lets slide for a defender reaction will make the game feel more and more flaky. If it completely defers to the defender, then the attacker is going to much more frequently see attacks look like they hit on his screen based on his client-side calculation, before the server says "Actually no, that was blocked/parried", at which point the attacker's perspective will shift accordingly. The greater the time between that correction, the worse the game is going to feel.

The P2P analysis of that same interaction would, theoretically, look like the following:

At 0 ms, Player A swings his 500 ms light attack.

At 50 ms, Player B sees a swing coming at him.

At 500 ms, Player B blocks in the appropriate direction to successfully block the attack with client-side defender priority on the simulated attack, since he had until 550 ms.

At 550 ms, Player A receives the fact that Player B blocked. As a result, there might have been a 50 ms flicker where it showed the player getting hit before being successfully blocked.

With maximum defender priority, there's no middle-man transaction that adds up the milliseconds between messages for an even flakier experience. It still depends on player pings, but it's always going to, even with dedicated servers.

The main benefit of dedicated servers is that there shouldn't be the egregious number of game crashes due to a failure to recover from player disconnection. However, gameplay is most likely not going to feel the same.

And again, the simple examples above might not 100% reflect a sophisticated netcode architecture for a game, but hopefully it at least gets people thinking of the consequences of a dedicated server infrastructure. Imagine it taking a server 150-200 ms to interact with one of the clients in the game. How do people think that's going to feel? Any better?

UbiNoty
09-07-2017, 12:12 AM
Making the change to dedicated servers was a huge decision we made. While we believe it is a decision made for the better, it will also take time. We're trying our best to accelerate the process, but it's still going to take time. We can't just plug and play from P2P to DS. We're making changes to infrastructure here, and it's a delicate and complicated process.

As for whether it will solve everything - it will definitely resolve many of the connectivity and stability issues, which is why we made this choice.
But as some have brought up, there's always cost-benefit with any type of infrastructure.

AnEnticingSquid
09-07-2017, 02:03 AM
If ds means I can actually play a 4v4 game mode again, then I'm all for it..