PDA

View Full Version : more environmental hazards? why?

SenBotsu893
08-14-2017, 01:45 PM
i really dislike the idea that with the 2 new maps they had to include the single player balista and that indiana jones rolling boulder.
arent there enough spikes/fires/pits already?

T_Sesh
08-14-2017, 03:51 PM
Because instant death that you can do little to prevent is fun! /s

bmason1000
08-14-2017, 04:06 PM
I recall a lot of threads and comments very specifically asking for the ballista.

I was always opposed to it but lets see, maybe they are fun. The gate kills at sanctuary bridge are always funny so, why not? I'm skeptical, my opinion would have been "no don't add that," but lots of people asked for it and now its here so...cautious optimism.

SenBotsu893
08-14-2017, 05:52 PM
if you get killed by a gate then you have yourself to blame for not checking if the switch is manned.

well i gues you could always NOT go towards the area where the running bolder comes through. hopefully that isnt a capture zone.

but how are you supposed to avoid getting 1 shotted while you might be engaged in a fight? getting killed by something you could not possibly prevent is not going to be fun.
i just hope the ballista has no line of sight towards capture zones.

Tundra 793
08-14-2017, 06:42 PM
Based on the gameplay I've seen so far; When you man a ballista, you're highlighted for everyone to see, so people know when they have to go around the area the ballistas can fire at.

When someone releases the rolling spike thing, there is a clear audible indication, so you have time to clear out before it hits.

hopefully that isnt a capture zone.

The new Viking map actually isn't available for Dominion, but all the other modes.

I think the Ballistas overlook the mid zone in Dominion though.

but how are you supposed to avoid getting 1 shotted while you might be engaged in a fight?

Well like I said before; You apparently can tell when the ballistas are manned, so plan accordingly. If you still find yourself in a fight near them, they have Friendly Fire, so there's as much chance of the shooter hitting you as his own teammate.

Wolf-Heathen
08-14-2017, 08:01 PM
That is a good question, The community have been pretty vocal of their dislike of the tight maps with pits/spikes everywhere. Ubisoft even acknowledged this by taking out their most despised aspects of their duel maps, namely tight, narrow walkways...

Overwatch: Duel location on broken bridge has been altered to include larger fighting space.
Tower Ruin"Duel location on balcony catwalk now has full railing along the lookout view.
Duel location at top of tower has been removed and moved to lower garden area.
Forest: Duel location on bridge has been removed and moved to lower area.

Why such an emphasis on environmental kills in a fighting game??? Why don't you just let the combatants FIGHT to the death....

Tundra 793
08-14-2017, 08:08 PM
That is a good question, The community have been pretty vocal of their dislike of the tight maps with pits/spikes everywhere. Ubisoft even acknowledged this by taking out their most despised aspects of their duel maps, namely tight, narrow walkways...

To be fair, the hazards in these 2 new maps appear restricted to 4v4 modes, so there's quite a lot of freedom of movement. It's possible to go a whole match, and win it, without even encountering either a ballista or the rolling spike.

Wolf-Heathen
08-14-2017, 08:15 PM
To be fair, the hazards in these 2 new maps appear restricted to 4v4 modes, so there's quite a lot of freedom of movement. It's possible to go a whole match, and win it, without even encountering either a ballista or the rolling spike.

You may be right. I was speaking more towards their design philosophy when it comes to map design. I don't understand why they insist on making environmental kills present on every map. Overwatch is also 4v4 map with lots of open ares, but the C point forces players to fight in a tight narrow patch where lateral movement is cutoff due to pits, and then more pits open up further restricting movement. A point is also very tight with a broken wall for ledge kills.

So, just because you have an open map with lots of ground, doesn't mean there aren't areas where you forced to fight in tight spaces with hazards.