PDA

View Full Version : I just want a good knight game, is For Honor for me?

UnhappyLawbro
08-14-2017, 03:36 AM
I don't know if there are other people like me, but I used to love knights toys when I was a kid, and this game seems to really fulfill my childhood fantasy with customizable knights and really good combat. However it seems to be 100% a pvp game. Although I like the combat a lot, I'm really not a competitive guy and I generally suck at fighting games where you have to memorize different combos and tactics for each character.

All I really want is a game with cool medieval knights and nice combat and lots of ways to customize my character. For Honor seems to have it all. But since I'm not very interested in competitive modes, I'm not sure if I will need to invest lots of time and energy into pvp to unlock all the stuffs I want to customize my character. I will never spend a penny in microtransactions, so do I need to grind the crap out of myself to be able to unlock any decent gear?

I'm just a casual player, I will only play pvp once in a while when I feel like it. So if I get the game I will probably mostly play against AIs. Can I still unlock good gear/cosmetics without fighting against real players?

Should I still get the game?

Thanks.

Hornold44
08-14-2017, 04:03 AM
Thank you so much for suggesting a new game. lol

bmason1000
08-14-2017, 04:06 AM
For honor is one of my favorite games ever and i would suggest it to absolutely everyone who would enjoy it. From your questions though, it may not be what you're looking for, but perhaps it could be.

At it's core, it is absolutely a pvp fighting game. It doesn't play like others though, and the move lists are generally short and simple. Not a lot of memorization at all. You only need to know characters other than your own in a very basic sense. Knowing the mechanics is often more important.

As for custimization, it is also a bit lacking and there is a bit of "grinding." It being a pvp game though, i really wouldn't call it a grind. You're just playing the game like you already planned to when you turned it on. You're not pausing a story or side quests to fight baddies and grind because none of that exists. You're just playing the game, like you were going to anyway.

There is a single player campaign that is a great start for new players. Learn the game, earn enough loot to get yourself started with. However, it is short and not worth the selling price on it's own. At its heart, for honor is 100% a multiplayer game. But! You can do all those modes against AI and earn everything that way, too. In fact, most players would suggest you start against AI anyways until you know what you're doing.

Like i said, its one of my favorites and i really don't want to deter a potential new player, but in your case i would strongly suggest you try before you buy. Maybe rent or borrow if you're on console? Or buy it and hope you like it, i don't know haha.

I know this was a long post but i hope it helped, and i really hope you'll decide to join us. This game is beyond addicting. Have fun out there!

AlarmingVirus99
08-14-2017, 04:08 AM
I can't say for sure if this game will or will not break your immersion. But if you want to play as the knights then Warden and Lawbringer will be the heroes for you, while Conquer is pretty much a criminal who proved his worth and Peacekeeper is just an assassin. Combat may seem confusing at first but after awhile you will get use to it.
If you don't like playing against players then just go against AI. Lvl 1 bots are easy, Lvl 2 can be challenging in groups, and Lv3 bots should be in a tournament or something, seriously they are pretty good. (have more skill then those in our last tournament)

Of coarse this game isn't historically accurate, there are a lot of realistic combat moves but if you want something historical then this may not be the game for you. Vikings weren't around in the time of knights and samurai were on the other side of Asia, they made no contact with Europe. Plus the heroes in a way are gods compared to the soldiers.
Customization isn't as good as it could be, the warden doesn't even have a chest plate or full chainmail. (*cough* because the devs said its hard making new things even though there are lots of unused content and ideas from the community. *cough*)

Overall its a pretty fun game, its got a good story mode too that's pretty immersive. I'm pretty sure its still 50% off so this may be the best time to get it and try it out. If you want a fun fighting game, then For Honor is for you. Want a historically accurate medieval game, then you may not like For Honor.

Mia.Nora
08-14-2017, 04:55 AM
Hey Furude,

If your question was any different I would say absolutely do not waste your money on this game. However if you are not interested in PvP much, but want to enjoy a Knight combat simulator, then yes absolutely buy it only with %50 discount. Any more than that is not worth your $ since it will be an extremely repetitive and limited experience.

You can lvl up and gear through vs AI fights and you can enjoy any mode with vs AI only without any real players or queue times (in game mode details you can turn matchmaking OFF for vs AI modes). That way you can play only vs AI with lvl 2 bots. They are not horrible, but quite predictable after a while; and once you hit that point you can go into menu and turn off all UI, to turn the game into a cinematic experience. No life bars, no weird stuff on screen, just your character and enemy doing combat animations. Once you get too good with that, just start making custom games with lvl3 bots and keep enjoying.

Sadly custom modes do not give neither xp, nor steel or any loot. And the only way to up AI difficulty is via custom games. We have been beggin for vs AI with lvl3 bots but they ignore.

UnhappyLawbro
08-14-2017, 05:23 AM
Thank you Mia.Nora! your post really answers everything I'm looking for! So you basically get to enjoy the cool combat AND get the cosmetic/gears for my knights by only fighting AIs? That's really the only two things I care about right now! I will definitely play PVP too but I just can't imagine myself enjoy it too much giving how uncompetitve I usually am.

I would appreciate a little bit more elaboration on two points you mentioned. You mentioned that you can make custom games with lvl3 bots, but then you say people have been requesting AI with lvl 3 bots yet Ubisoft ignores? So in what modes can you fight lvl 3 bots and what you can't?

Another point is about the xp, steel and loot. Since I can't get any of these fighting versus AIs, do the lack of these stuffs significantly impair my enjoyment? So I can't get any skills or even any good gear fighting against AIs?

Thanks a lot for your response, and thanks to everyone else for your opinions as well!

Mia.Nora
08-14-2017, 05:54 AM
Thank you Mia.Nora! your post really answers everything I'm looking for! So you basically get to enjoy the cool combat AND get the cosmetic/gears for my knights by only fighting AIs? That's really the only two things I care about right now! I will definitely play PVP too but I just can't imagine myself enjoy it too much giving how uncompetitve I usually am.

I would appreciate a little bit more elaboration on two points you mentioned. You mentioned that you can make custom games with lvl3 bots, but then you say people have been requesting AI with lvl 3 bots yet Ubisoft ignores? So in what modes can you fight lvl 3 bots and what you can't?

Another point is about the xp, steel and loot. Since I can't get any of these fighting versus AIs, do the lack of these stuffs significantly impair my enjoyment? So I can't get any skills or even any good gear fighting against AIs?

Thanks a lot for your response, and thanks to everyone else for your opinions as well!

Sorry, I just noticed the way I explained is only clear to someone who saw the interface and menus.

There are 5 game modes, Duels (1v), Brawl(2v2), Dominion, Elimination, Skirmish (all three of those 4v4). You can play those either vs players or vs AI. If you play vs AI you will get less xp,steel and loot compared to vs players, but still will get enough to progress in lvling up your characters, gear them with loot and earn steel through daily orders and matches.

All vs AI games normally work like that; your team full players, enemy team full AI. But queue times are horrendous, so you can just turn off matchmaking so that your own team is also AI, that way match starts immediately. Every bot in every AI game is set to lvl 2. That is the part ubisoft have been ignoring us, since we want to option to play vs AI games with lvl 3 bots.

Only way of involving lvl3 bots is by creating a game from main menu option of 'Custom Game' where you set the rules yourself, including bot lvl. But custom games do not give any rewards (unlike vs AI games I mentioned above)

About gear and skill, gear makes a bit of difference especially no gear vs max gear; but not game breaking. You earn gear by loots at end of matches (including vs AI). Skill, well that's a bit tough to say. AI plays in a very pattern based predictable way. Whatever you learn vs AI may or may not apply to real fights, in most cases probably making you develop wrong habits. But nonetheless initially lvl2 bots a bit challenge, once you get skilled you will flawless win vs them. Then you will turn off UI and do it without indicators or health bars. Then you will see how aggressive lvl 3 bots are and good at defense they are, so there is absolutely skill to master regardless.

I still find it quite hard to fight vs lvl 3 centurion bot with UI off. I set a 99 round game vs one and that's usually what I do when I am in mood of real challenge.

Tundra 793
08-14-2017, 05:56 AM
Just wanted to add; You can engage in PvP games casually.

It's not like we're all Mountain Dew fueled super gamers who only play competitively, we just wanna have fun too. Fighting against other people is just a lot more surprising/interesting than AIs, since people even with the same Hero may have a different play style.

Trbevis
08-14-2017, 06:04 AM
Thats why i got interested in for honor, i love knights, and its now one of my favourite games, when i get sixk of pvp i just go into pv ai, no problems, its enjoyable combat

UnhappyLawbro
08-14-2017, 06:06 AM
Thank you very much for your super informative replies! Guess I will grab the game then, no reason to not to when it has what I like and I can play with no pressure VS AIs and still get progressions.

UnhappyLawbro
08-14-2017, 06:08 AM
Haha I know. I will definitely be playing PVP every now and then. But I don't like having the pressure of only being able to fight against players all the time. Having the option to fight bots and progressing at the same time really makes me feel a lot more casual when playing the game since I know I won't have to worry about getting my *** handed to me in each time in a humiliating manner, the AIs don't care lol.