PDA

View Full Version : Non theme objects in editor

AW LOST SOLDIER
08-13-2017, 09:18 AM
It would be a great idea to add a non theme items section in object folder. map builders love to go off theme and build custom objects. non theme items would make it much easier. things like textured blocks, tubes and such. below is a mech i created in the far cry 4 map editor on xb1 as an example of, when i say we go off theme.
https://wystza.by3301.livefilestore.com/y4m3aH8mGmdM9cjd4TtpW2XtzOWZAQGAKeM0Em0BOwhgAsmUrX N3XwRmrM2SHvM3cpWWS_6bIo79qUqZ4-uu8woyg9xiPjeaoPmfu5LpmWgbxL7mSEushqY4eExxUZxMHIjo 0-6LJ-gyuZj-ruYe-JpoEyLTMQjCxL-x4wuRhO2HPVpffeWBuO9VzPC49lGN8Hzb4bPJ-DjHnHcHJW9RciJ9A?width=1920&height=1080&cropmode=none

akilyoung
08-13-2017, 02:15 PM
I agree, and cool mech AW

Fallen-Champ
08-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Cool Mech but I bet that section alone is close to the items per grid square allowance and possibly 50% - 75% of the total allowance on console ?

AW LOST SOLDIER
08-13-2017, 03:58 PM
Cool Mech but I bet that section alone is close to the items per grid square allowance and possibly 50% - 75% of the total allowance on console ?

The scene is at 48% object count and grids are at max. at the moment i just cant be bothered makiing full SP maps, im just enjoying the fc4 map editor as an art tool or as i call it, building a painting. once fc5 releases i will be back to making MP maps, untll then im just painting in the editor :)

Restylex.
08-18-2017, 09:32 AM
cool !

ImGonaG3tUsucka
08-18-2017, 02:43 PM
Yeah the budget is very limited on consoles. The scene looks great.. I like the cracked ground. I don't think I'm any good with making a scene.

AW LOST SOLDIER
08-18-2017, 05:10 PM
The thing is it takes a long time to make something so complex with custom objects.

Once I have made the general layout adding detail is limited to budget.

You could picture that scene as a screenshot from a AAA sci-fi type game. But why don't we have that budget across a whole map?

The whole scene was about 4 - 5 hours of work. i wish we could have this kind of budget across whole map. Sab, thanks for saying it looks like a AAA game screen, thats the best compliment a mapper could hope for. thankyou.

Fallen-Champ
08-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Place a load of corpses in a grid and see how quick you reach the limit on console with just corpses alone, those things need the numbers tweaking so they don't cost as much.

akilyoung
08-20-2017, 02:31 PM
The whole scene was about 4 - 5 hours of work. i wish we could have this kind of budget across whole map. Sab, thanks for saying it looks like a AAA game screen, thats the best compliment a mapper could hope for. thankyou.

Switch to PC like a lot of us are, and your whole world will open up...

AW LOST SOLDIER
08-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Switch to PC like a lot of us are, and your whole world will open up...

I will never switch to pc, i dont like pc gaming. the pc far cry map making community is way too small imo. i can live with the console budget. moving to pc doesn't increase a persons skill, it only allows a person to build more of the same. if far cry 5 turns out the way we hope, all the xbox mappers (where about 80% of the best mappers are ) will return for fc5. when fc5 releases it's the xbox one that will be the scene to be in, just like the fc2 & fc3 days. i will always be xbox :)

AKAFootloose
08-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Yes, corpses very costly, most have a budget cost of 65. Vehicles and rocks very costly too, 50-75 or more. That green steel door is only 9 but the Rebel Bunker Wall it goes with is only 8

Fallen-Champ
08-20-2017, 04:24 PM
I will never switch to pc, i dont like pc gaming. the pc far cry map making community is way too small imo. i can live with the console budget. moving to pc doesn't increase a persons skill, it only allows a person to build more of the same. if far cry 5 turns out the way we hope, all the xbox mappers (where about 80% of the best mappers are ) will return for fc5. when fc5 releases it's the xbox one that will be the scene to be in, just like the fc2 & fc3 days. i will always be xbox :)

You don't know what your talking about, The PC Community have Mods which enable them to build and use things not currently possible on Consoles, some of these things are water streams where you have to place sound in set areas so you can hear the stream, there are floating clouds and mist and many other things, you can't just place these things anywhere because they don't look right unless used properly, also they have Palm Trees and these have a draw distance and some bushes that pop in and out at close range which you are best off deleting them individually or they can look ghastly - also water droplets and loads of other things and that is on the old mod.

The new one which Steve64 has been playing around with I hear it has a huge number of new things if it becomes available they even have black hawk helicopters that can attack you so in fact YES with more assets at your disposal and NEW TOOLS this will give the map builder more options which will in turn IMO make them a better builder.

I am sure we will get new things to use with the FC5 editor and if we do these might take time to learn how to use so someone who masters any new additions would surely become a better builder than someone who doesn't use them.

As for a bigger budget you can do more with it so could be tempted to have a go at building something not possible on consoles and until you try you don't know if it can be pulled off so again that must improve a persons skills because of the complexity of the custom build - sure lining things up and selecting objects is the same but a bigger budget means more bold maps and people can push themselves further.

I agree there were some phenomenal map builders on Xbox360 but notice the words WERE, lots left with Instincts Predator and didn't stick around long with Far Cry 2 .
Same with Far Cry 3 people making cool stuff but people couldn't get games going and with Far Cry 4 possibly 95% snubbed the game - the Playstation side has improved a lot and some switched from Xbox also but there is no rivalry why should there be ? It's people using an editor making maps and sharing them.

I hope a lot return with Far Cry 5 because I have a lot of friends still on Xbox Platform and would love to play some multiplayer with them, also I see myself playing more multiplayer on console but that doesn't mean the PC has less players I just don't use keyboard and mouse to play.

I don't believe you have a gaming rig so you won't know the figures on people playing maps - So some are in the region of played over 900 times with map Jam compared to maybe 100 on console at a guess - I don't think the map making community is small at all they just don't promote their work as much - let's not try and forge a split with Xbox / PS4 / PC etc that would just be childish - sorry but I don't agree and think your full of crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBJD3z3PbJc&t=107s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0xPb8Z3P-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNAdNbVI1Jw&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWlm6OzYTio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjuxe33iVHA

AW LOST SOLDIER
08-20-2017, 05:32 PM
You don't know what your talking about, The PC Community have Mods which enable them to build and use things not currently possible on Consoles, some of these things are water streams where you have to place sound in set areas so you can hear the stream, there are floating clouds and mist and many other things, you can't just place these things anywhere because they don't look right unless used properly, also they have Palm Trees and these have a draw distance and some bushes that pop in and out at close range which you are best off deleting them individually or they can look ghastly - also water droplets and loads of other things and that is on the old mod.

The new one which Steve64 has been playing around with I hear it has a huge number of new things if it becomes available they even have black hawk helicopters that can attack you so in fact YES with more assets at your disposal and NEW TOOLS this will give the map builder more options which will in turn IMO make them a better builder.

I am sure we will get new things to use with the FC5 editor and if we do these might take time to learn how to use so someone who masters any new additions would surely become a better builder than someone who doesn't use them.

As for a bigger budget you can do more with it so could be tempted to have a go at building something not possible on consoles and until you try you don't know if it can be pulled off so again that must improve a persons skills because of the complexity of the custom build - sure lining things up and selecting objects is the same but a bigger budget means more bold maps and people can push themselves further.

I agree there were some phenomenal map builders on Xbox360 but notice the words WERE, lots left with Instincts Predator and didn't stick around long with Far Cry 2 .
Same with Far Cry 3 people making cool stuff but people couldn't get games going and with Far Cry 4 possibly 95% snubbed the game - the Playstation side has improved a lot and some switched from Xbox also but there is no rivalry why should there be ? It's people using an editor making maps and sharing them.

I hope a lot return with Far Cry 5 because I have a lot of friends still on Xbox Platform and would love to play some multiplayer with them, also I see myself playing more multiplayer on console but that doesn't mean the PC has less players I just don't use keyboard and mouse to play.

I don't believe you have a gaming rig so you won't know the figures on people playing maps - So some are in the region of played over 900 times with map Jam compared to maybe 100 on console at a guess - I don't think the map making community is small at all they just don't promote their work as much - let's not try and forge a split with Xbox / PS4 / PC etc that would just be childish - sorry but I don't agree and think your full of crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBJD3z3PbJc&t=107s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0xPb8Z3P-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNAdNbVI1Jw&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWlm6OzYTio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjuxe33iVHA

I dont have any interest in pc modding when it comes to far cry. some do, some dont.

Fallen-Champ
08-20-2017, 05:49 PM
I dont have any interest in pc modding when it comes to far cry. some do, some dont.

That's fair enough but I am sure you would use extra assets if you could use them, similar to the Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon DLC that came out only on Consoles I believe - it isn't much different really because you download the MOD (on consoles you download the small file) but instead the console injects the file where it has to go - on PC you just place the file manually and that's it very simple. (So really if Ubisoft had wanted they could easily have added in these extras as DLC)

Sure they are unofficial but work perfectly for everyone, everything works for EVERYONE so even if you don't have a MOD installed you can download the map from Ubisofts Servers and it will play fine with all the new assets in the map.

Basically it gives you lots more items to use and that's it - so you saying you wouldn't want more assets if they were available to you - then at the same time putting a post up asking for Non themed Objects in the editor - some of the items I have seen skinned so for example a concrete block could be skinned as a wooden one so that's like getting a new item in itself as it would be a different size and shape.

It doesn't make sense ALS surely if you could do one click and DL new stuff on XB1 you would be at the front of the queue for this stuff - that's all I did on PC I have not done any modding or anything and the top 3 videos were just showcasing maps that would not be possible on Console because of budget limits (fair enough the bottom 2 were single player mods - I have not even played or seen those)

I will also point out that the PC version of Far Cry 3 allowed 18 players online compared to 14 on console - I am a console gamer who has a PC so my heart is more on the console side, depending on what Far Cry 5 offers will depend on what platform I choose because if it's a repeat of FC4 with broken camera small budget then I can't do that anymore and I don't see many coming back who snubbed FC4 - just saying.

AW LOST SOLDIER
08-20-2017, 05:58 PM
That's fair enough but I am sure you would use extra assets if you could use them, similar to the Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon DLC that came out only on Consoles I believe - it isn't much different really because you download the MOD (on consoles you download the small file) but instead the console injects the file where it has to go - on PC you just place the file manually and that's it very simple. (So really if Ubisoft had wanted they could easily have added in these extras as DLC)

Sure they are unofficial but work perfectly for everyone, everything works for EVERYONE so even if you don't have a MOD installed you can download the map from Ubisofts Servers and it will play fine with all the new assets in the map.

Basically it gives you lots more items to use and that's it - so you saying you wouldn't want more assets if they were available to you - then at the same time putting a post up asking for Non themed Objects in the editor - some of the items I have seen skinned so for example a concrete block could be skinned as a wooden one so that's like getting a new item in itself as it would be a different size and shape.

It doesn't make sense ALS surely if you could do one click and DL new stuff on XB1 you would be at the front of the queue for this stuff - that's all I did on PC I have not done any modding or anything and the top 3 videos were just showcasing maps that would not be possible on Console because of budget limits (fair enough the bottom 2 were single player mods - I have not even played or seen those)

I will also point out that the PC version of Far Cry 3 allowed 18 players online compared to 14 on console - I am a console gamer who has a PC so my heart is more on the console side, depending on what Far Cry 5 offers will depend on what platform I choose because if it's a repeat of FC4 with broken camera small budget then I can't do that anymore and I don't see many coming back who snubbed FC4 - just saying.

We all want more items, i want more official items. mods were banned from the map jam if i recall.

Fallen-Champ
08-21-2017, 09:03 AM
I don't like keyboard & mouse for gaming, much prefer the game controller for navigation, so yea, I will be sticking with PS4 as my gaming rig.

Neither do I which is why I use a wired Xbox360 controller, I just don't want to even attempt to use the keyboard but will admit that aiming and shooting with the mouse is nice - still prefer a controller though.

Using the editor though is a lot quicker because of the extra tools and the way the gizmo works, much more precise controls, if they invested more time into the consoles editor options and what they give I am sure they could equally give some nice options to make things smoother.

Fallen-Champ
08-21-2017, 09:30 AM
I don't think that's possible Sab, on PC there are lots of shortcuts that do things at the press of a key.

The PC has SNAP which used to be in far Cry 2 this would really help speed things up especially joining items together which is often so time consuming using edit by coordinates.
Also the search function so you type DOOR and they all show up, again it worked in Far Cry 3 so would be super welcomed for FC5 if they would do that.

Obviously the budget increase is needed and I believe we will get an increase because the FC4 budget was the same as the PS3 / XB360 budget.
My thought are alwso that the rotation wheel needs looking at because it gives very little control, if it stopped on set angles that would at least help lining things up quicker - so on PC you can rotate by say 45 degree 90 degree etc so something like that would be brilliant to have, and you can do this with multiple items where on console using edit by coordinates we can only move one item - if we could move multiple selected items that way then again it would be a plus point.

The way the gizmo works on PC you have the Red / Yellow / Blue lines and if you select those the items can ONLY move in those directions so it would ne nice if they could implement that into the FC5 console editor so you can free move an item wherever you want but if you only want it to move up / down - left / right - or in / out of the screen then that could be donw.

The PC also has 4 grid choices from really tiny squares to huge ones, we get one on console - these grids are useful for working out distances between areas - it would be nice to get those included, PC had 4 grids with FC2, FC3, FC4 so expecting that to follow over with FC5 also.

It would be good to try and cram in as much as they can to the Console Version, another huge issue is the Camera and it moving out of position when following the items pivot point when the item gets selected - this didn't happen on PC also Camera Auto Scroll set to OFF does not work on console so they need addressing.

Looking at some of the creative stuff on console it is outstanding what people are achieving on those smaller budgets and with less options and little problems so with a better more robust editor it will be very interesting.

AW LOST SOLDIER
08-21-2017, 01:58 PM
I could go out today and slap 2000 cash down on gaming pc no problem, but below are the reasons i wont.

Pros and cons of pc gaming.

pros - better visuals and performance.

cons - hackers are rampant in pc gaming.
- the urge to keep upgrading
- using controllers on pc puts you at a huge disadvantage because most pc games dont have aim assist, which you need when using controllers. you will get trampled on by k&m users.
- pc gamers play way more campy
- drivers and software problems
- consoles are closing the once very wide performance gap, a good example of this will be xbox one x.

AW LOST SOLDIER
08-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Are you sure? YES / NO

I hate that question. I scream at my screen every time I see it "How stupid do you think I am you bunch of complete morons."

It would be a fair question if I was wiping the hard drive, but no, its even when trying to empty my recycle bin which I have already deleted the files to anyway. I mean seriously how arrogant are these guys.

Compare to McDonalds when you are asking for a Big Mac. Do they ever say "Are you sure". Oh wait, hang on a minute, you're right, I actually want a McCkicken Sandwich. How stupid of me.

For that reason I will never switch to PC gaming and will always abhor anything to do with Microsoft or PCs in general.

Lol i know what you mean.

AW LOST SOLDIER
08-21-2017, 03:40 PM
The great thing about console gaming is it's simplicity, just get the disc and play.

DapperHayden007
08-21-2017, 04:58 PM
- consoles are closing the once very wide performance gap, a good example of this will be xbox one x.

While I agree with most things you've said here, I disagree on this one, my mid-range of that's now 5 years old is as powerful as the Xbox One X

I see why you'd want to stay on console though, I never wanted to transition to PC because I felt like console had the stronger communities (which used to be the case) but now there's things like discord which are awesome to be able to chat to friends while editing :P

I did feel like I could make things quicker and more accurate on console though, but now I've learned everything on PC I'd say it's easier on there

But you are right though, consoles are definitely better for MP gaming imo

Fallen-Champ
08-21-2017, 06:36 PM
It will be very interesting to see how the XB1X does, sales wise it has sold out already but almost all consoles sell out on launch day, it sure appears to pack a big punch but the PS3 was always more powerful than the XB360 yet it never got close.

I would hope that they change the way things can be done with XB1X because the current set up with the XB1 is cumbersome when recording footage and getting it off the console, the menus for me are a little numb and the console is really slow when installing games, however I always felt that Live was a better service (although it is way slower downloading a game for me on Live compared to XBL) but people use headsets a lot more on that platform.

I installed GTA5 on the PS4 in about 40 mins which wasn't far off 70 gig, most games for me on PS4 are approx 20 mins to install, Halo and GOW4 took forever.
The PS4 Pro is way under-powered compared to the XB1X but then not everyone has a 4K TV right now, also the price is a lot cheaper of the PS4 Pro so if they cut it further it might be interesting.

Another cool thing Microsoft look like they are doing more cross play with the PC and have their games coming out on both platforms, Sea Of Thieves looks fantastic.
I would be interested to hear how a multiplayer game would work with PS4 & PS4 Pro and XB1 & XB1X because it would not eb fair to have one running at 30fps and the other at say 60fps so I think it will be more visual than actual frame rates on games as most games will be on both so if its on XB1X it will be on XB1.

Also Microsoft did the right thing with the Backwards Compatibility even though I rarely play any XB360 games it is good they did that where Sony brought out a crappy streaming service and charge for it.

Could be good times ahead on all 3 platforms, the Last Of Us 2 and Days Gone are going to be big, XB1X needs to get some good exclusives going.

As for PC they have the Steam catalogue which has some amazing games very cheap, the actual price of a new game is cheaper than both consoles and the price generally drops quicker on consoles and there is no PSN or XBL to pay a fee for. They also get a lot of Mods even official ones that Consoles don't get such as the Level editor in Dying Light - so I won't slate either platform they all have plus and minus points - Maybe a year from now we will get a better view of how things are going.

Canadian Beer42
08-22-2017, 03:52 PM
Did someone mention proper zombies? Because I want zombies. Not those silly demons, but proper zombies that got arms hanging off or an eyeball missing. Especially considering zombies look cooler, they can't throw knives and aren't smart enough to take cover. I'd recommend three different kinds of zombies; legless, normal, and running (when triggered)

Having animations for those zombies would be great too. Making them sit down leaned up against a wall, as well as eating a body on the ground.

Imagine the zombie riddled maps you could make. Barns filled to the brim with those nasty things or having to rummage through abandoned houses whilst fighting them. And when I said "rummaging through houses whilst fighting those things," it's true, because it seems in Far Cry 5 you can search cash registers and briefcases.

C0MMANDERC0LS0N
08-23-2017, 05:24 PM
I actually made a post about Zombie AI a few weeks ago and one of the Community Managers said they would forward it to the devs. Yes I would love Zombie AI (or at the very lease, melee only enemy AI, like Beheader's without throwing projectiles to replicate this).

Farcry 5's palette is extremely similar to the likes of what is seen in media like THE WALKING DEAD, so giving us a Zombie AI with Farcry 5 could lead to some excellent maps. Imagine having to fight through a massive horde to reach and extraction point, or having to fight against other Enemies while also dodging getting eaten. This could essentially give Console users the map editor we missed out on with Dying Light (Dying Light had a map editor, but it was only for PC and was not extremely popular).

Imagine just big free roam maps, where you are just totally immersed in the apocalypse, trying to find weapons and health.

It would be amazing if we got a "1-flag CTF" type game mode that could be used in single player- this game mode would essentially play out the objective of leaving your home/spawn, and going out into the world to retrieve the flag/supplies and then escort it back home/spawn for you and all your (AI) friends to enjoy. It would be like when the characters on THE WALKING DEAD go to make runs for supplies.

Just ideas, I've been wanting a game with a good zombie editor ever since Nazi Zombies crashed onto the scene all those years ago, and I don't have a capable enough PC to use the COD map editor.

PLZ UBI, ZOMBIEE

C0MMANDERC0LS0N
08-23-2017, 05:25 PM
I actually made a post about Zombie AI a few weeks ago and one of the Community Managers said they would forward it to the devs. Yes I would love Zombie AI (or at the very lease, melee only enemy AI, like Beheader's without throwing projectiles to replicate this).

Farcry 5's palette is extremely similar to the likes of what is seen in media like THE WALKING DEAD, so giving us a Zombie AI with Farcry 5 could lead to some excellent maps. Imagine having to fight through a massive horde to reach and extraction point, or having to fight against other Enemies while also dodging getting eaten. This could essentially give Console users the map editor we missed out on with Dying Light (Dying Light had a map editor, but it was only for PC and was not extremely popular).

Imagine just big free roam maps, where you are just totally immersed in the apocalypse, trying to find weapons and health.

It would be amazing if we got a "1-flag CTF" type game mode that could be used in single player- this game mode would essentially play out the objective of leaving your home/spawn, and going out into the world to retrieve the flag/supplies and then escort it back home/spawn for you and all your (AI) friends to enjoy. It would be like when the characters on THE WALKING DEAD go to make runs for supplies.

Just ideas, I've been wanting a game with a good zombie editor ever since Nazi Zombies crashed onto the scene all those years ago, and I don't have a capable enough PC to use the COD map editor.

PLZ UBI, ZOMBIEE

C0MMANDERC0LS0N
08-23-2017, 05:27 PM
don't know why it double posted

C0MMANDERC0LS0N
08-28-2017, 05:48 AM
perhaps, however running zombies can definitely give you a fright ;)

The reason I keeps saying I'd be happy with at least melee only be-headers is because I honestly doubt the devs are going to appease me and go to the trouble of developing an entirely new AI character just because they saw a few people asking for it on a forum. I'd imagine it'd be a lot easier for them to just duplicate one of the beheader AI and remove the 'projectile' functionality.

I come from the Halo community, where the Devs aren't that great at listening to community feedback, so I'm just used to trying to meet them as half way as possible to try and get what we want

Steve64b
09-08-2017, 09:01 AM
*edit*

In simplified terms: I'm suggesting having a simple color slider available to the editor that changes the color tone of an object, while keeping the texture intact. Make yellow bricks turn blue, green, red, anything the map builder wants! Right from the editor, without the need to make custom textures using an image editor. :)

To further customize objects, it would be cool if the editor (in some sort of 'advanced mode') would allow people to ideally customize the material slots, so objects could use another object's texture.

And/or, perhaps it's feasible to have a "hue/color" parameter for the materialslot, that will allow people to change the color of a material without changing the texture. I would imagine the map loading routine will have to be modified to build these 'hue-rotated' materials on load, so they can be used in the map during gameplay.

For example,the following mockup uses only 2 objects (wall and door), but with varying color settings:
http://steve.farcry.eu/images/HUE.gif
In this mockup, the hue of a single materialslot* is changed per frame. You can imagine how such a small feature would open up the door to doing countless variations of objects! :)

*note: the door actually uses multiple materialslots, so my change to that object may be a bit off from the actual result in-game.

Steve64b
09-09-2017, 11:14 PM
We wouldn't be able to use them though, we are all idiots apparently. It would be way too complex for Degree educated people like myself ^^Well, I actually agree with the philosophy that the editor shouldn't be too advanced for most people.

As-is now with the FC4 editor, the only 'complex' feature I think would be the "Object Properties" part for Animation Points (duration, cooldown, faction) and Ambient AI (respawn).

I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of mappers probably doesn't even touch those properties, or is even aware of it. Exposing more object properties could make the editor come across as difficult for newcomers. And perhaps even adding a MaterialOverrides feature would be too much already, adding a single HUE slider to that window would IMO be the simplest addition with the most profound effect: colorizing any object to fit the mapper's vision.