PDA

View Full Version : Plz. Help! My other computer is screwed!!!

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Sorry, I messed up on the top post. Heres the message that I wanted you guys to see:

Yesterday my computer completely froze, so I unplugged the power cord. When I tried to restart it, it shows me wether or not I want to start in safe mode, or normal, or last working settings, etc. But when I try starting windows in any mode, the hard drive makes an ordinary hard drive noise, but it repeats it again and again, and finally begins to start my computer again. I've tried selecting all the modes but none work. I'm sure it is connected to all the other parts well, so I don't know what else could be causing it. Does anyone have any idea?
Heres my system:
AMD XP 2400+
512mb PC2700 Ram
MSI KTV4-L 8x AGP mobo.
Some 40 gig. Hard drive
Pioneer DVD Player
Exact Office Peripherals 52/24/52 CD-RW
Geforce 4 MX440SE 128mb
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Message Edited on 07/18/0302:53PM by freakishly

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Sorry, I messed up on the top post. Heres the message that I wanted you guys to see:

Yesterday my computer completely froze, so I unplugged the power cord. When I tried to restart it, it shows me wether or not I want to start in safe mode, or normal, or last working settings, etc. But when I try starting windows in any mode, the hard drive makes an ordinary hard drive noise, but it repeats it again and again, and finally begins to start my computer again. I've tried selecting all the modes but none work. I'm sure it is connected to all the other parts well, so I don't know what else could be causing it. Does anyone have any idea?
Heres my system:
AMD XP 2400+
512mb PC2700 Ram
MSI KTV4-L 8x AGP mobo.
Some 40 gig. Hard drive
Pioneer DVD Player
Geforce 4 MX440SE 128mb
Thanks

Message Edited on 07/18/0302:53PM by freakishly

XyZspineZyX
07-18-2003, 07:43 PM

Heres my system:
AMD XP 2400+
512mb PC2700 Ram
MSI KTV4-L 8x AGP mobo.
Some 40 gig. Hard drive
Pioneer DVD Player
Geforce 4 MX440SE 128mb
Thanks

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 04:08 AM
Sounds like it's time to reinstall your operating system.

My system:

AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.13 Ghz
1 gig of Corsair DDR PC2700 RAM @333Mhz
Radeon 9800 Pro video w/TV out core @434, mem @720
Windows XP SP 1
Microsoft Directx 9.0a
Antec TruePower TrueBlue True480 PSU
16x Antec DVD drive
24x10x40 Plexwriter CD-RW
1 Westerndigital 40 gig harddrive, master
1 Westerndigital 100 gig hdd, slave
XFX KT400 ALH Via mainboard, 4-in-1 4.48

Additional PC version help:

http://scmod.splintercellsource.com

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Crap. I don't know much about computers though. Will I have to wipe my hard drive? Also I was thinking, I never made a boot disk, so could I use my other computer with XP to make a boot disk?

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 07:31 PM
No, for XP you don't need a boot disk. All you have to do is boot off the XP cd. To answer your other question, yes it will wipe your hard drive clean because you must format to reinstall. Make back ups of all your important files by burning them to cd or any other forms at your disposal. After you've done that, put your XP cd in the drive and reboot by booting off your cd rom. You may have to enable this in the bios. Click delete during boot to bring up your bios menu. Look through all the menus until you find the setting for inital boot device and set it as your cdrom.

When it boots off the cd, it'll load a bunch of files and ask you if you want to repair or install a new copy of Win. XP on your computer. Select install a new copy. Follow the onscreen instructions, and it'll ask you if you want to partion your hdd. Do it by selecting your hdd you want to install it on and press f. You can either do a quick format or a full format. Do the quick one because it's quick. After this is done, the cd will load a bunch of files onto your hdd and reboot. This time, don't boot off the cdrom, just boot from the hdd.

After it boots up, it'll ask you a bunch of questions, give them an answer, they're pretty much self explanitory. You'll also need the cd key that came with your os cd. If you don't have it, look on your computer until you find a small white sticker that looks like a cd key. It may be on the outside of your case or on the inside of the door, just find it. Type it in during the prompt and XP will do the rest. After the os is cleanly installed and you open it up to home, just reinstall your drivers (put on your back up cd), SP1 and directx 9.0a.

Then reinstall your games and everything should run like a dream.

My system:

AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.13 Ghz
Windows XP SP 1
Microsoft Directx 9.0a
16x Antec DVD drive
1 Westerndigital 40 gig harddrive, master
1 Westerndigital 100 gig hdd, slave
XFX KT400 ALH Via mainboard, 4-in-1 4.48

Additional PC version help:

http://scmod.splintercellsource.com

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the help and the quick reply.

XyZspineZyX
07-19-2003, 07:59 PM
No problem, always glad to be of help /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

My system:

AMD XP 2400+ @ 2.13 Ghz
Windows XP SP 1
Microsoft Directx 9.0a
16x Antec DVD drive