PDA

View Full Version : The Gladiator and Highlander's Trailers

Archo-Vax
08-10-2017, 07:26 PM
Alright, my pretties! I have come calling, once again! Those of you who have seen my previous thread will know why I'm here, but those of you who don't, read this first: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1721198-Regarding-The-Highlander-s-Weird-Faction-Choice-Reiterating-on-For-Honor-Lore

Read it? Probably not, but whatever.

Those who followed my example will have kept an ear out during the Trailers. That lore-related dialogue is there for a reason.

For the readers that didn't pay attention and were too engrossed by the video footage... you disappoint me.

First up: Gladiators.

The first few sentences describe arena combat. I can only assume that it's mostly similar to real-world Romans, since there isn't anything else quite like it to draw on. How a Gladiator's ultimate fate would be up to (primarily) the crowd. How Gladiators are entertainers, first, and trained killers, second. Gladiator fights rarely result in the death of an opponent, and having to constantly retrain new fighters after every bout would be expensive. Gladiators were also, mostly, slaves (the romans didn't discriminate based on race- their slaves were almost always, either, war prisoners from conquest, or orphans kidnapped off the street. Sometimes not even orphans- a slave trader might simply just kidnap a few kids) who, if they won enough fights, would be granted freedom.

There was one gladiator, named "Flamma", who was a Syrian war-prisoner who fought in the arena so much (for 13 years) that he earned the Wooden Sword on four different occasions- the key to his freedom.
But he never took the opportunity, and instead chose to continue fighting. Until he died of old age.

Holden says that the "thrill of the fight has waned". And asks himself how these Gladiators would fare on a proper battlefield. The way he phrases that makes me think that Gladiator fights are, probably, commonplace in modern Ashfeld- even during the Seven-Year-War. The Iron Legion culture must have inherited Gladiator fights from the Centurion's dynasty.
Holden says that the Gladiators have "risen the ranks of fighters and have run out of challengers (what does he mean by "ran out"? Are there literally not enough fighters, anymore, or are these specific Gladiators simply deemed to skilled to fight in the arena? Gladiators are on the level of other Hero classes, so maybe it would be like fighting one of the Grunts/Captains from Skirmish or Dominion).... it is now time for Gladiators to fight for something greater than themselves".

So, what does this tell us? Well, the Iron Legion, in the Seven-Year War, is officially pulling out all the stops, and sending blood-sport entertainers into the battlefield. I suspect that the intensity of the Faction War will only increase, before it eases up.

But... all of this raises the question. Where did these Gladiators come from? The Iron Legion doesn't ever reference having slaves (they obviously understand the concept, as Apollyon refers to how, in Viking society: to be taken prisoner, is to become your captor's slave. Whereas, in Iron Legion culture, to be taken prisoner is seen as a mercy. For the Samurai, it's a display of disrespect / dishonor). The Conquerors are simply referred to as "conscripted criminals". And in the Gladiator trailer, they are never referred to as slaves, criminals, or POWs. So... anything to add to this Ubisoft? This IS YOUR property, after all.

Next: The Highlanders:

One of the first things said about them is: "Ancient alliances have kept their land safe, but their oaths have come due. They join our war out of obligation.". So... right off the bat- confirmation of the Highlanders being mercenaries.

I have a hunch that it happened somewhat like this... remember how I said that, when Mount Rust erupted, it drove Valkenheim into a famine, and forced the Viking Clans to band together and start raiding for food? Well... I have a feeling that the Highlanders have some kind of role in it. The Vikings would have been reluctant to go after the Iron Legion after finally getting their sh*t together following the Thousand-Year-War.

So, what if they had actually gone scouting elsewhere, first? Meaning... perhaps the Viking Clans tried to invade and pillage the Highlander's territory before going after the Iron Legion? I assume that the Highlanders come from, either north of Valkenheim, or on an island off of Valkenheim's coast. Perhaps, the Vikings weren't quite able to manage taking the Highlanders down. Anything that can stand up to the might of all of Valkenheim's children would definitely have to be formidable, especially if that population is small enough to go unnoticed by the other three Factions (Knight, Samurai, and Shinobi. I'm not including the Centurions, because it's not entirely clear if they actually have a full-blown civilization buried in the wilds of Ashfeld. Or just a few, untouched farming communities. Or maybe a single city-state).

So... recognizing of their battle prowess... what if the Vikings struck a deal with these Highlanders as... insurance? That: if raiding Ashfeld backfired for them, they could simply call on the Highlanders as back up. So, in exchange for keeping the Highlander's society hidden and safe from the outside world, the Highlanders (among a few other things, presumably) would have to sign a defensive pact with the totality of the Viking Clans. Remember, at the time, all the Viking Clans were united. Separate, but united.

Of course, raiding Ashfeld didn't blow up in their faces. At first- for a few decades. Then, Apollyon showed up, revamped the Iron Legion's military with her Blackstones, kicked Valkenheim's door in, and incited war amongst the Viking Clans.

Stigandr (or it may be a different voice actor, not sure) says one last thing which caught my attention. "The elements battering their lands have made them strong. War has made them deadly". So... the Highlanders have gotten into a few wars of their own? With... other civilizations not including the Iron Legion, Viking Clans, Dawn Empire, Shinobi Enclaves, or Centurion City-State?

... bugger.

watsonclan335u
08-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Wow but really, who cares?

Tundra 793
08-10-2017, 09:39 PM

I kinda do. I find lore adds extra incentive to care about a game, not just logging in to win and improve your stats.

UbiInsulin
08-10-2017, 10:04 PM

I've really enjoyed both of Archo-Vax's threads, fwiw.

@Archo-Vax Unfortunately I don't have the answer to how much the FH gladiators' story overlaps with the historical Roman gladiators. History is an obvious inspiration for the FH classes, but the team is not necessarily beholden to it.

The Gladiator gameplay trailer seemed to indicate that they had been quite successful in the arena and were looking for a new challenge. Michael Jordan left the Chicago Bulls to try baseball for a year, didn't he? :P

Archo-Vax
08-10-2017, 10:07 PM
I've really enjoyed both of Archo-Vax's threads, fwiw.

@Archo-Vax Unfortunately I don't have the answer to how much the FH gladiators' story overlaps with the historical Roman gladiators. History is an obvious inspiration for the FH classes, but the team is not necessarily beholden to it.

The Gladiator gameplay trailer seemed to indicate that they had been quite successful in the arena and were looking for a new challenge. Michael Jordan left the Chicago Bulls to try baseball for a year, didn't he? :P

So.... nothing we haven't already figured out?