PDA

View Full Version : Gear rarity concerns

CandleInTheDark
08-09-2017, 01:05 AM
I don't like to be spreading negativity, but I have kind of felt this needed addressing for a while and it has kind of been brought more into focus with the free to play weekend.

When I started playing For Honor, a character required three reputation points or sixty levels to start getting drops for top ranked armour. I don't know the accuracy of this but I heard somewhere it is over 30,000 xp per reputation point, I believe a completed game of dominion drops somewhere around 600 (and obviously there are orders). When I started playing, rep three seemed a long way off but I figured I could get there easily enough over time.

Then last season came around and put into place a new rarity which meant that people needed five rep points or one hundred levels. Fortunately, I had my main already well on the way to rep 6 at that point and I wanted to get others to rep 5 so I felt it was no big problem, I did however decide I needed to get my main to rep 7 the moment max gear stat people got a new colour. I had started getting other characters up a rep point at a time, I worked a few to rep 2 and decided from there I am going to push towards the top gear set. I must confess I have an irrational fear (little strong word) that ubisoft are going to listen to the single pick folk eventually without changing matchmaking and I am going to spend most of my games in grey or blue gear (I know this is either unlikely or a good while off going by answers from the ubi reps, like I said, irrational), I have one character at rep 7, one nearly at 6, three more I am working on at 2, I might take to the gladiator, if Huntress and Ronin are a thing in season 4 I might take one or both of them (and even if they aren't those I might take one or both of whatever the new ones are if I like them) and I still need to find a heavy I can stand to spend that much time on for the times I see my team fill with squishy characters (I also think that if pug groups get ranked 4v4 having an assassin, a vanguard, a heavy and a disabler hybrid if none of your others fill the disabler role will be important).

Then we had announced Legendary armour which is seven rep points or 140 levels so more than twice where it started, and this is all assuming you have the crates and steel to buy armour pieces (I do). And here is the thing, three rep points seemed daunting but not impossible and I know that I am going to get the characters I want to 7, I am going to be here for the long term, I also know that they are increasing rewards but to a new player coming in on the free to play weekend, it now looks a lot more daunting than it did for me at the start. To put this into perspective, I have between my peacekeeper and warden 12 rep points, when I started, this would have outfitted four characters into top level gear, it now won't manage two. When I get my next rep point, I will have 21 rep points in total, when I started, that would have gotten seven into top level gear, now it will only get three there.

In the video last week they said the reason was so that people who were already in epic armour would have something else to do. I have two arguments against that making a new gear rarity necessary. The first relates to players who will play more than one character, in November there will be eighteen characters for people to play with if they feel they need a target to get gear for a character. The other is that I know there are people who only play one character, here is the thing though, I have never once seen a post saying I wish there was another gear rarity, I have seen plenty asking for the reputation cap to be raised (which yes they do this season) and honestly the time that went into new gear sets could have gone into new per level rewards. And for the latter set of people this is a none starter of an argument in any case, I have spread my time over five characters and my main is still at the point I just have to open crates on Tuesday.

I want to end this by saying this isn't a rant or a damn you ubisoft kind of thing, I have faith in the game, I think with dedicated servers we will have a more stable experience, I think characters will be balanced over time, they could have made this a different setting for a Dynasty Warriors style game, I kind of expected balance to be skewed to begin with because this is something unique, but I felt it was something that needed saying that maybe Ubisoft need to consider for more than season 4 not making the road towards being on an equal footing with players who have been at it from the beginning all the more longer.

Mia.Nora
08-09-2017, 01:20 AM
Well put. I have 190k steel and 50+ crates with 30~ rep over the board; so in terms of gearing problems only concern is dismantling the unique pieces I hoarded so far to make up space (damn you 60 item limit!!)

On the other hand, the only reason I do not have FH both on PC and PS is because of the very exact problem you mentioned new comes would have had; gearing/repping up. When you combine this with how expensive all ornaments, emotes and effects; with ever increasing number of characters available; it strikes as an impossibility.

Now on top of that all, from a new player's perspective add in the fact that there is no actual matchmaking system that protects them from 50+ rep accounts with 180score maxed geared players; this becomes the biggest push away for them. If anything this feels like an MMO where arena is open to all levels and gears with no actual matchmaking or rankings.

UbiJurassic
08-09-2017, 01:35 AM
Thansk for bringing this to our attention, CandleInTheDark. I definitely see the logic in your post and will certainly bring your concerns to the attention of the team.

nufrancis
08-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Because this is thread related to gear, I want to share my situation..

I have 4 main: Kensei (rep 9), PK (rep 8), Nobs (rep7), and Warlord (rep 5)

here is the thing... I still could not max my gear level of my mains. I tend to buy new gear after leveling up my reputation and the max gear level I got only level 22, thus I stuck with 120 something gear level. Mr Candle here already has max gear level since rep 7 and I also saw many players with rep below me already got max level.

Is there any trick to get level 24 gears??

Mia.Nora
08-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Because this is thread related to gear, I want to share my situation..

I have 4 main: Kensei (rep 9), PK (rep 8), Nobs (rep7), and Warlord (rep 5)

here is the thing... I still could not max my gear level of my mains. I tend to buy new gear after leveling up my reputation and the max gear level I got only level 22, thus I stuck with 120 something gear level. Mr Candle here already has max gear level since rep 7 and I also saw many players with rep below me already got max level.

Is there any trick to get level 24 gears??

Upgrade with salvage and steel. One of the reason people say this is money bait, since it scales pretty harsh with costs near cap.

Knight_Raime
08-11-2017, 09:39 AM
To be honest I wish gear rarity was available at all levels. and that just the higher in rep you went the more likely you saw the better end gear.
I also wish you could use salvage to rank up gear to comparable stats of better rarity gear. and be able to take it to end game.
That would solve my fashion problem where I enjoy some of the asthetics of the lower end gear but can't put it's look on higher rarity gear. or vise versa.

I have over 6k salvage just because I never upgrade anything since there isn't really a point till you can gain access to the best gear.
well if we technically always had a shot at end game gear regardless of rep level and we could power level any rarity level of gear to eventually end game that would not only solve fashion issues but the issues of extra salvage and the drag of trying to rep someone up so high.

but maybe i'm in the dark here since I play a lot of characters. I really only call cent my main at the moment just because he's got the most rep points. but not by much.

Horus-31
08-11-2017, 10:22 AM
Then we had announced Legendary armour which is seven rep points or 140 levels so more than twice where it started, and this is all assuming you have the crates and steel to buy armour pieces (I do).

And for those of us who are a little short on steel and won't buy or open crates until all five items are "light green", we'll have to wait until Reputation 9 to get our max gear (assuming the gear tiers progression follows the same pattern). That's a lot of XP to grind...

CandleInTheDark
08-11-2017, 10:38 AM
And for those of us who are a little short on steel and won't buy or open crates until all five items are "light green", we'll have to wait until Reputation 9 to get our max gear (assuming the gear tiers progression follows the same pattern). That's a lot of XP to grind...

Yeah that was point I was making, I am in the position I am in because I never open crates for anything less than top gear, others won't be, especially if they are really needing higher gear because they are running into max gear stat people the whole time..

Horus-31
08-11-2017, 11:22 PM
Yeah that was point I was making, I am in the position I am in because I never open crates for anything less than top gear, others won't be, especially if they are really needing higher gear because they are running into max gear stat people the whole time..
I have the same concern. In my experience (on PC and as an average player), there is at least one hero with 144 gear score in most dominion matches I play. If new players run into 180 gear score heroes, they are going to have a hard time, even with the new gear stat curve they have implemented in Season 2.

I heard somewhere it is over 30,000 xp per reputation point.
It's 26 550 XP for Reputation 1 and 33 000 XP for each reputation level after that. So Reputation 7 requires 224 550 XP and Reputation 9 requires 290 550 XP. In my experience, by playing about an hour a day in average and completing every contract and daily orders, you can get a Reputation point per week. That means a new player (or anyone who wants to level up a new hero) who has that amount of free time for the game is about two months away from getting top gear.

I like the gameplay of the game a lot and I would recommend it to friends (especially with the -50% weekend), but it wouldn't be fair not to tell them how much grinding they'll have to do if they want top gear stats.

CandleInTheDark
08-11-2017, 11:41 PM
I have the same concern. In my experience (on PC and as an average player), there is at least one hero with 144 gear score in most dominion matches I play. If new players run into 180 gear score heroes, they are going to have a hard time, even with the new gear stat curve they have implemented in Season 2.

It's 26 550 XP for Reputation 1 and 33 000 XP for each reputation level after that. So Reputation 7 requires 224 550 XP and Reputation 9 requires 290 550 XP. In my experience, by playing about an hour a day in average and completing every contract and daily orders, you can get a Reputation point per week. That means a new player (or anyone who wants to level up a new hero) who has that amount of free time for the game is about two months away from getting top gear.

I like the gameplay of the game a lot and I would recommend it to friends (especially with the -50% weekend), but it wouldn't be fair not to tell them how much grinding they'll have to do if they want top gear stats.

Yeah that sort of timing fits my experience. I spend a bit more than an hour a day, I wind up with maybe a rep and a half to two a week, I started off quite slowly and sped up to the point I am nearly at the rep a week since we started stage (20 rep in around 26 weeks) though that will still take a while. This is also why I argue so strongly against any character ban or single pick system, it might have been ok when it was rep three but those wanting a way to stop people playing characters they dislike rather than engaging with the devs and helping find ways to fix it are asking people to grind around four months before they can be sure of having someone in top gear (with a ban system), if they went single pick with the way it is done in brawl you are looking at seven or eight months. With both, as some people have requested, around nine to ten months, Nine to ten months of constantly being in lower gear than your opponents is not going to make people stick around with the game.

The only way they could really do anything like this fairly, and this would receive backlash from some of the more established players (ironically likely most of them players that want these measures) is to increase xp gain to such a degree that people will get to rep 7 in the time it took to get to rep 3 in season 1.

Wolf-Heathen
08-11-2017, 11:53 PM
Stat gear should have never been introduced into a "fighting game" like this. It's just a carrot to keep people playing because, quite frankly, the game's features are extremely shallow.

I'd rather they took at the time and resources they spend on balancing stats and just give us better looking armor and more customization options.

CandleInTheDark
08-11-2017, 11:57 PM
Stat gear should have never been introduced into a "fighting game" like this. It's just a carrot to keep people playing because, quite frankly, the game's features are extremely shallow.

I'd rather they took at the time and resources they spend on balancing stats and just give us better looking armor and more customization options.

Yeah I would rather gear stats weren't a thing and a new rep point just got you cooler looking armour. I kind of expected the game to be shallow, most fighters are, it is why they don't do so well as they used to now people are always moving on to the next new thing leaving behind a smaller more dedicated player base. Making it hard for people to get to parity with those who have been here for six months is a big mistake in my view.