PDA

View Full Version : The F2P weekend aka all you can eat buffet...

AnEnticingSquid
08-08-2017, 01:11 AM
So FH has finally made it to the midlife crisis of videogames eh? That was fast... Now I'm sure the devs have worked really hard on the matchup algorithm but let's be honest... It doesn't work. I am constantly getting paired with rep 0-10s all the time and I'm no pro at the game, but my raider feasts on their very life essence. It is beautiful in a way. I think it's because the game pairs you with people that have the same win loss ratio. That means if you are 5-5, you can get paired with someone that is 5000-5000 and the game is like, " Yep... Definitely on par."...
If I come across a new player I generally handicap myself to make it more fun for them because although they say there is 1.3m people on this game, I have my doubts... If there was then why did they remove the player count?

Regardless, the point I wanted to make is if you see these scrubs out there, please be nice... No cent kick spamming... Let them enjoy the game so we can see some new faces around here because damn... you guys are ugly...

Linnix1
08-08-2017, 01:42 AM
Or or hear me out here. We just play the game like we always do. Show them what's up in for honor and how a typical match will go and give them a honest introduction to the game so when they decide on buying the game they remember they 4 man centurions. The turtle warlord. And the instant stampede raiders. And the can choose on getting them game after knowing how it is played. Instead of lying to them and pretend that everything is sunshine and rainbows and the game has no problems what so ever. I'm saying this as if the match connections isn't gonna screw them over

Hormly
08-08-2017, 01:47 AM
just dont be a d!ck.

for most men thats not an issue

Linnix1
08-08-2017, 01:49 AM
And most people would be a **** than a lier. I won't lie to little Jimmy just so he buys the game and two months after the free weekend he see the horror this game is and regrets spending money on this when he could have gotten a different game.

TheTKOShow
08-08-2017, 01:51 AM
I will be leveling up lower toons aug 10th threw the weekend. I started half way threw season 1 and it wasn't fun going against skilled players, and frankly this game you learn something new every day.
Best time to level those lower toons

Hormly
08-08-2017, 01:57 AM
And most people would be a **** than a lier. I won't lie to little Jimmy just so he buys the game and two months after the free weekend he see the horror this game is and regrets spending money on this when he could have gotten a different game.

Just quit

UbiJurassic
08-08-2017, 02:02 AM
Or or hear me out here. We just play the game like we always do. Show them what's up in for honor and how a typical match will go and give them a honest introduction to the game so when they decide on buying the game they remember they 4 man centurions. The turtle warlord. And the instant stampede raiders. And the can choose on getting them game after knowing how it is played. Instead of lying to them and pretend that everything is sunshine and rainbows and the game has no problems what so ever. I'm saying this as if the match connections isn't gonna screw them over

Or, and hear me out on this one, we can try and welcome new players by helping them better understand the game. Doesn't mean you have to go easy on them, but also don't be that guy that goes Centurion and only targets the low reputation level player. ;)

Vakris_One
08-08-2017, 02:53 AM
This game is a tough sell to a casual player coming into it cold to be honest. Because of the way you have to invest time in learning your character in order to be any good but more significantly because the playerbase is primarily made up of grizzled veterans with rep 15+ characters who've probably been here on and off since the Alpha/Betas. When I bought the game like a month or so ago my first matches were Brawls with rep 25 players who could parry and counter everything I did like robots and never went aggressive, just wasted me with nonstop parry punishes. I had my experience from the betas to fall back on to adapt quickly and eventually 'catch up' with everyone else as to the whole turtle meta thing.

As a completely new player coming into this you will be handed your butt to you on a plate mercillessly, repeatedly and often. For the freebie noobies' sake I really hope matchmaking is up to the task of doing its darnest to match them against each other. Otherwise it will probably be a horrible experience for them. The fun of any PvP game comes from being able to play with others that are on roughly the same skill plateu as you, at least occassionaly. Nobody likes to play through completely one sided fights every single time they play, they get boring for everyone involved.

I hope there will be enough of the free weekender players flooding in so that they will be matched with each other and can have a fun time for these 3 days. Because on the occassions when For Honor gets it right (no connection problems, good matchmaking) it really is one of the most fun games out there.

Mia.Nora
08-08-2017, 03:20 AM
I agree that matchmaking is by far the worst I have ever seen in any online game. Like ever.

It probably does what you just said, looking at K/D and W/L ratio.

In LoL a Bronze player has %50~ w/l rate. A Gold player has %50~ w/l rate. A Challenger player has %50~ w/l rate. All statistical averages. Thinking those players being on the same level would be the biggest joke in LoL.

FH devs clearly are extremely inexperienced in fair matchmaking systems and algorithms, and P2P regional restrictions on top of small playerbase (1.3m lol) doesn't help either. Hopefully with dedicated servers people will come back and actual ranked modes we might see some fair fights. Until then I don't think fair matchups will be anything more than a lucky lottery ticket that comes out every now and then.

Wolf-Heathen
08-08-2017, 03:53 AM
just dont be a d!ck.

for most men thats not an issue

I agree with the sentiment Skallriger, but it would do them no favors to deceive them on how this game is played; spamiming/abusing cheesy moves, ledge kills, environment kills, roaming gank squads in dominion, emote spam. Let them get a true sense for the game, so that they can be better informed on whether or not they wish to participate in this kind of community. Presenting a false sense of what to expect is just going to make them cry out to the salt gods in rage even louder once they get the game and see that dominion is nothing more than cent kick spam in the back while two other enemies wail on you.

CandleInTheDark
08-08-2017, 10:49 AM
To be honest I am a bit uneasy over this and not for the reasons people have been talking about in here, while stability has gotten better, it might have been a better thing to wait until those servers they were talking about a couple weeks ago go in.

I am trying to get my warden another two rep points so I can put some time into the gladiator without feeling like I left what I am doing with him unfinished (working him to 7, been doing so since rep 2 where the rest of the characters I am working on are though i thought I only needed to get to 5 when I started >.>), but I won't be a jerk and if I think I am having it too easy I will move onto one of the lower gear characters I am levelling, or just take my gear off the warden all together.

RatedChaotic
08-08-2017, 01:31 PM
I'm not going to baby them. Thats whats wrong with kids these days. They are babied too much. Let the noob blood rain from the heavens.

I'm will not take it easy on newcomers. There should be better matchmaking. If getting beat by a better player forces them not to get the game. Then this game wasnt meant for them in the first place. There will be newcomers that get owned and will want to become these great players they fought. Those are the ones we want. We dont want the ones we have to baby from the start. They tend to create nerf/crying threads.

Xbox still suffers from stability issues. I see the other 2 platforms doing better with this free weekend.

Rep30Lawbro
08-08-2017, 01:40 PM
For every player that decides to be friendly and go easy on the noobs, there's gonna be 4 that don't, and then Spam Thanks! Personally I think that these new players will know what the state of the game Is like after 10 matches, and that will influence their decision. I will be nice to the new kids, but that doesn't mean easy. I still play to win, regardless on whose playing on the other team, but the first thing that's talked about when someone asks about FH is how toxic the community is. We need to stop this, I used to be one of the toxic ones but now I'm over it as it only takes the game backwards and not forwards. Be polite, show respect, and offer a tip here and there if you see players struggling.

fretti21
08-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Good thing the matchmaking works like a charm. Got to use the oportunity to practice parries for first rounds and unleash hell on the last. >.< i all ready feel sorry for all the newcomers not many will stick to this game.

Blasto95
08-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Or, and hear me out on this one, we can try and welcome new players by helping them better understand the game. Doesn't mean you have to go easy on them, but also don't be that guy that goes Centurion and only targets the low reputation level player. ;)

Or Ubisoft could make some sort or matchmaking system. you know, what any decent multiplayer game should have to ensure balance and fair games.

And before you say "We do have matchmaking!". Either A) thats an outright lie. or B) You should seriously consider firing the person that made it.

CandleInTheDark
08-08-2017, 01:58 PM
For every player that decides to be friendly and go easy on the noobs, there's gonna be 4 that don't, and then Spam Thanks! Personally I think that these new players will know what the state of the game Is like after 10 matches, and that will influence their decision. I will be nice to the new kids, but that doesn't mean easy. I still play to win, regardless on whose playing on the other team, but the first thing that's talked about when someone asks about FH is how toxic the community is. We need to stop this, I used to be one of the toxic ones but now I'm over it as it only takes the game backwards and not forwards. Be polite, show respect, and offer a tip here and there if you see players struggling.

Yeah they mentioned this on the Den last week, it is why they are tweaking privacy settings so pc folk don't have to deal with that in chat if they don't want to talk to anyone other than their group. It is something that can only really happen fully with the player base though.

JesterSyxe
08-08-2017, 02:05 PM
To be honest I am a bit uneasy over this and not for the reasons people have been talking about in here, while stability has gotten better, it might have been a better thing to wait until those servers they were talking about a couple weeks ago go in.

I am trying to get my warden another two rep points so I can put some time into the gladiator without feeling like I left what I am doing with him unfinished (working him to 7, been doing so since rep 2 where the rest of the characters I am working on are though i thought I only needed to get to 5 when I started >.>), but I won't be a jerk and if I think I am having it too easy I will move onto one of the lower gear characters I am levelling, or just take my gear off the warden all together.

The Problem is that the Servers will never be implemented. And not because UBI doesnt want to, but it is far to late. The past few days I was not able to find a single Dominion Match without at least one or two bots in it. The Playerbase, at least on PC, is so low allready that a normal 4v4 is no longer possible. The average PC Population is around 1500 most of the time less except for peak times.
The Servers wont probably there before December oder even January next year, and by then For Honor will be long forgotten on PC.

Snoop_Godly
08-08-2017, 02:20 PM
I remember when I started playing it properly after the beta. Started half way through season 1. Maybe more than a half way. All my mates are rep 10+ easy. And there is me. Level one nobushi. I felt like to cruise in that move. Live. Die. Repeat. I felt like bending over and grabbing my ankles every time I went up against veterans. Luckily though being up against those players I learnt fast. Don't learn if your up against people the same level. So in a sense it's a blessing going up against veterans. And a curse (nightmare. Blood bath/rage filled fights) also. But I learned :)

Daij.Djan
08-08-2017, 02:22 PM
So FH has finally made it to the midlife crisis of videogames eh? That was fast... Now I'm sure the devs have worked really hard on the matchup algorithm but let's be honest... It doesn't work.

Avarage Players over Steam in July and August: 1.354

Tyrjo
08-08-2017, 03:47 PM
I enjoy playing the new players. It is kind of cute to see a Raider only throw nothing but heavy chains. :o

If there is time, I toy with them a little before crushing their dreams.

High-Horse
08-08-2017, 05:40 PM
I enjoy playing the new players. It is kind of cute to see a Raider only throw nothing but heavy chains. :o

If there is time, I toy with them a little before crushing their dreams. Same, I don't have the best K/D (and it's going up) so I sometimes get matched with low Rep players (mine's only like 9 but theirs is 0 or 1). I only have about 2 days and some change played into this game since Feb but I also tend to go easy at first and then try to get style points doing things that really don't work on the Rep 40+ players that I almost always seem to get matched with.

Being a dad makes ya soft, I think. If we all took time to teach the newest noobs, this game might go somewhere.