PDA

View Full Version : Why not a actual knight character?

Ianoneshot
08-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Romans didn't exist during the medieval ages.
Why not the countless classes for actual knights with zweihanders, bastard swords, lance, mace! I mean like this

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1693657-New-knight-character

This doesn't mean I'm mad about new character. It adds spice into the game until a outbreak of unbreakable combos arrive.

thornh
08-04-2017, 09:25 PM
I know many of the dedicated Knights are not happy with Roman heroes but I think you have to look at the overall picture of what Ubi did here.

Think of the DLC heroes as cousins of the original factions. It gives the game a little more diversity than just having six characters that are very similar. The Scots are not Vikings but close neighbors and there were certainly interactions between the two cultures in history. An alternative choice to the Scots (and probably Gaelic Huntress in Season 4) would have been to go East relative to Scandinavia to the Baltic and Slavic states. The Slavic pantheon and beliefs are actually closer to Norse than the Celtic pantheon. Also the Saxons and other northern Germanic tribes would have been good. A Sutton Hoo helmet would be awesome! So, with the Knights they went a little further south and back in time. The Roman Empire had a tremendous impact on all of Europe (except Scandinavia and Scotland, Northern England).

I guess what I really find funny about the Knights is the whole "Deus Vult" thing. You know that is Latin, correct? You do know who spoke Latin, correct? If you don't it was the language of the Roman Empire. You do know that the Crusades to regain Jerusalem were for the Holy Roman Empire, correct? I don't think it is very much of a stretch to have Roman heroes be part of the Knights faction.

Just my two cents. Good luck in Season 3 everyone. I'll be out there with my Scottish cousin and his Mighty Slaymore!

Illyrian_King
08-04-2017, 10:07 PM
I am still mad about it ^^

CandleInTheDark
08-04-2017, 10:14 PM
I'm not mad, I can't say I would not have preferred something else, mind you, especially since we already had one Roman, but I will certainly be giving the gladiator a try in custom matches with a view to putting at least one rep in him.

Ianoneshot
08-04-2017, 10:52 PM
I know many of the dedicated Knights are not happy with Roman heroes but I think you have to look at the overall picture of what Ubi did here.

Think of the DLC heroes as cousins of the original factions. It gives the game a little more diversity than just having six characters that are very similar. The Scots are not Vikings but close neighbors and there were certainly interactions between the two cultures in history. An alternative choice to the Scots (and probably Gaelic Huntress in Season 4) would have been to go East relative to Scandinavia to the Baltic and Slavic states. The Slavic pantheon and beliefs are actually closer to Norse than the Celtic pantheon. Also the Saxons and other northern Germanic tribes would have been good. A Sutton Hoo helmet would be awesome! So, with the Knights they went a little further south and back in time. The Roman Empire had a tremendous impact on all of Europe (except Scandinavia and Scotland, Northern England).

I guess what I really find funny about the Knights is the whole "Deus Vult" thing. You know that is Latin, correct? You do know who spoke Latin, correct? If you don't it was the language of the Roman Empire. You do know that the Crusades to regain Jerusalem were for the Holy Roman Empire, correct? I don't think it is very much of a stretch to have Roman heroes be part of the Knights faction.

Just my two cents. Good luck in Season 3 everyone. I'll be out there with my Scottish cousin and his Mighty Slaymore!

bene, in die enim bona

Ianoneshot
08-04-2017, 10:56 PM
I actually wouldn't mind if faction armor was a thing, that would fix this whole "problem".

UbiNoty
08-04-2017, 11:32 PM
The goal is to try to have more unique heroes with different gameplay experiences - and we felt the Gladiator with the trident offered that for S3. We want to try to have thematically-related heroes for factions, but we also don't want that to be a restriction on our creative process.

CandleInTheDark
08-04-2017, 11:37 PM
On a more positive turn, this from reddit is my favourite reaction to the gladiator so far

https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/6rmycl/conk_meets_glad/

Alas my view on gladiators has always been the type that wear lycra and do battle across rings, inflatable pyramids and inside huge rolling balls rather than with swords :p

I also saw good use of the peacekeeper skiing emote on there, a warlord was so busy watching as she did it with her back to him he was still unlocked when she forward dodge pounced him.

Knight_Raime
08-05-2017, 11:52 AM
I think it's because they wanted to bring forth other warriors that have similar roots in either ideals and/or fighting styles.

I mean it would be cool to get another guy in full plate wielding like a mace for the knights. but it could be slammed as being the same old same old.

I'm personally curious on what other hero designs they have tucked away that we could potentially see if for honor gets another year of content like siege did.

CandleInTheDark
08-05-2017, 12:22 PM
In the future I'd like to see a warhammer and shield or a two handed warhammer, though both could fit vikings just as well.

Vakris_One
08-05-2017, 03:08 PM
It's interesting that so far the Samurai faction are the only ones 'keeping it in the family' so to speak. I believe the Ronin will be a dual katana wielder, or possibly a katana and a wakizashi. I wonder if they'll create some Chinese, Korean or Mongol warriors if For Honor gets a 2nd year of DLC?

RatedChaotic
08-05-2017, 03:55 PM
The new heroes dont bother me at all. But those new emotes oh my god. Really? Golfing, weight lifting, and boat rowing. Lmao. I wont buy any of those. They look too silly for me. So much for being bada$$ when your rowing in a pretend boat. Sry but my Conq does not know what a skateboard is..

CandleInTheDark
08-05-2017, 03:57 PM
The new heroes dont bother me at all. But those new emotes oh my god. Really? Golfing, weight lifting, and boat rowing. Lmao. I wont buy any of those. They look too silly for me.

I saw a good use for the peacekeeper's skiing on reddit, a warlord was so busy watching as she did it with her back to him, he was still unlocked when he ate forward dodge heavy, deep gouge and guardbreak.

Knight_Raime
08-05-2017, 08:42 PM
I saw a good use for the peacekeeper's skiing on reddit, a warlord was so busy watching as she did it with her back to him, he was still unlocked when he ate forward dodge heavy, deep gouge and guardbreak.

supposedly raiders rowing the boat dodges attacks and protects him from being GBed.

Alustar.
08-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Anyone else feel after watching the new PK emote that it would have been funnier to give her some 20s flapper dance instead? Or is it just me -_-

Also new emotes are trash, come one now. Seriously. None of that makes sense. Noty you tell them shame on you for this!

CandleInTheDark
08-05-2017, 08:58 PM
I don't really like the anachronism emotes like the sports ones but eh some people like them so well enough. I still want an Ali Shuffle for the gladiator :p

SirPizzario
08-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Out of place gladiator wannabee #1:

Give him scalemail.
Give him small cavalry shield.
Give him arming sword.

Change animations for weapon holding in left hand, attacking with it, etc.
BOOM! Dismounted knight! Bashes people with small shield, jumps on them with arming sword, etc.

Out of place gladiator wannabee #2:

Give him shorspear.
Give him quilted cloth armor and pants.
Give him proper helmet.

This time you will have to tweak execution animations only.
BOOM! Man-at-arms! This term doesnt have a real definitive meaning anyway about equipment and fighting style.

So dear Ubi, fire your "creative" director and bring the magnificent beardo back.

#FireRoman

JesterSyxe
08-15-2017, 10:58 PM
Romans didn't exist during the medieval ages.

The Roman Empire was founded 27 years BEFORE Christ. Your level of Education is alarming. Please try to get some Education, maybe go to a College for a few lessons or attend a private School or get a Teacher that comes to your home. You are in desperate need of some basic, fundamental knowledge.

Arekonator
08-15-2017, 11:24 PM
Eastern Roman Empire existed well into the 15th century. Just saying.

Stahlrusse
08-15-2017, 11:38 PM
The Romans that are in For Honor did not exist in the Medieval Ages.

Now it is a correct statement. :)

Auztinito
08-15-2017, 11:42 PM
I'm sorry but gladiator is just a quicker centurian.Heavy hitting unblockables,pin move,and has soft feintable GB.Unique,my ***.

Lewdkeeper2.0
08-15-2017, 11:50 PM
I'm inclined to agree, the Knights have some serious thematic clash going on right now. If they do another year of DLC, I'd like to see a paladin-esque character with a hammer. Or maybe a nobleman-type hero with a rapier and light armor. There's so many possibilities that fit the theme of the Knights, I'm not sure why they resorted to Romans so quickly.