PDA

View Full Version : Map editor exposure

AW LOST SOLDIER
08-04-2017, 12:31 PM
I think it would be a great idea if the map editor had more exposure like splashing it over the games case front or back. the map editor feature needs to be front and centre this time around. nice bright visible graphics displaying map editor info. you could have text at the bottom of the front cover saying - campaign sp & co-op, multiplayer pvp, map editor. it could added to posters, trailers. the map editors low popularity over the years is down to having low exposure imo.

ImGonaG3tUsucka
08-07-2017, 09:45 PM
I could never understand why Ubisoft never seemed to properly promote a big selling feature for the game. The ability to design your own level in the game or design a battlefield is something 99 percent of the other games can't do.

I really hope Ubisoft puts an effort into making this feature well known. I do have to thank the community Developers for making this map jam possible. I have seen some editors from the older Far Cry series go out and buy Far Cry 4 just to participate in the map Jam. So there is an audience for the IGE and if players can make Single player and Multiplayer maps. I'm sure with the right advertising and other features that support the editor. Like hosting multiple Maps, having popular game modes and the ability to find maps to your liking along with promoting well made high-effort Maps. It will be a SURE HIT!!!

AW LOST SOLDIER
09-14-2017, 03:35 PM
Sorry for the bump but to be honest its one of the features that most of the competition simply don't have.

For sure it should be promoted - probably more that the actual campaign which everyone knows will be sound.

And btw AW - have you thought about doing a FURY type map (from the film Fury) where you are stuck in a tank (or cannot go outside too far) and waves of enemies come to kill you? I bet you could make the perfect WW2 setting for that.

I still haven't seen that movie yet, but sounds like a good idea for a map.

GhostWind905
09-15-2017, 02:40 AM
The editor is pretty much the main reason I buy FarCry games. There is so much potential with the editor that Ubisoft has been overlooking. Look at how many people are basically begging them to include such a variety of features. If done properly, Ubisoft could totally destroy their competitors with a game that has something for everybody. The story mode is always done with exceptional quality, and this is obviously their area of interest. The multiplayer structure in FarCry 2 was probably the best out of the series. after that there were just too many issues that made it more difficult than it was worth to continue playing. There are other games that have map editor features, and I also have some of those as well. What makes the FarCry editor stand out is that it is very user friendly. The FarCry terrain editing is probably the most user friendly out of all the others I have tried. This is the foundation to any map you make. If you can't create a believable terrain, the rest will go unnoticed. I have been wondering if it was possible to include content into the editor from previous versions of FarCry? Since Ubisoft owns the content, they could open up the content for the editor, assuming it is compatible. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to do this. The resources that Ubisoft can pull from are almost unlimited when it comes to who would be willing, free of charge, to give input and feedback. Many fans of the FarCry series are themselves very fluent in coding and game / software creation. If they utilized this "free" resource, it would allow them more time to focus on other areas. I would love to see more communication between the dev team and the fans. If you give the fans what they are basically begging for, not only would you guarantee long term customers, but this attention would also draw in a lot of new customers as well. To me, FarCry has SOOOOOO much potential, and always has. I hope Ubisoft is willing to see just how powerful this franchise can become.

Fallen-Champ
09-15-2017, 09:03 AM
And btw AW - have you thought about doing a FURY type map (from the film Fury) where you are stuck in a tank (or cannot go outside too far) and waves of enemies come to kill you? I bet you could make the perfect WW2 setting for that.

Already been done on PS4 have you played the map ? it's pretty cool.

Steve64b
09-15-2017, 09:27 AM
I have been wondering if it was possible to include content into the editor from previous versions of FarCry? Since Ubisoft owns the content, they could open up the content for the editor, assuming it is compatible.Some PC mods actually unlock remnants of Far Cry 3 objects found in FC4. Problem with some (most) of the older objects, is that they don't age well. Low polygon count, texture detail and draw distance are factors that limit their use.

If any content would be ported to FC5 (or just its Map Editor really), it'd be content from FC4 (and/or Primal) I think. And perhaps some of the cinematic objects from FC3, if they have enough detail & their draw distance gets tweaked.

I for one think it'd be a GREAT idea to include all of FC4's resources. As that would probably allow mappers to import their old FC4 maps into the FC5 editor, giving them a great starting point for new maps. After all, they spent time creating their maps for FC4 already, it'd be awesome if quality maps like that get a second life in FC5. And perhaps even as MP map. :)

It'd also make sure the custom FC5 maps will have a flying start with quality maps, setting a good example for other mappers to follow. Instead of these plain default textured rhino pits. ;)

ducain23
09-24-2017, 03:05 AM
Coming from Halo and their promotion of Forge... Ubisoft needs to do the same. Halo has always promoted Forge like crazy and now with the popularity of Halo 5's Forge... they promote it even more. Ubisoft needs to promote the crap out of the map editor and have a major step forward in features in Far Cry 5's Map Editor. I really can't wait to see what is in store and hopefully the editor will be getting a lot of coverage before and after release!