PDA

View Full Version : Highlander gender locked

smiffyswar
08-03-2017, 09:56 PM
Very Lame. Scottish women are the toughest, have you seen them out drinking on a weekend? This is my first post complaining about any thing as very disappointed. As a unique character to be Scottish they should have given the option there I think.

SikanderAzam
08-03-2017, 10:01 PM
They should all be gender locked except for Valkyrie. Because Valkyries are like female samurai and knights in the sense that they didn't exist.

Get triggered!

Also, I liked "have you seen them out drinking on a weekend." Infallible logic.

smiffyswar
08-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Have you not seen Highlander the raven? and the drinking was a joke about how tough they in general. And is there logic in this game anyway most are from different parts of history.

SikanderAzam
08-03-2017, 10:25 PM
Have you not seen Highlander the raven? and the drinking was a joke about how tough they in general. And is there logic in this game anyway most are from different parts of history.

I'm just trolling you because there are so many problems with this game and you only felt it necessary to complain about a minor aesthetic complaint. And I don't think there's a correlation between excessive drinking and being "tough."

Knight_Raime
08-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Not really too miffed about it. valk is our "tough" lady sterotype.

Tundra 793
08-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Just have to point out; these "Highlanders" aren't any more Scottish than the "Samurai" are Japanese or the "Vikings" Scandinavian.

It's a fantasy game dude.

BudgetParrot118
08-03-2017, 11:57 PM
I have to disagree there because they use the labels accordingly and also shoot for historical accuracy within the characters to some degree so all the other stuff is for plot sake I mean after all if it wasn't Samurai Knights and Vikings then it would have its a pill and it just be f****** stupid and like every other Fantasy game the fact that they're digging through people's ancestry and using real people it's kind of interesting no more Superman and all this other stupid s***

Tundra 793
08-04-2017, 12:08 AM
I have to disagree there because they use the labels accordingly and also shoot for historical accuracy within the characters to some degree so all the other stuff is for plot sake I mean after all if it wasn't Samurai Knights and Vikings then it would have its a pill and it just be f****** stupid and like every other Fantasy game the fact that they're digging through people's ancestry and using real people it's kind of interesting no more Superman and all this other stupid s***

The only historical aspects of For Honor is that the starting weapons and armor kinda looks like stuff used in real life. That's about it.

The backstories of all the classes are fiction, the plot line is fiction, the cultures are fiction. We're just playing characters based off of the popular and stereotypical representations of 3 different cultures.
I'd be pretty surprised if the Highlander spoke in game with anything resembling a modern Scottish accent, Braveheart style.

UbiNoty
08-04-2017, 12:12 AM
Some heroes are genderlocked, and some aren't. It's a hero design choice made by the team and we try to balance it out between all the original and DLC heroes. And I don't foresee this changing anytime soon.

This is a reminder to not call each other names and remember to treat each other in a respectful manner. :) Please remember to abide by the forum rules (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1181763-Forum-Rules) + code of conduct. (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1571524-Code-of-Conduct)

Knight_Raime
08-04-2017, 12:18 AM

Vast majority of the game is not 100% accurate.
As an example a majority of the moves that the characters can use are over done visually for theatrical reasons.
the reason things seem believable in for honor is because our culture has popularized certain ideas of these things.

But if you actually go through history and look into it a lot of stuff in for honor isn't historically accurate. for honor is meant to seem believable. Not meant to be historically sound.

smiffyswar
08-04-2017, 04:13 AM
That's fine my original point was just a shame you didn't decide to choose the highlander, as a female version with a great big sword I think would have looked wild. But then that's just my 2 cents.

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 05:00 AM
The only historical aspects of For Honor is that the starting weapons and armor kinda looks like stuff used in real life. That's about it.

The backstories of all the classes are fiction, the plot line is fiction, the cultures are fiction. We're just playing characters based off of the popular and stereotypical representations of 3 different cultures.
I'd be pretty surprised if the Highlander spoke in game with anything resembling a modern Scottish accent, Braveheart style.

don't do the developers justice here at all. The amount of historically sound things that they do have in the game honestly outweigh the things that don't I seriously suggest you look into Nordic history me being a folk van a- asatruar I can say they hit it a lot of it head-on.

Now personally I don't really care if the Highlander has a female option or not it really doesn't matter to me it wouldn't change my feelings towards the game at all.

I guess the reason I took opposition to that stance is because I do feel that people do need to somewhat get over themselves when it comes to playing a game and stop trying to interject their irrelevant selves into the game and try to actually take it for what it is especially in for Honor settings I think it is interesting and I honestly won't more customization when it comes to characters.

When it comes to culture I just wish people had a little bit more respect for that to the extent of they don't want to change the characters total identity just because they think they should be in it.

But that's just my opinion I think there's a lot of disrespect when it comes to people's culture especially when it comes to people of European descent it's outright pretty much okay to say the most racist vile things walk all over their (our) culture be blatantly racist towards our culture and it's totally f****** fine.

And if such changes were made in a vice versa situation I can guarantee you that it seems people of other ethnic Origins can get away with voicing their displeasure a lot easier than people of European descent in culture.

now I don't mean to get on such a hot-button subject so I'm going to stop there but my point is the valkyrie is a female and even though I'm a male I can be outside of myself and play her as her and appreciate that fact because valkries are females. End of story.

I really don't think for the most part any males have an issue with gender locking but I think that's because a lot of males I see honestly pick female alternate versions in their loadouts.

And again let me apologize in the forums behalf for the asinine remarks that I just now read the stuff before I posted that other people had said and they were quite a bunch of inciting remarks if you ask me. just saying they were trying to trigger you and set you off and that type of incitement is uncalled for and they should be ashamed of themselves and conduct themselves in a better manner when expressing their opinion to where it's not so rash, imposing, and inciteful.

Now to get back on the topic of detail
for one Warlords Lemae
armor for two using a all leather canteen
for three the use of seax knifes
For for using a wolf as an ornament that ultimately Berserkers were known to use wolf pelts and also bear pelts
For four Vikings norsemw had leg wraps they were leather they were also made out of fabric as well such as a jute, cotton, and will.
For five the use of tunics on Warlord
For 6 the use of chainmail which was invented by the Norsemen and the Germanic cultures but blatantly are in typical Frank terms invented by the the Vikings unfortunately for the sake of accurately pinpointing who made what it's kind of hard to because the Vikings incompass honestly a lot of different indo European cultures Danes hurts Saxons frisians, and the rus. Just to name seriously a few

The only one that's kind of a stretch is Raider he's the Oddball in some degree he has no clothing on walks around bare-chested and is kind of a kin to a gigantic Berserker more or less in his behavior and choice of Bearskin basically no armor to little armor in battle.

But when it comes to the beserker and the warlord and also the Valkyries and now the Highlander they're pretty ******* historically accurate. Some of berserker armor I do feel could be a little bit more realistic But ultimately a lot of it just seems like a spin off of Lemae armor and the use of heavy textiles as padding for armor

Fox even down to their boots they got it down pat there are a little things here and there that seem to have like a little guess you could say theatrical twist to it but ultimately Berserker is shirt for example I wish that kind of was like a tunic and maybe it was cut open a little bit but not split in half all the way down. But nonetheless I still think that's a tunic as well and I believe there's another outfit he has where he actually is wearing a tunic underneath...acamar and its variants.

So anyway I hope I've dispelled some of your Notions about how this whole game is just one drummed up joke for entertainment because that's not the case and it caught my eye for very good reasons and so far for the most part I've not been disappointed I just wish we had more options as far as customization such as I don't know a bear Pelt head as an ornament for Berserker considering Berserker bear shirt wearer

But also it's also been interpreted that it meant naked. I still am going to go with the whole bear shirt wear in the reason I say that is because there was another group of Vikings that identified with Wolves but they were berserker as well.

Either way I'm not trying to rain on your parade or nothing if he's not gender locked or if he is I could care less I just hope you're not of the notion that if there was a character that is male and is exclusively male that you wouldn't somehow want to just change everything up just for your sake and can't find it in yourself to appreciate the fact that that person and their identity is what you're playing as . And ultimately I find your statements that I quoted to be wholefully incorrect and false.

to touch that and change it kind of defeats the purpose of shooting for that very thing such as a Valkyrie. Oh and another thing I do wish the Raider had more realistic outfits that I kind of wish raider did kind of wear a f****** shirt or. A little more armor.

And another off-topic thing I had another idea where it's for a game mode they keep coming to me like crazy so you have I guess the max multiplayer limit which is a players and they all verse hard level AI and I guess the trade-off in this would be that somehow we could have better theatrics and maybe a story mode implemented in this and again it does require work on your end because it would be something that would be release seasonally.

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 05:10 AM
The Norsemen honestly had cloaks and why the f*** they haven't made armor to where he's wearing a cloak I don't know it's very iconic to be honest and if you're going to get the Helms down pat then I think you should have a tunic and cloak But ultimately it looks like a f****** cape armor I would post pictures but I can't so f*** it it's not that much of a stretch because you're already in game content as far as trousers and leg wraps is on point so it would take very little cgi? Work to make that happen.

Considering you've already got capes in the game 4 of the Centurion again you just simply rework that and Bam there's the f****** iconic Norsemen.

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 05:13 AM
And one more thing it honestly surprises me how ignorant people are towards how accurate this game is even the Shinobi they did a f****** stand up job I've literally Blown Away how you all don't see the f****** accuracy the only thing that's a stretches the horns for the Vikings and thank God that s***'s optional. Either way my point still stands

Developers from UBISOFT keep up the ducking great work. Its not going in noticed. Your work is really appreciated. Also extremely pertinent.

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 05:14 AM
Unnoticed. Not in noticed.

For ducks sake google phone can you please stop ducking my words like centurion combos.

watsonclan335u
08-04-2017, 06:12 AM
Wonder how many people from Norse decent take offense to the fact that there can be black Vikings? Would there be the same tolerance toward a white Zulu warrior in game? Lol just wondering.

Stahlrusse
08-04-2017, 07:10 AM
As an example a majority of the moves that the characters can use are over done visually for theatrical reasons.
the reason things seem believable in for honor is because our culture has popularized certain ideas of these things.

But if you actually go through history and look into it a lot of stuff in for honor isn't historically accurate. for honor is meant to seem believable. Not meant to be historically sound.

The thing about For Honor is that it is physically possible to fight like that. But people did not fight like that, because it was impractical (spinning and all these flashy executions). Real fights are rather dull to look at and not half as flashy. This is why For Honor is so popular. Because it gives the impression of realism and looks spectacular at the same time.
In general everything LOOKS like it is or was real in this game and that does the trick already. Games must not be 100% historically accurate to be fun.

Tundra 793
08-04-2017, 07:37 AM
don't do the developers justice here at all. The amount of historically sound things that they do have in the game honestly outweigh the things that don't I seriously suggest you look into Nordic history me being a folk van a- asatruar I can say they hit it a lot of it head-on.

Alrighty, first things first; Holy hell son chill out, it's just a game.

Secondly; I'm Danish. I've read the books, been to the museums etc.

The developers have hit nothing head-on, because they weren't trying to. When something in For Honor is historically accurate, It's a happy accident.

I guess the reason I took opposition to that stance is because I do feel that people do need to somewhat get over themselves when it comes to playing a game and stop trying to interject their irrelevant selves into the game and try to actually take it for what it is especially in for Honor settings I think it is interesting and I honestly won't more customization when it comes to characters.

I think I agree, but honestly dude, your writing style seems very hastily written and passionate/erratic. It's hard to keep up.

But that's just my opinion I think there's a lot of disrespect when it comes to people's culture especially when it comes to people of European descent it's outright pretty much okay to say the most racist vile things walk all over their (our) culture be blatantly racist towards our culture and it's totally f****** fine.

And if such changes were made in a vice versa situation I can guarantee you that it seems people of other ethnic Origins can get away with voicing their displeasure a lot easier than people of European descent in culture.

now I don't mean to get on such a hot-button subject so I'm going to stop there but my point is the valkyrie is a female and even though I'm a male I can be outside of myself and play her as her and appreciate that fact because valkries are females. End of story.

I... guess? This whole part just comes out of nowhere.

Now to get back on the topic of detail
for one Warlords Lemae
armor for two using a all leather canteen
for three the use of seax knifes
For for using a wolf as an ornament that ultimately Berserkers were known to use wolf pelts and also bear pelts
For four Vikings norsemw had leg wraps they were leather they were also made out of fabric as well such as a jute, cotton, and will.
For five the use of tunics on Warlord
For 6 the use of chainmail which was invented by the Norsemen and the Germanic cultures but blatantly are in typical Frank terms invented by the the Vikings unfortunately for the sake of accurately pinpointing who made what it's kind of hard to because the Vikings incompass honestly a lot of different indo European cultures Danes hurts Saxons frisians, and the rus. Just to name seriously a few

What a long winded way to agree with me. Gonna quote myself here; "The only historical aspects of For Honor is that the starting weapons and armor kinda looks like stuff used in real life. That's about it."

We're playing characters based on stereotypes, that's where any accuracy comes from, not from a developer's standpoint of wanting to be accurate for history's sake.

But when it comes to the beserker and the warlord and also the Valkyries and now the Highlander they're pretty ******* historically accurate. Some of berserker armor I do feel could be a little bit more realistic But ultimately a lot of it just seems like a spin off of Lemae armor and the use of heavy textiles as padding for armor

Just, no, dude.

Valkyries cannot by association be historically accurate, because they never existed. They're beings of myth.
Berserker's also aren't a historical fact, they're largely only mentioned in the Sagas.
Highlander is a wide term, but in this medieval context usually describes a type of soldier who absolutely wasn't a Viking.

To summarize; The characters might look accurate, but within the context of For Honor, they're as real as orcs or hobbits.

So anyway I hope I've dispelled some of your Notions about how this whole game is just one drummed up joke for entertainment because that's not the case and it caught my eye for very good reasons and so far for the most part I've not been disappointed I just wish we had more options as far as customization such as I don't know a bear Pelt head as an ornament for Berserker considering Berserker bear shirt wearer

Please don't put words in my mouth. To quote myself again; "The only historical aspects of For Honor is that the starting weapons and armor kinda looks like stuff used in real life."
That was what I said, not a word about the game being a "drummed up joke".

Either way I'm not trying to rain on your parade or nothing if he's not gender locked or if he is I could care less I just hope you're not of the notion that if there was a character that is male and is exclusively male that you wouldn't somehow want to just change everything up just for your sake and can't find it in yourself to appreciate the fact that that person and their identity is what you're playing as . And ultimately I find your statements that I quoted to be wholefully incorrect and false.

to touch that and change it kind of defeats the purpose of shooting for that very thing such as a Valkyrie. Oh and another thing I do wish the Raider had more realistic outfits that I kind of wish raider did kind of wear a f****** shirt or. A little more armor.

I'm not sure you're still addressing me at this point?

And one more thing it honestly surprises me how ignorant people are towards how accurate this game is even the Shinobi they did a f****** stand up job I've literally Blown Away

A Shinobi is a Ninja, and Ninja's looked nothing like the Shinobi does. Shinobi/Ninjas were assassin's and spies, you wanna know how to stand out in a crowd? Be the only dude wearing all black cloth and a face mask. Not accurate.

the only thing that's a stretches the horns for the Vikings and thank God that s***'s optional. Either way my point still stands

The Raider's helmet looks like a stereotypical viking esque helmet, but it's not accurate. The berserker's mask isn't accurate at all, and neither is the Valkyrie's helmet. The Warlord's bears some resemblance to a Vendel period helmet, but it's a fallacy to assume this had any impact on Viking age helmets.
You seem to take pride in knowing your Viking history, so you should know that just 1 example of a Viking period helmet has been found to date, and we cannot claim that any helmet bearing any resemblance to it is also historically accurate.

Wonder how many people from Norse decent take offense to the fact that there can be black Vikings? Would there be the same tolerance toward a white Zulu warrior in game? Lol just wondering.

I can't speak for all of us, but I really don't care. Like I said before; It's a fantasy game.

SwellChemosabe
08-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Fun facts:

1) Viking wasn't a culture, it was a profession. When people refer to Vikings they're actually referring to, whether they know it or not, a trade in which warriors would go out, explore, raid, and fight.

2) Vikings never actually wore horns on their headgear. This was a look popularized by actors in plays throughout Europe that portrayed the Vikings.

3) In most companies, the most iconic being the movie industry, there is such a thing as creative licensing. This allows whatever corporation to shift or change certain aspects in otherwise historically accurate events and/or timelines to make them more appealing to audiences.

4) Gladiators were in fact, at one point, slaves made to fight one another in places such as the coliseum in order to profit their masters. However, after a time, it became more and more common for ex-military to volunteer to be gladiators. They were free to do as they pleased, but sought out profit and/or glory and fame in the arena.

5) Gladiators, believe or not, were actually not always half naked as they are portrayed, only wearing armor in certain places. It was fairly common for them to be completely outfitted in full sets of armor (whatever material it might have been constructed from)

Dude_of_Valor
08-04-2017, 09:45 AM
The thing about For Honor is that it is physically possible to fight like that. But people did not fight like that, because it was impractical (spinning and all these flashy executions). Real fights are rather dull to look at and not half as flashy. This is why For Honor is so popular. Because it gives the impression of realism and looks spectacular at the same time.
In general everything LOOKS like it is or was real in this game and that does the trick already. Games must not be 100% historically accurate to be fun.

Have to disagree that watching a sword fight in RL is dull but you are spot on about the rest.

swordxsmash
08-04-2017, 12:05 PM
https://68.media.tumblr.com/f014d50b971f42506673b15a7148fb9c/tumblr_op1nvtSM0q1sgpdz4o1_500.png

This is Samurai Jack

They would look pretty good If they existed in For Honor.......If there was any honor

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Alrighty, first things first; Holy hell son chill out, it's just a game.

Secondly; I'm Danish. I've read the books, been to the museums etc.

The developers have hit nothing head-on, because they weren't trying to. When something in For Honor is historically accurate, It's a happy accident.

I think I agree, but honestly dude, your writing style seems very hastily written and passionate/erratic. It's hard to keep up.

I... guess? This whole part just comes out of nowhere.

What a long winded way to agree with me. Gonna quote myself here; "The only historical aspects of For Honor is that the starting weapons and armor kinda looks like stuff used in real life. That's about it."

We're playing characters based on stereotypes, that's where any accuracy comes from, not from a developer's standpoint of wanting to be accurate for history's sake.

Just, no, dude.

Valkyries cannot by association be historically accurate, because they never existed. They're beings of myth.
Berserker's also aren't a historical fact, they're largely only mentioned in the Sagas.
Highlander is a wide term, but in this medieval context usually describes a type of soldier who absolutely wasn't a Viking.

To summarize; The characters might look accurate, but within the context of For Honor, they're as real as orcs or hobbits.

Please don't put words in my mouth. To quote myself again; "The only historical aspects of For Honor is that the starting weapons and armor kinda looks like stuff used in real life."
That was what I said, not a word about the game being a "drummed up joke".

I'm not sure you're still addressing me at this point?

A Shinobi is a Ninja, and Ninja's looked nothing like the Shinobi does. Shinobi/Ninjas were assassin's and spies, you wanna know how to stand out in a crowd? Be the only dude wearing all black cloth and a face mask. Not accurate.

The Raider's helmet looks like a stereotypical viking esque helmet, but it's not accurate. The berserker's mask isn't accurate at all, and neither is the Valkyrie's helmet. The Warlord's bears some resemblance to a Vendel period helmet, but it's a fallacy to assume this had any impact on Viking age helmets.
You seem to take pride in knowing your Viking history, so you should know that just 1 example of a Viking period helmet has been found to date, and we cannot claim that any helmet bearing any resemblance to it is also historically accurate.

I can't speak for all of us, but I really don't care. Like I said before; It's a fantasy game.

I would appreciate you addressing people when you quote two different people.

They model their HELMs after Vendel period helms. Which was norsemen. Found in Vendel Sweden.

They have found plenty of norse helm in graves in various locations etc etc..... Ultimately vikings was norsemen. It was something you did. Again, incorrect. Again that .....viking helm is similar to Vendel. I believe it looks just like it to be honest.

Now like I said changes are made for theatrics.
Norse viking helm haven't made a drastic change during that time. Its you folly for sake of your argument you twist your words. They use a lot of symbolism, art, etc

Again outweighs the incorrect. Norse used glima martial arts in fighting because it helped them wrestle there oppenent down in combat.

Raiders helm spot on. Don't get all snooty with your recent education looking this stuff up all the while typing responses.

Actually your (kinda) word is a problem. In some cases on a individual character basis they got it spot on.

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Valkyries are a mythological character?valkyries are also limited to one belief system and culture.
Now not to get too crazy but cAlling it out right myth. Is offensive. Some people still practice the faith regardless of what the scourge of Christianity did. Just saying....

I am actually getting rather irritated,by the fact of how good, and tactfully your making this argument personal.

I used the talk to text feature last night. So that's why it is the way it is. Don't worry.. I'm typing now, and you got my full undisclosed attention.

Shakti.
08-04-2017, 01:26 PM
Original Poster. Propaganda guys are boring and exploited left and right . Find better and more useful battle to fight.

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 01:34 PM
Give me a little bit. Through your attempt to try and provide proof of, I guess my ignorance on the matter, you've given a LOAD of incorrect information.

The sagas and Berserkers being one. Berserkers are a historical fact, and those sagas, icelandic sagas for one a historical accounts and documentation.

Berserkers are found through out a lot of sagas and a lot of historians regard them as a fact. Not fiction.

A monk records in an account of the first viking attack on lyndisfarne how a berserker warrior walked through fire as if it was nothing. Stepping on dead monks as if they was dung in the streets.

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 01:38 PM
Highlander and Scottish culture is because of viking culture, and the norse. Because of their occupation due to viking campaigns of the what is now the UK.

So just saying.

Tundra 793
08-04-2017, 01:58 PM
I would appreciate you addressing people when you quote two different people.

I thought I did? I only quoted 2 people in my last post, you and Watsonclan. His post immediately preceded mine, and his quote was the last once I used, i assumed people could make the connection.

They model their HELMs after Vendel period helms. Which was norsemen. Found in Vendel Sweden.

Both the Warlords and the Raider's helms seem at least partly inspired by the Vendel helmet design, possibly also a bit from the Gjermundbu helmet, pictures here respectively;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vendel_Period#/media/File:Vendel_era_helmet_(942).jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hjelm_av_jern_fra_vikingtid_fra_Gjermundbu.jp g

Which goes back to when I said that the starting weapons and armor for the classes looked accurate. Liberties were taken of course, and far from all the helmets available to those classes bear any resemblance to these.

They have found plenty of norse helm in graves in various locations etc etc..... Ultimately vikings was norsemen. It was something you did. Again, incorrect. Again that .....viking helm is similar to Vendel. I believe it looks just like it to be honest.

Please, link me to any other archeological finds that yielded whole examples of helmets dated to the Viking age. Also, the second sentence here, I don't understand it. Something I did? What was incorrect?
We've already established that some of the helmets look like the Vendel helmet.

Now like I said changes are made for theatrics.
Norse viking helm haven't made a drastic change during that time. Its you folly for sake of your argument you twist your words. They use a lot of symbolism, art, etc

This statement really needs proof of the multiple Viking helmets you mentioned earlier. To say that the Vendel helmet was the defining aesthetic for all of the Viking age is fallacious.

Again outweighs the incorrect. Norse used glima martial arts in fighting because it helped them wrestle there oppenent down in combat.

I have never heard of Glima before, so I looked it up and did research. I've seen zero evidence that "Glíma" was something practiced in any organized fashion by the Vikings.

The Wikipedia page for starters lists only 2 external sources; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glima One being the Icelandic site for the main governing body, near as I can tell. The other being an article seemingly mocking Glima's entry into the 1912 Olympics.
I then tried to read the actual Saga's these organizations mention as the origin for the name and concept, and wouldn't you know it, I happen to own collections of the Sagas. I found nothing in my books, so I did word searches online in English, Icelandic and Old Norse in the Sagas supposed to contain this Glima concept. Still nothing.

It sounds like Glima is just one of those things Icelandic people do to make them feel more Viking. Like that chanting they do before football games. It's cool, but it's absolutely not Viking.

Raiders helm spot on. Don't get all snooty with your recent education looking this stuff up all the while typing responses.

I'm not so much looking stuff up, except that Glima thing, than just confirming what I believe to be the truth, and to provide sources for my claims.

Valkyries are a mythological character?valkyries are also limited to one belief system and culture.
Now not to get too crazy but cAlling it out right myth. Is offensive. Some people still practice the faith regardless of what the scourge of Christianity did. Just saying....

Yes, I practice this faith, and they were not real in any historical sense. Whether I believe in them or not doesn't change the fact that there isn't any Valkyrie graves lying around, there's no winged helmets or records of women who could be described as Valkyries joining any battles during the Viking age.

I am actually getting rather irritated,by the fact of how good, and tactfully your making this argument personal.

Dude, you made that long passionate post first, and kept posting. I've said nothing thus far I can't prove to you isn't a solid fact. I'm not sure what to do if that offends you.

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Either way there is a,for honor video of the developer fighting.

In a REAL sword fight you have side gaurd and top guard.

Just like in for honor. They did any excellent video about it. The shinobi I believe there was a video about how they was really accurate with the design.

The various fighting styles as well also match the character how are you all f****** not seeing this. I do believe the norsemen could use more GLIMA elements that's what the whole( Raider carry is about)
The knights. The warden with his pommel strike historically sound there's a textbook actually showing this move that they (knights) would learn from.

Its the perfect balance of flashy with the use of historical moves sets.

Now I can't vouch for Berserkers fighting move set. But his chain combo is close. There is only so many ways to swing an ax after all. But he is a good example of realism with elements of historical sound moves. Thus the howling and such.

Either way I'm not trying to make an enemy out of you tundra either. All I'm saying is they use names that are exclusive to a culture they strike similarly close to trying to recreate people from these cultures and time periods thus I don't believe the attitude is appropriate for it to be just a fantasy game when you're going to use let's say 80% fact and 20% fiction in the mix

Thor's hammer, valknut, borre era knot work, helm of awe, elder futhark runes. Among many other sacred symbols in my own faith.

Tundra 793
08-04-2017, 02:11 PM
I should probably apologize at this point for taking part in derailing the thread completely.

Parrot, you can just PM me if you feel like continuing the discussion, I'll probably step out now.

Closing argument;

We're playing a game where a Roman Centurion, a Ninja and a Valkyrie can trade blows and live right next to each other. It's as imaginary and fantasy fueled as Lord of the Rings.
If It's historically accurate, It's more of a happy accident than intent on creating a historically accurate game.

WABO423
08-04-2017, 02:18 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=i%27m+the+most+smartest+meme&client=ms-android-verizon&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CSz-MYk7Aa2tIkBVQYdHztp72N4Wh_1A-1RJaVhpocrAx_1eBN-UE_1V2EQiaTNFBVha79CrKzoPwhDngFU4XwHiDK5pOX3PZq6gZ lJKhIJVUGHR87ae9gR3XUvuh1vd5gqEgneFofwPtUSWhE1wJye 246Q3CoSCVYaaHKwMf3gESSGoX16BLTXKhIJTflBP1dhEIkR3q mIrGGaT0kqEgmkzRQVYWu_1QhEplwA_12xjqMSoSCays6D8IQ5 4BEXnQKUEHLwprKhIJVOF8B4gyuaQRrTWcltCfXQcqEgnl9z2a uoGZSRF45ZJBw-sCqg%3D%3D&tbo=u&ved=0ahUKEwiJtayf1L3VAhXL7SYKHbimBVoQuIIBCCM#imgrc =LP4xiTsBra2K2M:

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Valsgarde helms and discovery.

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_helmets.htm

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 02:32 PM
The link is for proof on viking combat and the use of glima. Hirstwic go into detail and its all historically sound.

My apologies, Vendel period Valsgarde site.

Tundra 793
08-04-2017, 02:45 PM
Taking it to the PM's.

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Agreed

BudgetParrot118
08-04-2017, 06:04 PM

I have to disagree with you there because granted a lot of moves are done for theatrical reasons they are overdone still the moves pertain to that certain character and the martial arts that come with that character

Against all numerous videos about the Palm strike using the pommel and Hilt as a weapon which the warden does.

I mean its up to the person to all out disregard it as fantasy.

I'm not saying it's comparable to bannerlord or even another Viking game that actually has actual battles that took place in history that you can campaign to do as a Viking.

But there is enough relevance as far as culture is concerned symbolism relevancy to location relevancy to materials used to build their settlements the location of their settlements the names of their settlements like valkenheim for it to be fantasy for me these names and the character classifications like Berserker would have to be labeled as Barbarian and not have names like valkenhiem. Not have character speaking in Icelandic or Japanese or French.

Overall I agree the game is fantasy with strong accents and elements of historical accuracy.

And the elements are what I'm talking about again digging through history I know this stuff that's why it appeals to me.

Now do I believe there was a shirtless Warrior named the Raider no if they were shirtless they were Berserkers.

However to get back on topic it wouldn't hurt my experience at all if the Highlander had a female alternate honestly I kind of this point want that but aside from this said subject matter I don't believe that Games should be when it has to do with culture or enough elements of culture to wear when you're playing as said person it has all these striking similarities to Norsemen you're not getting it confused with any other f****** people it's exclusively in common toungue terms Indo-European culture/ scandinavian.

At some point you do have to stop and realize you're playing as said character so there's only so much inclusion you can have before it becomes disrespectful and I guess my main point of what I was saying before hand is I just get irritated with in my opinion people that can't get over themselves enough to enjoy somebody else's culture and people without rudely f****** it up to make themselves satisfied. Or to fit their personal political agenda right and left.

That's all im saying.

I've said my piece. I don't want to argue it discuss this any further. Its just my opinion.