PDA

View Full Version : Gladiator announcement makes me confused on centurion

LordDarkMoth
08-03-2017, 08:09 PM
When the released the Centurion and he lacked the typical centurion square shield from history they made him fight a little gladiator like, gave him arena type executions and such I figured it was cause they wanted to capture both the solider and gladiatorial combat that existed in rome in 1 hero. But now that I know that they were planning a full fledged gladiator this whole time i wonder why the didnt make the centurion more like a roman solider. I dunno.

My other question is does this mean that there wont be any knights with an estoc or rapier like fighting? i mean it was a huge part of the history of war that the knight faction is based on.

CandleInTheDark
08-03-2017, 08:24 PM
They have said the last couple of streams that they are thinking of the long term future of the game so I am guessing there will be heroes in year two and beyond. I do agree that more knightly stuff would have been nice, sword and shield, warhammer and shield, two handed warhammer, mace, just a few that come to mind.

Honestly it feels like they want to do an Ancients inspired thing between the highlander, centurion and gladiator, if they did an Ancients faction, I would love for them to move those three there, two hybrids and an assassin to start them off, in exchange for more traditional knights and a viking.

Knight_Raime
08-03-2017, 10:46 PM
While centurions did use shields it wasn't a standard. Just as centurions were also pretty cocky. But not all were.

Gladiators actually are portrayed vastly differently in movies than in history. Arena combatents were not there for glory. Nor did the crowd really have any sway on who killed who.
Gladiators were often prisoners or criminals forced to fight for the entertainment of the people. They were not your show boaty sort of seasoned fighters that we fantasize them as.

You have to remember that For honor first and for most is a fantasy fighting game. Moves while some are "accurate" are over extended and mocapped by proffessional stage actors to give them a more crowd pleasing look. Vikings also actually wore armor. And not all samurai used swords. Most were actually calvery with bows back when they first started showing in the world.

Centurion was meant to symbolize glory and the might of Rome. Hence the show off type executions and the brutal beating of your enemy.
Where as the gladiator is seeming to more symbolize strength. and combat. In other words the more serious part of roman history. he's deff got a gritter feel to him.

CandleInTheDark
08-03-2017, 10:51 PM
You have to remember that For honor first and for most is a fantasy fighting game. Moves while some are "accurate" are over extended and mocapped by proffessional stage actors to give them a more crowd pleasing look.

Yeah I remember an interview with a guy behind a lot of the samurai fighting style, he said the moves were mostly accurate, some were telegraphed horribly in ways they would not otherwise be but you kind of need that in a videogame.

Knight_Raime
08-03-2017, 11:03 PM
Yeah I remember an interview with a guy behind a lot of the samurai fighting style, he said the moves were mostly accurate, some were telegraphed horribly in ways they would not otherwise be but you kind of need that in a videogame.

Yeah. like pretty much everything berzerker does isn't practical. xD

CandleInTheDark
08-03-2017, 11:18 PM
Yeah. like pretty much everything berzerker does isn't practical. xD

Oh man yeah., the berserker feels so open whenever he goes swinging lol and the spin...when I wasn't used to the timing of zones, whenever I tried to go into dauntless attack I would zone, took me a long time to get the best out of him because of that.

UbiNoty
08-03-2017, 11:32 PM
Even though we do heavily draw inspiration from history, not everything in real life would translate quite as well into gameplay and design - so we do still retain some degree of artistic freedom in the creation of heroes. :) We want to capture the feel of different types of historical warriors, but also want to try to make gameplay for different heroes unique to each hero.

Knight_Raime
08-03-2017, 11:37 PM
Oh man yeah., the berserker feels so open whenever he goes swinging lol and the spin...when I wasn't used to the timing of zones, whenever I tried to go into dauntless attack I would zone, took me a long time to get the best out of him because of that.

Honestly I believe that's kind of what drew me to the zerker in the first place. the moves were flashy and hilarious to see. but he was very deadly. Though perhaps i'm interested in stuff like that since I hail from the group of souls players that flocked to for honor when it came out. d:

Even though we do heavily draw inspiration from history, not everything in real life would translate quite as well into gameplay and design - so we do still retain some degree of artistic freedom in the creation of heroes. :) We want to capture the feel of different types of historical warriors, but also want to try to make gameplay for different heroes unique to each hero.

Yup yup! people just get confused because while for honor does try to strike a cord with some historically accurate/believable things not enough people truly understand history enough to realize the heavy fantasy influence the game has.

Applesause78
08-04-2017, 11:45 AM
This would be awesome to have as an emote for the Gladiator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPKSaZhpLjc

swordxsmash
08-04-2017, 11:54 AM
I'm sure ubisoft has something in their sleaves.....I think so:confused::confused:

LordDarkMoth
08-04-2017, 06:48 PM
I get that they aren't all historically accurate but my question is the same if you know you are developing a gladiator why have the centurion have gladiator themes in his executions and some of his moves? And if one of the 2 was going to have some kind of shield why wasn't it the centurion? I guess my real problem is IMO character design wise i wish the centurion was more themed after a Roman solider if they were going to have a gladiator.

CandleInTheDark
08-04-2017, 11:20 PM
Yeah that is the thing that bothers me a little, I will certainly be playing the gladiator some but I would have preferred a regular knight as opposed to the centurion or gladiator, or a more soldier type centurion.

Still, the die is cast, we will see what comes.

UbiNoty
08-05-2017, 12:00 AM
I get that they aren't all historically accurate but my question is the same if you know you are developing a gladiator why have the centurion have gladiator themes in his executions and some of his moves? And if one of the 2 was going to have some kind of shield why wasn't it the centurion? I guess my real problem is IMO character design wise i wish the centurion was more themed after a Roman solider if they were going to have a gladiator.

This is a question I will gladly take up with the Devs since I am curious too.

CandleInTheDark
08-05-2017, 12:04 AM
I won't lie, I thought just as what we knew in the leak as ninja had been renamed shinobi the gladiator had been renamed centurion.