PDA

View Full Version : Warden Assistance.

Claudius_Katt
08-02-2017, 04:35 AM
I've recently decided to put my Nobushi/Shinobi hat away and try out the Warden helmet for a change of pace and I've been thoroughly enjoying it but I'd like to learn some of his more advanced techniques and better myself.

Can any fellow Warden players give me some pointers or suggest any Tutorial videos that may help me to master him?

Thanks in advance.

vAshes2Ashesv
08-02-2017, 04:45 AM
Shoulder bash. Shoulder bash.... and definitely more shoulder bash.

Seriously, though, this is a great move to use to open up a combo beginning with the double left/right light attacks chain, link that with more shoulder bashing and guardbreak mixups and you've got yourself the Warden vortex (least that's what I think it's called.) You could mix it up abit with some random top lights maybe a few side heavies and parries, though heavies are pretty predictable from Warden and are often parried into a punish. If you feint some heavies and feint your shoulder bash from time to time if your opponent expects it, you may be able to fake them out enough to chain in some other random attacks in the direction they're not blocking.

Claudius_Katt
08-02-2017, 07:21 AM
If you feint some heavies and feint your shoulder bash from time to time if your opponent expects it, you may be able to fake them out enough to chain in some other random attacks in the direction they're not blocking.

Feint, Parry and the occasional wall splat have been my primary tactics so far and its been working pretty well, nothing outstanding but not bad and great fun.

Been throwing out the occasional shoulder bash too but Im still getting used to the timing and distance with it, I keep accidentally cancelling it into a guard break so I need to get my timing a bit better, from the sounds of it once I get that move down I can get some good mixups going so i better get practising on that one.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

Alustar.
08-02-2017, 11:13 AM
Feint, Parry and the occasional wall splat have been my primary tactics so far and its been working pretty well, nothing outstanding but not bad and great fun.

Been throwing out the occasional shoulder bash too but Im still getting used to the timing and distance with it, I keep accidentally cancelling it into a guard break so I need to get my timing a bit better, from the sounds of it once I get that move down I can get some good mixups going so i better get practising on that one.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

While i don't main warden I can give you tips on him. His zone attack is very nice and doesn't get enough attention. The reason I love this move is cause it has deceptive distance and tracking that unless they know you are doing it, it's extremely hard to block. IMO it's almost a better gap closer than your SB, which is very telegraphed and against players like me, using it too frequently will lead to you being side stepped and bled out.

CandleInTheDark
08-02-2017, 11:19 AM
The Hero School series is pretty good for most characters (I disagree heavily over my main the peacekeeper, the person in it is a spam abuser and advocated flicker abuse but eh can't have a hit every time). This is the warden's, be aware that this was before they stopped you cancelling shoulder bash to guardbreak after the opponent dodges https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-REK9Hm0cjk

JBirse also has a useful series of videos on character mixups, this one was put out after they removed reactively cancelling shoulder bash to guardbreak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x466jX_XVHI

In terms of the shoulder bash I tend to use it as a whiff punish or when they are near a wall, I dislike putting myself near out of stamina by keeping the chain going.

Nexo.C
08-02-2017, 11:39 AM
In terms of the shoulder bash I tend to use it as a whiff punish or when they are near a wall, I dislike putting myself near out of stamina by keeping the chain going.
This. Using Sb to punish whiffs is very effective.Also Counter Crush is one of the most powerful moves in the game in my opinion. Mastering it gives you most of the time a big advantage against classes that rely on top lights as Orochi and Kensei for example (also good against other wardens). You can bait with a feint and then chain into sb after countercrush and so on. And of course wallsplat, wallsplat, wallsplat. OOS max punish - throw into wall and you get a side and a top heavy when i remember correctly. When you use sb not just as an counter attack, then it could be useful to feint it from time to time.I never used it but it always good to keep your enemy guessing.

Knight_Raime
08-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Not a warden main but i've got a decent bit of experience with her. so i'll add my advice:

~Learn to use the environment. warden has access to her top heavies 40 damage a few ways. if you're mid mix up with SB and you notice a wall try to GB to throw them into the wall.
Or if they are too smart to fall for that go for a fully charged SB.

~Use SB to punish whiffs. works especially well on people who go for unblockable bash attacks a lot.

~If you land crushing counter (assuming ptr changes go live) it will absolutely true combo into SB. so i'd recommend picking up crushing counter and practicing it's timing.

~Try to get parrying down. I think it gives a side light. which chains into another free side light and lets you start your sb mix up.

~Learn when to use the fully charged SB. You can condition someone as an example to you using SB as a whiff punish. So they instead wait for it and you nail them with it instead.

~pretty much never use the zone. it's unsafe on block. and most people have gotten good enough on the parry timing for it.

CandleInTheDark
08-02-2017, 12:30 PM
This. Using Sb to punish whiffs is very effective.

I mostly play assassins so it just seemed natural to me to whiff punish with it lol.

Claudius_Katt
08-02-2017, 01:38 PM
This is all fantastic advice,
I really appreciate the help guys,
Gonna check out those videos you posted tonight CandleInTheDark and get some hands on practice tomorrow,
Thanks again to everyone for their help,
Gives me lots to think about.