PDA

View Full Version : Give love to Valk

SikanderAzam
07-31-2017, 12:40 AM
I just realized today that almost all of my complaints about this game aren't actually FH problems. They're Valk problems. I've spent three months learning Valk and have just realized what an absolutely useless class this is. Anyone that knows how slow she is and how horrible her recovery window is can almost be assured of victory unless they're holding the controller with their feet. It's an absolute joke, and I really hope she gets some love in the coming changes. I like the style, I don't want to change, but I have no confidence in a class whose one ace in the hole is being so unpopular that many people don't know how to counter her--and that's the only reason why she can get away with her combos sometimes. ANYONE who knows her can laugh her off in a fight.

-Free GB to opponent who blocks (not parries, blocks) her dash light, side step lights, side steps her heavy, sweep, or shoulder bash, or shield tackle. She has the longest recovery time of all classes despite being billed as fast and nimble. This alone is enough to make her unfeasible in high level play.

-Her health/mobility relative to her damage output is a joke. Unlike Shinobi or PK, she has neither the mobility nor the bleed damage to justify this. Her mobility is terrible, and although Ubi gave her a bleed, it's effectively impossible to use. In the 500+ games I played in season 2, I literally never saw her bleed move (shoulder pin) used once, and I'm not being dramatic. Her side dodge doesn't work correctly, being the clutz that she is, so she usually gets hit anyway. Her bleed requires a deflect while side dodging, but the window is so tiny and the risk of getting hit anyway--added to the fact that the bleed damage really isn't that much and is auto-blocked half the time due to a bug--means that under no circumstances is it worth trying to land this. So the bleed damage she's intended to have is not usable, and she's left feeling weak in damage, weak in health, and weak in mobility.

-No offensive unblockables and not a single counter move other than her 100% unusable bleed. Shoulder bash is useless, shield tackle has no tracking and is useless if the opponent knows that and is paying attention to you, and her only other unblockable is spear sweep which she can only use at the end of a three move combo. Despite it being a spear, it has a pretty poor range and a dodge to either side or back is enough to make it miss and allow a free punishment. Oh, and FYI, you can GB a Valk out of spear sweep. "Unblockable" my ear. I sure wish I could GB, you know, anyone else out of their "unblockables."

These things combined with a litany of other little pestering fails make her a theoretical blast to play that in reality is a noob stomper that can't go toe to toe with anyone in upper mid to high level play. We have a class that was intended to be a hybrid class of assassin and heavy, and the result is just a poorly thrown together mashup that is not nearly as good as either an assassin or a heavy.

So please, give her some love in season 3 sometime.

P.S. Nerf cent, buff conq, Samurais stole victory, etc. etc.

UbiNoty
07-31-2017, 01:19 AM
Ty for the write-up. Valk admittedly does seem to be a bit on the weaker end - but we're trying to reserve big balance updates and major changes until after the defensive meta changes are finalized. Which is why we haven't really talked much about hero balancing as of late since we want to see how they're affected by the meta changes first before we make any decisions. But we will definitely take your feedback under consideration when we start to focus on hero balance after all the def meta stuff is settled.

SikanderAzam
07-31-2017, 02:14 AM
Ty for the write-up. Valk admittedly does seem to be a bit on the weaker end - but we're trying to reserve big balance updates and major changes until after the defensive meta changes are finalized. Which is why we haven't really talked much about hero balancing as of late since we want to see how they're affected by the meta changes first before we make any decisions. But we will definitely take your feedback under consideration when we start to focus on hero balance after all the def meta stuff is settled.

That's certainly reasonable. I do hope you look into tweaking her after the meta change. If nothing else, the bleed effect needs to be reworked. In that particular case, it's not a matter of does she needs this or that. It's a matter of she was supposed to have this from the start, and it just doesn't work as planned.