PDA

View Full Version : Why does Orochi get double top lights after Storm Rush on certain characters?

Moondyne_MC
07-29-2017, 07:58 AM
This seems like something I should well and truly know by now, but I'm still unsure. I'm trying out Lawbie as of late, and Orochi have been really bugging me because in any 2v1 situation, the second I have to CGB they'll rush in for an undefendable Storm Rush which for some reason hitstuns Lawbie long enough to allow for a guaranteed double tap top light as well, which is a fair amount of damage to cop for countering a single GB (I know, I know, shouldn't be outnumbered in the first place, but it happens). This also happens if I somehow fall for one in a 1v1 as well.

I know when I play Kensei I can still block the top lights after eating a Storm Rush, so I'm sure it must be varied across characters - anyone know what the actual deciding factor is?

Arekonator
07-29-2017, 09:27 AM
You can block it with anyone with normal guard (so you cant with assassins) as long as you already have your guard top when the stormrush hits you.

SwellChemosabe
07-29-2017, 09:42 AM
I main Orochi and the only thing I can tell you is that timing is key. Most people won't be able to block the two top lights following storm rush because it's the first thing an Orochi will do immediately and as quickly as possible. It's a guaranteed two because that's how the attack works, first hit will automatically grant the second and the second can't be blocked. I don't always get it because sometimes I'm a little slow on the follow up, but you should always try to block it if you can.

I like to think that it's because Orochi is one of the more telegraphed characters; everybody pretty much knows the moves and if they don't it's not hard to learn. That and the Orochi doesn't have too many options for mix ups.

If an Orochi comes at you with the storm rush keep in mind: after the first two steps, it can't be cancelled. so if you see them wind up for one, count how many steps they take before making your next move. Also, make sure you watch for target switching. Storm rush is handy when they're outnumbered because by winding up for it they can simultaneously dodge your attack and switch targets to your buddy and effectively escape your next attack.

If you're outnumbered the only thing you can really hope for is that their synchronization is bad. But more importantly, don't give them an opportunity to try to guard break you. Orochi are counter attackers and as a lawbringer you need to be able to anticipate which of your moves they can easily dodge for a free guard break. Ultimately, timing is everything.

Arekonator
07-29-2017, 10:01 AM
Maybe i didnt expressed it clear enough so again:
Unless you already have your guard top when you get hit by stormrush, the followup double light is always guaranteed.

SwellChemosabe
07-29-2017, 10:05 AM
Maybe i didnt expressed it clear enough so again:
Unless you already have your guard top when you get hit by stormrush, the followup double light is always guaranteed.

Not disagreeing with you, just adding in other factors that could be at play.

Arekonator
07-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Oh, sorry then, i dont mean to sound hostile, it just seemed like you were saying you can block it if you are fast enough.
Apologies.

SwellChemosabe
07-29-2017, 10:26 AM
Oh, sorry then, i dont mean to sound hostile, it just seemed like you were saying you can block it if you are fast enough.
Apologies.

No worries! I probably should have worded it better. Sometimes people who play orochi don't follow up quickly enough which can give their opponent enough time to switch their guard if it wasn't up top to begin with.

Knight_Raime
07-29-2017, 08:37 PM
As a used to be orochi main pre dlc the only factors that effected my top lights coming in after a landed storm rush was:

1) my timing
2) their guard location

It is possible to take too long after a storm rush to input the 2 top lights and people can switch their guard to top and block them.
However a majority of the time if it's blocked it's because I was bad and storm rushed while their guard was top. so they auto block the top light attempts.

Far as I know there is no special cases to this or anything else that effects this.

Moondyne_MC
07-30-2017, 01:32 AM
Okay so it must have been pure coincidence that I vs better Orochi when I'm Lawbie than when I'm Kensei lol, because I never used to cop the double tap lights after a Storm Rush. So there's a guard change delay, but not a guard delay as such. Cheers for clearing that up for me everyone.

Alustar.
07-30-2017, 01:36 AM
This seems like something I should well and truly know by now, but I'm still unsure. I'm trying out Lawbie as of late, and Orochi have been really bugging me because in any 2v1 situation, the second I have to CGB they'll rush in for an undefendable Storm Rush which for some reason hitstuns Lawbie long enough to allow for a guaranteed double tap top light as well, which is a fair amount of damage to cop for countering a single GB (I know, I know, shouldn't be outnumbered in the first place, but it happens). This also happens if I somehow fall for one in a 1v1 as well.

I know when I play Kensei I can still block the top lights after eating a Storm Rush, so I'm sure it must be varied across characters - anyone know what the actual deciding factor is?

Simple it's way to avoid that is to parry storm rush.

Moondyne_MC
07-30-2017, 01:38 AM
Lol yeah cheers, I can parry Storm Rushs no worries, but that's not really what I was asking. All cleared up now anyway, thanks