PDA

View Full Version : Battlemap's First Map Making Contest

akilyoung
07-29-2017, 01:40 AM
Hi guys, Kyle here from www.battlemap.net

Its been years since we have hosted map making competitions at battlemap, but with the MP announcement, we are hoping that we can get that ball rolling again (there were never enough SP maps submitted to justify a contest)

Typically, we would come up with map 'theme's for the contest behind the scenes, or Greg (Maxpower), Steve (Anorexic Buddha/Fallen Champ) or I would come up with an idea and just go with it.

This time, for the first one, I am thinking of getting community feedback for what the theme should be.

Some might be ideas we've done before, some might be new.

Feel free to let us know what themes you like the most, and the top rated theme will be the first contest. If other ideas are popular, they will be used in future competitions!

Also, if you have a cool idea that is not listed, feel free to put it out there, if it sounds cool, Ill edit the list.

Here are some ideas:

Disney fantasy/Theme park

Steampunk

WW1/2/3

Hollywood Backlot

Outerspace/Scifi

Wild West

Pirates of the Carribean

Map Remakes (other FPS games stock maps)

Honey I shrunk the MAPPER (tiny player in huge world)

Recreate your neighborhood/house

Haunted Mansion (interior only maps)
Under The Sea
Mapocalypse (post apocalyptic)
Zero-asset voxel map (make a map with NO assets other than gameplay assets, and using only terrain..see example on youtube)

akilyoung
07-30-2017, 02:19 PM
Thanks for chiming in Simon! Yes I have that listed as Map Remakes in the list, but if we wanna be more specific and say it has to be from a game that is XXX years old or older, we certainly can do that, the only downside to that is if there are younger mappers out there, they likely havent played some of those older games. But, yes it certainly is a possibility, and I will keep that in mind.

-So far 1 vote for older map recreations...

Ubi-KitKoumal
07-31-2017, 04:41 PM
That's a very nice initiative Kyle! Nice to hear you want to go back to hosting this type of events.

I'll pin it in hope it will get more visibility. :)

The steampunk idea sounds very nice, I think the maps would have a fantastic look. Otherwise, would it be possible to have an "under the sea" theme, with part or the whole map put underwater? :)

Cheers,

Kit

Fallen-Champ
07-31-2017, 05:34 PM
would it be possible to have an "under the sea" theme, with part or the whole map put underwater? :)

That should be possible if the modifiers in Far Cry 5 are the same as those in FC4 - We have one that allows you to stay under water as long as you want, problem is we can't do takedowns or kill while under water (shame because the Far Cry Instincts games allowed you to use your knife under water)

You could still have connecting areas under water with bases above water but the only way inside is to swim down to the entry.

akilyoung
07-31-2017, 07:28 PM
Hey Kit, thanks!

Under the sea, now THATS interesting, never thought of that!

So, do you mean the map APPEARS to be underwater, or actually IS under water? Does FC5 have the ability to map underwater like that?

It would certainly take some creativity to make it appear like its under water, but with FC5 IGE 'added features', maybe we can???

Ill add it to the list and put you down for 1 vote for that ;P

akilyoung
07-31-2017, 07:32 PM
Since you cant see well underwater, it might be best to build it on land, and use the terrain and assets to make it APPEAR like youre under water? idk

Ubi-KitKoumal
08-01-2017, 03:40 PM
I guess that making it appear under water is a good start, you're right that it might get messy if the map was indeed underwater... To be honest, I'm very curious now, I feel like I should try! xD

akilyoung
08-01-2017, 04:01 PM
haha there you go!

Console or PC?

I cant help but think of Little Mermaid, or Sponge Bob...

I remember seeing maps like that on FC2, and also in Planet Coaster.

Fallen-Champ
08-01-2017, 04:12 PM
Aquatic Sci Fi on far Cry Instincts Predator back in 2006

There were 2 rooms linked by a water passage, it was a hard map because you drop into the water from your base and swim through the water passage where everyone tried to knife you, then as you swam up into the oponents base there would be players stood shooting into the water - Very tough in CTF mode.

Cool map though I never forgot it.

http://www.fcmaps.net/map/aquatic-sci-fi

ImGonaG3tUsucka
08-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Great Idea having a contest akilyoung. You may come up with some other themes, when the game comes out. From the videos and the demo I played there maybe assets to make city maps. It was difficult to make city maps with past FCs because of the assets. So the hometown theme is a good one on the list. Even maybe largest Known city near you, but you may have to be careful with object limits. I think a post apocalyptic map would be a good one on the list too.

Fallen-Champ
08-01-2017, 07:32 PM
I agree it could be an option to see what the new editor gives us, I am sure with every new video we see some will notice new assets that we might get to use.
I like the idea of an all Indoor Map and maybe all wooden (Lumberjack) so a map using only wooden assets - also a Race theme, maybe even Escape maps if the new editor allows it.

akilyoung
08-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Oh yeah good ideas. We did do 'Mapocalpse' a post apocalyptic contest in the past, I think the guidlines were to take one of your existing maps and convert it to post apoc. Got lots of entries and great maps out of it. Was one of our best contests IIR.

Ill add that to the list, and Ill wait on the city one until I hear more about the IGE

Ubi-KitKoumal
08-05-2017, 04:11 PM
I need to have a chat with people in our side to see if someone would like to join and help me do the map, I'm not confident I could lead a project like that by myself really haha!

I'll share my result if I actually manage to do this map. I was thinking a lot about the Little Mermaid, but I guess a much more dangerous Mermaid if she's in the Far Cry universe. x)

Fallen-Champ
08-05-2017, 05:32 PM
I need to have a chat with people in our side to see if someone would like to join and help me do the map, I'm not confident I could lead a project like that by myself really haha!

It would be interesting after Map Jam 1 to see if any are interested in a project like you mention - or do we wait for Far Cry 5 ?
I have ideas already for a base half submerged by water - would rather make it for multiplayer though.

akilyoung
08-06-2017, 12:00 AM

I'll share my result if I actually manage to do this map. I was thinking a lot about the Little Mermaid, but I guess a much more dangerous Mermaid if she's in the Far Cry universe. x)

That would be awesome to see your map. Under water would be a cool idea, but FC5 would have to have the abilities and assets to make that work, and we dont know if it does yet, so I added it to the list of competition options, and if theres a way to make a map appear underwater, then it would be a sweet competition to try our hands at!

akilyoung
08-06-2017, 12:02 AM
It would be interesting after Map Jam 1 to see if any are interested in a project like you mention - or do we wait for Far Cry 5 ?
I have ideas already for a base half submerged by water - would rather make it for multiplayer though.

This contest was intended for FC5 Steve, are you talking about doing something totally separate in FC4 prior to FC5 release, and after MJ1? Send me a PM at BM

akilyoung
08-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Dang Robz, you made that damn near impossible!

And yes, as for any of the competitions we hold, it doesnt matter if you had previously made the map, as long as it fits the theme, so if we hold that kind of contest in the future, you can certainly enter it!

Alpha_sgt_14
10-13-2017, 12:08 AM
I like this idea man. I'll be down for about any theme just let me know when the start/ stop date are and I'm all in :)

Alpha_sgt_14
10-15-2017, 05:19 PM
The underwater theme would be awesome to make :). Have we narrowed one down yet Btw?

akilyoung
10-19-2017, 01:50 AM
My apologies for the silence fellas...

We are working behind the scenes at BM right now, trying to get things situated for launch, preparing for changes to the site to 'freshen' it up a bit etc

We were *planning* on starting the contest once FC5 released as there were the current Ubi contest as well as other fan contests running from FCUniverse.

Do you guys think the demand is there to start a contest prior to launch using the FC4 ige?

If so, Ill talk to Maxpower and Fallenchamp and see if we can get things going. I personally am not opposed to it...Ill check back tomorrow!

AW LOST SOLDIER
10-19-2017, 09:08 AM
My apologies for the silence fellas...

We are working behind the scenes at BM right now, trying to get things situated for launch, preparing for changes to the site to 'freshen' it up a bit etc

We were *planning* on starting the contest once FC5 released as there were the current Ubi contest as well as other fan contests running from FCUniverse.

Do you guys think the demand is there to start a contest prior to launch using the FC4 ige?

If so, Ill talk to Maxpower and Fallenchamp and see if we can get things going. I personally am not opposed to it...Ill check back tomorrow!

Yes the demand is there, im running my 3rd club contest since my xbox club started in july. mappers want a reason to get back in the map editor to get ready for fc5.

akilyoung
10-19-2017, 03:08 PM
I posed the question to the guys, ill keep ya posted..

ImGonaG3tUsucka
10-31-2017, 07:59 PM
How about doing one on FC4 while we are waiting for FC5?

If Ubisoft is not having any more Map Jams until Far Cry 5 sounds good to me.. It might be good to test out Battlemap`s site. That's if the contest is linked to the site and before the Far Cry 5 rolls out.

akilyoung
11-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Were working on upgrading BM behind the scenes, upgrades to the database, chat, layout etc, to have a more modern site with a better ease of use.

Ill talk to the guys again, but I dont think well be running a full on contest, maybe an informal 'contest', Ill give you guys a theme and run with it type thing, then you can upload the maps at BM to test the database out. We will still test out the maps and give our opinions on who the winner would be too.

I just expect much of a turnout for it at this point.

Mind you I only have FC4 on PS4, so can only check out the maps on that console. I think Steve has it on PS4 and PC if I am not mistaken. I think Greg has it on PS4 as well, so I am not sure how we would test XB1 maps either. Unless XB1 creators showcased their maps on youtube.

So it would just be a scrapped together thing...

Fallen-Champ
11-02-2017, 03:38 PM
I am multi platform right now with XB1, PC , PS4

akilyoung
11-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Didnt realize that Steve,

Send me PM at bm and well just pick a theme

akilyoung
11-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Ill just make the decision to have an unofficial 'contest' so you guys have something tom build to keep your map making skills up!

So this time well go with Sabotur's idea to have a contest making a nostalgia map.

Theme: Nostalgia ... Deadline: 12/1/17

Recreate a map from another FPS game that you like. It can be from any FPS game.

Map must be made using ASSAULT MODE so it plays like a MP map would.

The must be a video on youtube showing the original, for comparison sake in judging. Map must be as close to the original as possible, in scale, design and assets. Brownie points given to custom asset creation in attempt to mimic the original map's assets.

Map pictures and description must be uploaded into the www.battlemap.net database for consideration. A map file and video link can also be uploaded in as well, but not required.

I will help judge on PS4, Fallen Champ can help on all 3 platforms. Ill look into finding one more judge as well by the time the contest ends.

Again...this is unofficial, just something to give you guys to hold you over till FC5 comes. So have fun mapping!

ImGonaG3tUsucka
11-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Ill just make the decision to have an unofficial 'contest' so you guys have something tom build to keep your map making skills up!

So this time well go with Sabotur's idea to have a contest making a nostalgia map.

Recreate a map from another FPS game that you like. It can be from any FPS game.

Map must be made using ASSAULT MODE so it plays like a MP map would.

The must be a video on youtube showing the original, for comparison sake in judging. Map must be as close to the original as possible, in scale, design and assets. Brownie points given to custom asset creation in attempt to mimic the original map's assets.

Map pictures and description must be uploaded into the www.battlemap.net database for consideration. A map file and video link can also be uploaded in as well, but not required.

I will help judge on PS4, Fallen Champ can help on all 3 platforms. Ill look into finding one more judge as well by the time the contest ends.

Again...this is unofficial, just something to give you guys to hold you over till FC5 comes. So have fun mapping!

That's awesome akilyoung. If you need a hand in Judging the contest. I could help. I have Xb1 and PC.. I am waiting for Santa Claus to get a PS4..:rolleyes:. Not sure on the rules, but I don't think it would be fair if the judges have maps in the contest. If there are maps in the contest from Judges then it would be used for inspiration purposes.

Fallen-Champ
11-04-2017, 05:52 PM
I am waiting for Santa Claus to get a PS4..:rolleyes:

Seriously - will you go for the PS4 Pro ?
I am not saying one is any better than another with the standard PS4 and XB1 but when you see how quick and easy share factory is you will never want to use upload studio again.

ImGonaG3tUsucka
11-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Seriously - will you go for the PS4 Pro ?
I am not saying one is any better than another with the standard PS4 and XB1 but when you see how quick and easy share factory is you will never want to use upload studio again.

I'm not sure which one. I have been debating everything xbxone x, PS4 and or PS4 Pro.. I have not been able to get into my back log of games on my PC or XB1.. So getting a PS4 seems kind of fruitless for one game..but would love to play and do some videos of the awesome maps on PS4. I have been hoping Steve64b would refine his mapswapper. so I could play PS4 maps with out spending a couple hundred dollars on a console that I would not use all that much. I am hoping maybe Far Cry 5 maps could be share between systems or at least the best ones.. So I'm still up in the air about it. I'm sure when the game Far Cry 5 is released I will have it all sorted out.

akilyoung
11-04-2017, 10:47 PM
Send me a PM over at battlemap and well go over it all, I wont be able to get back to you till tomorrow (sunday)

Steve64b
11-04-2017, 10:55 PM

Recreate a map from another FPS game that you like. It can be from any FPS game.WOW, I actually just realized. Remaking a classic MP map would be more doable than a SinglePlayer map, because MOST FPS GAMES, INCLUDING THE EARLY ONES FROM WOLFENSTEIN 3D on have had interactive objects, be it doors (some which require keys), switches, elevators and/or shootable triggers. I knew Far Cry's Map Editor not having these constructs is a very limiting factor, I just never realized how common these constructs have been in the world of FPS games!

Fallen-Champ
11-04-2017, 10:55 PM
You can play most PS4 maps on PC via map swapper we could even do it in coop.
The only issue is that sometimes the terrain might appear black - to fix it you just open the map in the editor then play and its ok, or save the map then play it.

VnR-Popey
11-05-2017, 06:39 AM
+1 Honey I shrunk the MAPPER (tiny player in huge world)