PDA

View Full Version : After Desmond, the franchise declined

matt57xstr
07-24-2017, 07:10 AM
I personally love Desmond, in fact AC was the first game I ever got with my fist console. Compared to other games it was completely different than any other game at the time. The whole syfi aspect of the animus intrigued me. The modern day story was fantastic and with every Ezio game up until AC3 I was eager to find out about Minerva and Juno. Black flag was an amazing naval game but for me it didn't feel as an assassins creed game at all. Of course there were AC concepts but from the feel of it, it was a pirate with a hidden blade. The modern day story line in black flag did turn the tides regarding a new plot twists. Unity was a fairly decent game for the next gen console's yet it got lost with all of the hype and unmet expectations that the fans had. None the less unity offered a new take as to how we viewed ac games. Unfortunately for unity its too glitchy which in turn robbed me not only from the main story but in Multiplayer as well. I didnt even bother with syndicate because it felt uninteresting. If you think of it in this perspective, what was the conflict in the first place. To find the apple, once found in AC the revelation that there are more pieces of eden deepened the story considerably. Desmond escaping abstergo and in turn becoming an assassin and Minerva making her debut in AC2 with that cliffhanger until brotherhood came further make the modern day plot even more interesting. In other words Assassins creed made its mark to us fans not only because of its interesting concept but through its dual storyline. one cannot thrive without the other or else we just have a past stand alone which has been the case for the past couple of games now. Dont get me wrong the rest of the AC games are good but, they could have been a lot better considering that we have been out of the loop in the present story line for about 7 years now with yearly releases.

Xstantin
07-24-2017, 11:54 PM
Agreed. At some point I actually paid attention to what Juno/TWKB would say. 16's ramblings were creepy and cool in their own way.

Altair, Ezio and Connor felt more relevant and important to Desmond's progression than one and gone protags (even though I really like Edward and Arno).

AC used to have the weird conspiracy vibe and sense of at least some semblance. I used to look forward to wtf endings.

The floating tablet person was never exciting imo.

If anything Horizon Zero Dawn is doing a better job than AC concerning lost civilizations and the chosen ones with special heritage right now.

WendysBrioche
07-26-2017, 01:02 PM
For me, I only felt the modern day declined.

I really enjoyed the historical main characters and their world's post AC III, and to a great degree even more so.

Syndicate was a complete game, sadly ignored and overlooked, and I believe undiscovered due to franchise fatigue and Unitys problems, Unity was lacking but I personally think that had to do with the changes to the engine and developing their tech, and AC IV was just an amazing game and one of the best open worlds I've played, and THE best looking made on last gen tech. Content wise Black Flag was rife, vibrant, and just so expansive.

Some of the most freedom I've ever felt in a game.

cawatrooper9
07-27-2017, 05:05 PM
For me, I only felt the modern day declined.

I really enjoyed the historical main characters and their world's post AC III, and to a great degree even more so.

Bingo.

AC's been an easy target for some people lately given the weakened MD overarching story, but the games themselves haven't been consistently bad after Desmond. In fact, one of the universally accepted best games (Black Flag) was after the fact anyway.

WendysBrioche
07-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Bingo.

AC's been an easy target for some people lately given the weakened MD overarching story, but the games themselves haven't been consistently bad after Desmond. In fact, one of the universally accepted best games (Black Flag) was after the fact anyway.
Ya, I'd say it's much more than fair to say Black Flag wasn't a bad game because of it's modern day.

The map, ocean, features and activities are a far cry better than what they had in previous installments. (Sorry I'm just having too much fun with stupid puns today. Ooh that rhymed!)

But for real, I still enjoy Black Flag a lot. Love the hunting by row boat, and the beautiful storms at sea, rogue waves, water spouts. Nothing lacked in that game.

Unless except for maybe a fully explorable Cuba and Jamaica if you're crazy and insatiable, but for that much landmass that's just not feasible.

Hmmm. I hate to be a buzz kill but there's a persistent problem with modern day in the latest games, I don't think anyone wants to admit it, and it has to do with the graphics of modern games.

In terms of modern day missions, it's rather difficult to make modern world scenes on par graphically with the actual historical game map in terms of backdrops for open scenes.

Otherwise it's limited to confined areas where you can't get a good view of anything, and what do you want Ubi to do? Make two open world maps for historical and present day?

It's essentially making two games in one.

It's probably been pointed out in older threads on the same subject, but the more development you put into the modern day, the more it takes away from the core game.

Devs are gonna for sure eyeroll at, and maybe kill me for saying this, but perhaps at some point in the far, far, future, modern day could be tied to a spin off series, that's the only way I see modern day getting what people are wanting in terms of missions.

It's just too much development wise in the core series if you want the main game and historical settings to be truly prosperous.

All that can be done for the core games is to use enclosed spaces, inside a building, an arena, etc for modern day maps. But nothing's ever going to happen in terms of an explorable outdoors world, unless you want both md and the historical game to be much more lack luster in contrast to what the core game could be with more focus and attention.

cawatrooper9
07-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Hmmm. I hate to be a buzz kill but there's a persistent problem with modern day in the latest games, I don't think anyone wants to admit it, and it has to do with the graphics of modern games.

In terms of modern day missions, it's rather difficult to make modern world scenes on par graphically with the actual historical game map in terms of backdrops for open scenes.

Otherwise it's limited to confined areas where you can't get a good view of anything, and what do you want Ubi to do? Make two open world maps for historical and present day?

It's essentially making two games in one.

It's probably been pointed out in older threads on the same subject, but the more development you put into the modern day, the more it takes away from the core game.

Devs are gonna for sure eyeroll at, and maybe kill me for saying this, but perhaps at some point in the far, far, future, modern day could be tied to a spin off series, that's the only way I see modern day getting what people are wanting in terms of missions.

It's just too much development wise in the core series if you want the main game and historical settings to be truly prosperous.

All that can be done for the core games is to use enclosed spaces, inside a building, an arena, etc for modern day maps. But nothing's ever going to happen in terms of an explorable outdoors world, unless you want both md and the historical game to be much more lack luster in contrast to what the core game could be with more focus and attention.

I think that's fine.
I don't think most people expect a fully open world MD experience. The Brotherhood and ACIII MDs were a pretty good start. A solid linear experience with a good story, third person protagonist, and interesting twists is really all we ask. I don't think that's asking too horribly much.

strigoi1958
07-28-2017, 05:57 PM
@WendysBrioche and @cawatrooper9

Reading these 2 posts and based loosely on things in other threads and an idea I suggested for MD to become prominent again....it gives me an idea....

Instead of having all the pointless unrelated collectables in ac games they are replaced by specific missions or puzzles (related to us by Shaun or Rebecca (or whoever is in contact with us) ). When we get to the location or we either complete some obstacle course or solve a puzzle then we find a message/ clue (maybe data, that when it is input into a pc it reveals itself as a message from Minerva). The clues show the location of a piece of Eden. (But not until the last one is found at the end of the game) During the game there are just a few voice messages or cut scenes from the MD but, after the historical game has end there could be a cut scene of the MD team arriving outside a museum/ villa or anywhere that is guarded. The cut scene ends and the MD protagonists solves the puzzle that unlocks the door and enters.... it can be all based in that one building then....

Avoid or stun guards, pick locks, use eagle vision (like in previous games on paintings to open a secret room) steal/ pickpocket keycards from guards then eventually overcome the obstacles in the final room before obtaining the item (there could even be a sort of flash and vision involving a message from Juno/ Minerva) then escape back through the building and into a cut scene back in the van with Shaun and Rebecca debating the power/ importance of this piece and what it can do.

I guess that might work and give the MD fans something that adds a little mystery and plot twist while playing as an MD protagonist While still avoiding the problems of building 2 separate games in one...

DSD27
07-30-2017, 01:16 PM
Not really, IV Black Flag is my favorite game in the series and for many many people as well, and not only in the series, it's one of my favorite games ever. I laso really enjoyed Rogue and Unity, way more than I enjoyed the boring III for example. But I agree it's not the same. With Desnond we had that story connecting all the games, now we still have it but it's going really slow and doesn't make us want to play the next gane to find out what happens.