PDA

View Full Version : The reason I think berserker isn't weak

SikanderAzam
07-22-2017, 09:58 PM
I posted yesterday asking about the difficulty of my CGB against a berserker. I was told that the timing is the same for everyone, but berserker's animation frames just makes it smoother. So perhaps it may be the same timing but it isn't as telegraphed, it's more seamless. But the main thing that makes berserker tough for me is that in the "defensive meta" as someone who played Valk as a main, I rely heavily on being able to disengage and wait for an opportune moment to jump back in. Berserker denies both these things. Sure, you can turtle up and berserker can't crack you, but the virtually unlimited stamina to just spew forth a torrent of infinite attacks means that if you try to roll away to disengage, instead you're going to get popped. You're also risking getting hit if you try to attack, because the dodges into free strikes are real. The problem is that if you turtle up against this enemy that doesn't really lose any stamina, eventually someone else is going to come along and kill you in what is now a 2v1, or he's going to finally land a GB and just whittle your HP down.

Maybe it was just a particular weakness of mine. I'm not saying that he's actually overpowered, but I don't think he's as awful as he's made out to be on the forums.

SikanderAzam
07-22-2017, 10:15 PM
I'm on PS4, but I really really really really wish I could show you guys videos of what I'm talking about. I just CANNOT CGB this guy and his attacks overrides all of mine. It's to the point where I just automatically refuse combat to centurions in closed spaces and berserkers in any 1v1 setting, because I know that all they have to do is mash their buttons and I won't be able to stop them. They have such a simple and predictable moveset, but it just blasts through anything I throw at them.

Moondyne_MC
07-23-2017, 01:01 AM
I'm also on PS4 (albeit in Australia) if you want to add me and we can do some tests/custom matches or whatever. Moondyne_MC or MoondyneMC, can't remember which lol. I play Berserker as one of my secondaries and know him reasonably well.

All I can really tell you is how I deal with Berserkers and what they can do.

1. Very short range, only gap closer moves both come from the top, so always guard top when at a distance. Both easy to parry if you're confident.

2. Infinite combo - once 2 moves are in, becomes uninterruptible with lowered stamina usage. If you can block the first 2 strikes, he will not be able to continue. Requires a heavy attack to be thrown every second move, which leaves them very open to parries if they're not feinting their heavies.

3. Spin Chops - if you manage to break a Berserkers offence, most of the time they'll throw in a spin chop to try and disorient and begin the combo again. Even though the spin chop is a light attack, it has the parry timing of a heavy, and they can't feint it. This means if you can predict or bait a spin chop, it's an easy parry > punish.

That's pretty much everything the Berserker can do, apart from his near useless zone attack. Anything else is just feinting, which the Berserker is admittedly fairly strong at, but even then there's only a couple things he can do. He can either feint his heavies in to GB's, or feint his heavies into lights. Feinting in to lights is harder and with next to no range, so counter with longer range moves if possible.

I can't really offer any advice to your trouble with CGBing him, as I personally find Berserkers GB among the most telegraphed.. However, I have had PLENTY of instances of enemy GB's being invisible (Lawbie being the worst offender for me) which I just chalk up to general latency. Is it possibly just coincidence it often seems to happen to Berserkers for you?

Tundra 793
07-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Infinite combo - once 2 moves are in, becomes uninterruptible with lowered stamina usage.

The problem is that if you turtle up against this enemy that doesn't really lose any stamina

Unless I completely overlooked the recent patch notes, the Berserker's Infinite Combo stamina buff was removed months ago as a counter to lowering the hit requirement to 2.

On top of that, the heavy feinting most Berserker's tend to do also depletes their stamina much faster.

There's no reason the Berserker's you fight wouldn't lose a lot of stamina fairly quickly, unless they actually turtle up.

Crackatawa96
07-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Here's my tip on how to fight berserker... play lawbringer.

bmason1000
07-23-2017, 03:44 PM
Unless I completely overlooked the recent patch notes, the Berserker's Infinite Combo stamina buff was removed months ago as a counter to lowering the hit requirement to 2.

On top of that, the heavy feinting most Berserker's tend to do also depletes their stamina much faster.

There's no reason the Berserker's you fight wouldn't lose a lot of stamina fairly quickly, unless they actually turtle up.

I'm an exclusive berserker player. My stamina bar is always in danger of depletion. It dictates almost every decision i make because it's gone so fast. Constant risk of being OOS.