PDA

View Full Version : Timing and reflex guard post 1.09

bmason1000
07-22-2017, 02:28 AM
Hey there community,

Started this conversation in another thread and felt bad about hijacking it. I'm noticing after the new patch that my berserkers dodge and block/guardswitch mechanics seem impossibly sluggish. Was wondering if anyone else feels the same?

Does timing feel worse, improved, the same for you?
Are you playing assassins?

bmason1000
07-22-2017, 02:38 AM
I'm not even talking about parrying. Just straight up blocking. In 1v1 situations it feels much more difficult, in groups it's even worse.

brashtralas
07-22-2017, 04:07 AM
I'm glad and sorry to see it's not just me. I can't seem to block any assassin or samurai attacks now with my lawbringer. And sadly I outrun their attack with my block by a long shot.

I'm really confused, and it's frustrating.

CandleInTheDark
07-22-2017, 09:50 AM
I managed a decent enough percentage with the shinobi just now, but their timing has always been tight. We also won that dominion with the opponents only having 78 points on the board so that might not quite be representative.

SerArthur-Dayne
07-22-2017, 10:02 AM
I fully 100% agree. Came back after a month or two, and orochi feels broken. Hits are just going straight through blocks all the time. Feels off

bmason1000
07-22-2017, 12:30 PM
Appreciate the feedback, guys. I put this question on the gfaqs board too, seems like it's not specific to assassins but for whatever reason far more assassins are reporting similar results. Might be coincidence, might be all in our heads...might be we need more data haha

CandleInTheDark
07-22-2017, 01:02 PM
I have to say I usually dodge and deflect, so likely there is little way for me to tell the difference.I deliberately set out to block with a shinobi for a period of time, made four out of seven, I would have to see how it is with my warden or nobushi to be sure but even then I tend to dodge and charge or use Hidden Stance. No problem believing there is a difference just not one I would naturally see lol.

Alustar.
07-22-2017, 02:13 PM
I'm a returning player and I've noticed that you now have the option to adjust the dead zones on your controllers. This has helped improve my block rate on my PK main dramatically. I turned it down to a 4-6 value depending on latency. Hope those help.

CandleInTheDark
07-22-2017, 02:23 PM
I'm a returning player and I've noticed that you now have the option to adjust the dead zones on your controllers. This has helped improve my block rate on my PK main dramatically. I turned it down to a 4-6 value depending on latency. Hope those help.

Welcome back Alustar. That might also be why I see no difference, I have an elite controller, my deadzone on my right stick is already set to instant in my xbox config.

fretti21
07-22-2017, 02:24 PM
Your not alone, had to dump my conq, assassin classes lights was getting too frustrating to try to block. I all so noticed that my gstance did not change correctly, was guarding left and switched to right and it just bounced back to left, multiple times.

BudgetParrot118
07-22-2017, 02:54 PM
Your not alone, had to dump my conq, assassin classes lights was getting too frustrating to try to block. I all so noticed that my gstance did not change correctly, was guarding left and switched to right and it just bounced back to left, multiple times.

My only complaint is that I actually feel that guarding is better but the whole unlocking off your enemy say you're fighting somebody and their Ally runs up you know and you're low on health from pretty even battle you can't run the minute you and lot beserk relax and stays locked and you can't retreat and it's always that few crucial seconds is what gets you killed

Another issue I was having is after the Patch there's been areas that you hung up and it's always at corners however the surface is flat there's nothing sticking out but the only way to get out of it is to go away from the wall I think that needs to be fixed and like I said it always happens at Corners there's a lot of them on the bridge map

bmason1000
07-22-2017, 04:00 PM
My only complaint is that I actually feel that guarding is better but the whole unlocking off your enemy say you're fighting somebody and their Ally runs up you know and you're low on health from pretty even battle you can't run the minute you and lot beserk relax and stays locked and you can't retreat and it's always that few crucial seconds is what gets you killed

Another issue I was having is after the Patch there's been areas that you hung up and it's always at corners however the surface is flat there's nothing sticking out but the only way to get out of it is to go away from the wall I think that needs to be fixed and like I said it always happens at Corners there's a lot of them on the bridge map

I thought i was going nuts. I keep getting hung up on corners at sanctuary bridge, too. Never happened before.

Group fights are definitely where I'm experiencing the most trouble, as well.

As far as the deadzone slider, I've had it set at 2 since the option became available, but I'm definitely willing to fiddle with it a bit. Thanks for the feedback!

Alustar.
07-22-2017, 04:46 PM
A tip for helping manage the dead zone slider, the lower the value the more responsive it will be to input. This is a double edge sword however as the slightest deviation from a solid right input into say a slight right-up input could mean the difference between an actual right block versus an upper block. I would advise slowly decreasing the value till you find your sweet spot.

RatedChaotic
07-22-2017, 05:20 PM
A tip for helping manage the dead zone slider, the lower the value the more responsive it will be to input. This is a double edge sword however as the slightest deviation from a solid right input into say a slight right-up input could mean the difference between an actual right block versus an upper block. I would advise slowly decreasing the value till you find your sweet spot.

This. I've tried 0 on setting and instant on my elite controller config. The slightest touch would switch your guard direction or even trying to go left to right it will read up or down in the process I noticed this on my conq because i kept going into full block just by trying to block left or right. I now use smooth setting and about 3 on the slider. It works really well.

UbiNoty
07-22-2017, 09:54 PM
Is everyone on XB1? I
've seen a few reports that controller input is laggy/not going through properly after 1.09, and I've brought it up to the team to look at - but more information would be nice so we know the scope of what we're dealing with.

CandleInTheDark
07-22-2017, 09:59 PM
This. I've tried 0 on setting and instant on my elite controller config. The slightest touch would switch your guard direction or even trying to go left to right it will read up or down in the process I noticed this on my conq because i kept going into full block just by trying to block left or right. I now use smooth setting and about 3 on the slider. It works really well.

I kind of like that it is pretty instant in terms of switching, it is the one I was using and I am generally accurate with it though there were times I was all what the hell I blocked that, so I might give it a try the way you have it now, see how I take to that one.

SikanderAzam
07-22-2017, 10:09 PM
Is everyone on XB1? I
've seen a few reports that controller input is laggy/not going through properly after 1.09, and I've brought it up to the team to look at - but more information would be nice so we know the scope of what we're dealing with.

I'm on PS4. When I came back yesterday to check out the patch, if anything it felt smoother to me. I have no issues with anything that was released in 1.09.

bmason1000
07-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Is everyone on XB1? I
Ps4. Dodge and guard switch just feel a little off, i really wish i could give you more because i know that's awfully vague. To me it's most noticeable in group fight situations. I've posted this on other forums and it seems more assassins are feeling it but honestly even that's been inconsistent. I'm beginning to think its all in my head.

However, if you think it's worth bringing up, thats my feedback. Thanks for lookin out noty, you're awesome.

vgrimr_J
07-23-2017, 11:57 AM
Is everyone on XB1? I

revenge activation has been off since season 2 started you just smash the button and nothing happens same goes with rolling

CandleInTheDark
07-23-2017, 12:01 PM
revenge activation has been off since season 2 started you just smash the button and nothing happens

Can't say as I have noticed that and I generally time revenge popping to knock at least one of my opponents over.

RatedChaotic
07-23-2017, 04:43 PM
I kind of like that it is pretty instant in terms of switching, it is the one I was using and I am generally accurate with it though there were times I was all what the hell I blocked that, so I might give it a try the way you have it now, see how I take to that one.

Yeah I was running into the same thing. Wasnt sure if it was my settings or the game. So I went full on instant and 0 on slider(in game deadzone slider) and had both these issues. Now I'm slowly backing it off. Currently on my above setting. It works good. Still needs some testing to find that setting that fits me.. I also check the box to use radial calculation.

I've been going back and forth from 3 - 5 on the slider. Trying to minimize those "Thats bs I blocked that" moments. 4 might be my sweet spot with smooth setting.

I did notice with instant and 0 on the slider my guard change would change from left block to up or full stance. Even with holding it left. It would still change because it was way too sensitive for me.

I also noticed that at times if you held left or right and let go of your stick or tried going to center. Your guard would go to the opposite direction and back by itself afterwards. It happens really fast and its hard to notice that one. Keep your eye out for that one happening. With instant and 0 it happend almost every time I would change my guard from left to center or right to center. It would pick up that i was going straight across. It was just too sensitive.

Yeah I test alot and do it in custom games in a 1vX setting(usually 1v3) vs lvl 1 bots since they just mostly attack and not gb or much of anything else. It lets me concentrate on just the guard change, blocking, and parrying mechanics and timings for my settings. With not much else in the way. I dont attack. i just get myself in the middle of that triangle and block and parry. Thats how I adjust mine.

But found that smooth setting with 3 - 5 on the slider has helped me with those quick guard change parries/blocks and I have fewer "thats bs" moments lol. I actually did 6 back to back parries coming from 3 different opponents. The dreaded triangle of death. I usually cant do that. That damn delayed charged heavy stopped my parry train. lol But with just looking at how the game was reacting my control inputs. This setting helped me.

@UbiNoty I play on xbox aswell. I know this is basically based on how my hand movements are. We are all different in terms of how soft or strongly we push the controls. But thought I would share my findings and maybe it could help a player out in some way.