PDA

View Full Version : Berserker thoughts?

timur_the_boss
07-20-2017, 02:31 AM
Hey, Been picking up Berserker recently as a new main character, I started off with Conq, and I love playing with this guy, his movement is great, his attacks and grabs if you chain them work perfectly well, and I like having poison and stamina drain in his feat i think its really good in 4 v 4 situations.

what's your positives and negatives on berserker? I'd say he's balanced IMO

bmason1000
07-20-2017, 04:04 AM
Negatives:
- lacks an opener. All your enemy has to do is block and cgb, and that's it, fights over. They literally can just block and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. If they're parry people, then you're good. Feint and destroy. Real savage like.
- reflex guard is kinda buggy. There's a couple other glitches that other users can expand upon in great detail. I can not.

Positives:
- literally everything else. Seriously. Not an exaggeration.
- 2v1 Champion of the Gods. Start working on your target switching game and 2v1 situations will no longer be a threat but your favorite sport instead. So fun. I see you other players. Running in pairs out there in the battle field? Yeah, you guys. I'm coming for you.

Tundra 793
07-20-2017, 07:16 AM
Weird how after months of neglect and silence, Berserker threads are getting lively in General Discussion.

Anyway, on topic;

Good stuff:

- Can tear newbies in half more effectively than most other classes.
- Fun concept, fun class.

Bad stuff:

- Literally everything else. Like Mason said, the class doesn't have any opener, which is bad under any circumstance but the turtle meta just boosts the problem since the class also lacks any unblockable attacks or combos.
The entire class is based around 1 move, the Infinite Chain. And against anyone who knows how to block, or god forbid, parry, it's just parry bait. As are most of all the other moves and combos. I think the only attack Berserker's have that won't get blocked or parried is the Boar Rush.

It's the class I love, the only one I feel like playing, and It's frustrating beyond belief because you can't play it as intended.

Not a lot of bugs though, so for what It's worth it's probably one of the most, if not the most, wholesome and balanced hero from a developers stand point.

PDXGorechild
07-20-2017, 09:40 AM
Weird how after months of neglect and silence, Berserker threads are getting lively in General Discussion.

I know, right?!

Hey, Been picking up Berserker recently as a new main character, I started off with Conq, and I love playing with this guy, his movement is great, his attacks and grabs if you chain them work perfectly well, and I like having poison and stamina drain in his feat i think its really good in 4 v 4 situations.

Conqueror and Berserker huh, man, you've got a hard row ahead of you. Personally I started with Berserker because it said "Difficulty: Hard" and I probably have an inflated opinion of my own gaming ability due to being a gamer since gaming was a thing. I also have a love for all things Viking, Dual wielding and going Berserk. Hell, my nickname is even derived from a Berserkers axe some 38,000 years in the future.

Anyway here's my two cents:

Pro's:

1. Fun. Dunno about anyone else, but once you've got a feel for him, no other class feels as good. The dodging, leaping, spinning and potential fluidity of his attacks make the class feel like a whirling dervish of death. In concept, I think the dev's really nailed this class.

2. Noob Stomping - Using dance of the paired blades, our infinite chain, i've literally stripped players health from 100 - > 0 in a matter of seconds, whilst they stagger, flail about and just generally panic. This feels awesome. The only downside is the noob will then often go to the forums complaining that Berserkers are overpowered because they haven't learn to dodge or parry yet, which is detrimental as in fact the class is currently under-powered.

3. High damage. If you have the skills to bring it to bear, he's one of the heaviest hitters in the game.

4. Pretty good for 4v4. His chain attack can be used against multiple opponents, and although not easy, once you've got the hang of it - can be really satisfying. If a player is ignoring you and has their back to you whilst fighting someone else you can quickly make them regret it: Your slow, high damage top heavies are sure to land. Players in 4v4 games are also generally less adept at blocking, parrying, guard breaking etc which are all things the Berserker suffers heavily against.

5. Strong against other assassin classes. You're a sort of Assassinator of assassins. The anti-hitman. The one the peacekeeper see's standing beside a king she intends to slit the throat of and thinks "Oh...Sh!t."

Cons:

1. Lack of openers. Said before a million times. The Berserker has short range, no unblockable moves and a low health pool. These three things in combination means you have to get up close and personal with classes who revel in the idea of you doing so. Think punching a brick wall repeatedly with your bare knuckles and the outcome is similar.

2. Telegraphed attacks. Your heavy hitting moves are very slow. This gives your opponents lots of time to react and pull off a Parry, which in my opinion is the Kryptonite of the Berserker. You can't take too many Parry ---> Guaranteed heavies.

(These two points above are exacerbated terribly by the current "Defensive-Meta".)

3. Limited move set. The Berserker doesn't have a lot of moves, and a couple of them you will learn to never use. This becomes more apparent in Brawl or Duel modes when you fight opponents who actually know what they are doing. Which brings me to my next point..

4. The Zerker is a different beast in Duels, Brawls, and elimination to a degree. In order to stand a chance against people 1v1 who are clued up in these game modes you're gonna have to change your playstyle drastically. You've got to learn to feint and make as much use as possible of GB > Wall throw > Top heavy. Even if you master this, you will lose against most people if they are of a similar skill level and playing a different class.

5. Weak against every class other than the assassins. I find Nobushi to be a tough but decent match, and the raider doesn't give me too much trouble, but everything else is a nightmare. Especially if played defensively.

Overall i'd say he's worth the frustration. Just be prepared for the worst.

I just read over this and remembered how much terminology I use now that I never used to understand when I first came to the forums, so if you're unclear on any of it - just ask ;)

CandleInTheDark
07-20-2017, 09:55 AM
In terms of openers and such, that might be a none issue in the near future with the defensive meta stuff, we should know more after the Den today. I remember one of the streamers who had tested the season 2 stuff said they had a look at the season 3 stuff that was programmed at that time and berserker was a powerhouse with it. If they really do make out of stamina more dangerous, then berserker has a decent advantage in guardbreaks and deflects also in that his punch from guardbreak drains stamina.

PDXGorechild
07-20-2017, 11:59 AM
@CandeInTheDark: Yeah, the defensive meta patch could fix all the Berserkers problems in one. Hence why i've refrained from posting my own "Berserker issues" thread. I don't mind having no openers if our fast, multi-directional attacks are a nightmare to counter. I'm hoping they up the chip damage, reduce rewards for parrying or make it considerably more difficult and make our stamina-draining ability more dangerous. We could go from being an underdog to a hyper-lethal vector. Fingers crossed.

Rikuto01.tv
07-20-2017, 02:02 PM
If chip damage is increased in a big way the berserker could be great. He's maybe the only character i can think of that has a truly legit feint.

DimmerScroll021
07-20-2017, 03:53 PM

Pretty sure most people here agree that if we looked at this from a fighting game lens, berserker feels like the balance of the game. He doesn't have ridiculously OP moves and gives that sense of accomplishment when you win because you know you earned it.

I agree with All of the above but will add my own peace which the rest of these guys know about. Berserker still has a few true bugs. A dodge into head crusher will randomly get locked in the mid step animation before the jump. And our backward slashing rush (zone) is random given the left stick is very finicky in whereit is positioned as well as how the R1+R2 is pressed in order to get it off. And the other kinda laughable one is spinning chop will tell you it is uninteruptible, but everyone here will tell you that that is 100% malarkey, you will get hit out of it lol.

But he just feels so good to play, it's fluid, albeit slow, but still he moves naturally and has a ton of options.