PDA

View Full Version : Building Blocks

C0MMANDERC0LS0N
07-17-2017, 01:29 AM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nokyard/30811573840/
HEY, so I am primarily a Halo player (from the Halo community, we have a map editor of our own called 'Forge' and a website to catalog created content known as Forgehub.com) and something we've always been able to enjoy within Halo's latest map editor (Halo 5: Guardians Forge) are easy to use, texture, and color SIMPLE, BASIC GEOMETRIC BLOCKS AND SHAPES.

Something that has always been lacking in the Farcry editor in exchange for more detailed assets and most likely the annoying Objects/per grid square limitation that has always bothered me. I'd love to be able to do things like recreate my local college campus down the street, or recreate scenes from TV shows like The Walking Dead (zombie AI's plz? or at least melee only villains that DON'T throw projectiles), or make a very specific location like a Parking garage or shopping mall, but I've always found doing specific kind of things like this in the Farcry editor to be difficult (exhibit A: the fact that people have had to use terrain in order to make 'skyscrapers' for 10+ years.

If you'd like to get a better idea of the kind of geometric pieces I'm talking about, here is a Halo 5: Forge speed build you can skim through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyFabQ8YBo0

Farcry has always had incredible terrain and foliage options (as oppose to Halo's lack luster selection) whereas Halo has always allowed users to more easily create specific things due to a large assortments of geometry options, something Farcry has usually exchanged for assets- so bringing the best of both editors could lead to a lot of customization. Apologies if this thread feels a little obscure, it's my first post.

akilyoung
07-17-2017, 02:27 PM
lmao...I literally was just going to post this, no joke!

This is something weve talked about at www.battlemap.net for years!

It would use MUCH less memory, and the blocks could have built in occlusion, to make the maps run faster and smoother.

Ideally they would be scaleable to any size as well. Planet Coaster has these blocks as well, and they are all skinable with a variety of textures and colors.

We need:

-Walls
-Floors
-Roofs

and the ability to stamp/place in holes/windows/doors easily.

akilyoung
07-22-2017, 10:50 PM
I know weve talked abou those in the past Simon..we could really use them.

As for skin ability in the Dunia engine, anything is possible if they build a system for it, but even if they dont, they can make the assets pre-skinned with various textures, for example:

Cube-Stone
Cube-Brick
Cube-Stucco
Cube-Metallic

etc....

and if we had all the basic shapes, like different size cubes, cones, pyramids, arches, columns....we could built ANYTHING and the maps would be incredibly smooth running. Ideally they would all have the option to snap together, with the option to turn off snap as well.

AW LOST SOLDIER
07-27-2017, 02:38 PM
the trouble with building blocks like in forge, is they look plain cold and clinical with no texture detail. blocks with detailed texture would work.